I was accused of rape because I'm a conspiracy theorist, Russell Brand

marylander1940

I haven't heard of this guy in several years.  I never really cared for his act. The accusations are pretty bad, but there's no current criminal investigation at this point. If there's no ability or intent to prosecute him or pursue civil recourse, then it's just more news about a minor celebrity that will quickly pass.

I'm kind of struggling to find a fuck to give about it honestly.  

I've seen Russell on several programs (Real Time and Graham Norton, for example) and he was, surprisingly to me, an articulate spokesman for his point of view, and with which I generally agreed. However, if I had a position I wanted to see advanced, his persona and demeanor would be disqualifying for that task. He's just too irritating to behold.

6 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

I haven't heard of this guy in several years.  I never really cared for his act. The accusations are pretty bad, but there's no current criminal investigation at this point. If there's no ability or intent to prosecute him or pursue civil recourse, then it's just more news about a minor celebrity that will quickly pass.

I'm kind of struggling to find a fuck to give about it honestly.  

His career (thank God) was already disappearing. Unfortunately now because he's been accused of rape will start following him. 

The cult of victimhood is alive and to them HE'S the victim because 4 women so far accused him of rape and molestation. 

4 hours ago, wsc said:

I've seen Russell on several programs (Real Time and Graham Norton, for example) and he was, surprisingly to me, an articulate spokesman for his point of view, and with which I generally agreed. However, if I had a position I wanted to see advanced, his persona and demeanor would be disqualifying for that task. He's just too irritating to behold.

and he played himself while acting. 

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Once again, assault allegations from 20 years ago cripple a man's career. The women are automatically believed. Innocence until proven guilty is a faded concept.

which isn't to say that I know anything about Russell Brand.

I don't who this man is, nor do I know anything about his accuser or accusations. However, I'm getting increasingly concerned with the increasingly prevalent attitude of Accusation = Guilt in this and other countries. Have we learned nothing from the hysteria of the Salem Witch Trials of the 17th century? If there's proof, let the man be brought to justice. Otherwise I can only feel sorry for the victim--the accuser if the accusations are true, and RB if the accusations are false. Society should consider people innocent until proven guilty. 

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Once again, assault allegations from 20 years ago cripple a man's career. The women are automatically believed. Innocence until proven guilty is a faded concept.

In some cases, like Bill Cosby & Harvey Weinstein, it's understandable that accusers took so long to come forward.  Both are cases of powerful men who threatened to destroy their victims' careers & lives unless they kept their mouths shut.

Russell Brand never had that kind of power.  His alleged victims could have reported him a decade+ ago.  But if you dare so much as raise an eyebrow about these very delayed accusations, a good portion of our society will vilify you for doubting.

To destroy a man's career and reputation, all that's needed nowadays is an accusation, no evidence necessary, forget a conviction.  The Me Too movement has destroyed the once cherished presumption of innocence.

From The Onion

Nation Could Have Sworn Russell Brand Was Already Convicted Sex Offender

NEW YORK—Stressing that the memory seemed so fresh and vivid in their minds, the confused nation announced Monday that they could have sworn British entertainer Russell Brand was already a convicted sex offender.

“Interesting...so Russell Brand definitely wasn’t already found guilty of sexual assault back in, like...2016, 2017?” said 39-year-old New York resident Scott Hasard, echoing the thoughts of 330 million Americans as he noted that when he saw allegations emerge about the actor, comedian, and podcast host, he had assumed it was simply repackaged content from nearly a decade ago. “You’re telling me there wasn’t a lengthy and well-publicized trial where Brand was acquitted, but then new allegations emerged? And, like, social media posts where the women got called liars? None of that happened? Huh. I even feel like I read a think-piece about how we could still appreciate Forgetting Sarah Marshall despite his crimes. It’s probably insane to even ask this, but didn’t he release a comeback special back in 2020 about how everyone tried to cancel him for the sexual assault stuff? Seriously? Not even that?”

At press time, the baffled nation asked what had made Brand into such an unhinged and deeply frustrated person if all of this hadn’t kicked it off years ago.

YouTube just demonetized Russell Brand.  Forget about innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, YT didn’t even wait until charges were filed.

If you have 1 million subscribers, you're making a very good living on YouTube.  With 6.62 million subscribers, Brand must have been making bank, but with his channel now demonetized, his YT revenue is currently $0.00. 

Besides the YT demonetization, Brand has been dropped by his agent, his book deal was canceled, and several stops of his tour were canceled.  And all it took was an accusation.

34 minutes ago, BSR said:

YouTube just demonetized Russell Brand.  Forget about innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, YT didn’t even wait until charges were filed.

If you have 1 million subscribers, you're making a very good living on YouTube.  With 6.62 million subscribers, Brand must have been making bank, but with his channel now demonetized, his YT revenue is currently $0.00. 

Besides the YT demonetization, Brand has been dropped by his agent, his book deal was canceled, and several stops of his tour were canceled.  And all it took was an accusation.

don't worry... for instance some in this forum never heard about him before and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes even more famous, wealthy and successful and goes back to play himself in films. I'm sure some will follow him because they think he's innocent while others might do it just for the fun of good ole trolling and pissing off rape survivors etc. just to feel good about themselves.  Sad but true!

He's like Andrew Tate but without the looks, hairstyle, muscle, etc. a cheaper English version!

Edited by marylander1940

Beyond whether or not he is guilty, it is pretty easy to believe the accusations against him. He always acted like an entitled asshole. It is easy to picture him abusing women, especially so many years ago, before the rise of Me Too.

I am moved by how passionate many friends here are about this issue. I wonder whether a sincere concern for the survival of the innocence presumption principle or something else triggers that passion. I am not considering the possibility of conspiracies but simpler human miseries—for instance, instant personality empathy. 

Gay men do not know Russell Brand?? Why he is The ex husband of Katie Perry who reported that he asked her for a divorce by text on New Year's Eve just before midnight?  Granted Pop Culture in US and UK are filled with this kind of pseudo celebrities who, basically are famous for being famous.  Still, this is someone I would think that those in the Gay Know would know.  Why he probably has a higher Q score than some of the Real Housewives and definitely higher than most of the American Idol winners. That anyone, other than the five women who are accusing him and those who need to prove his guilt or innocence, would be giving this more attention than any other article in the Police Blotter of a local newspaper, is an indictment of where society has tumbled.  

Really, rape is really on Brand for Mr. Brand but it doesn't mean he did it. That is for the courts to decide and likely for his lawyers to get swept under the rug, guilty or not.  

Edited by purplekow

7 hours ago, BSR said:

To destroy a man's career and reputation, all that's needed nowadays is an accusation, no evidence necessary, forget a conviction.  The Me Too movement has destroyed the once cherished presumption of innocence.

This is ridiculous. Most sexual assaults are not reported let alone prosecuted, including mine. Watching a bunch of gay men claim women are destroying the careers of men (I can count on one hand the number who’ve faced real consequences) is just gross. 

There is extensive data going back decades showing how widespread sexual harassment and assault are. 

Brand’s accusers are all women he worked with where he had a lot of power. And other people are coming forward to say this was an open secret for years. 

21 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

I don’t believe he’s accused of human trafficking like Tate but we’ll see. 

don't mention him or they'll start defending him and saying those women "had it coming" and "knew what they signed up for". No empathy while posting in a forum is empowering!

The immediate punishment for a mere accusation of sexual misconduct is concerning because it is outside our innocent-until-proven-guilty legal tradition. The me-too movement is becoming a dangerous weapon. Our opinions about Brandt's are meaningless in a court of law...but the court of public opinion has done irreparable damage to his career already and nobdy has seen a shred of evidence against the man. Very sad.

3 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

...it is pretty easy to believe the accusations against him...

It sure is easy, especially if you don't need any evidence! 😉 As easy as slipping off a log!

off-balance-ouch.gif

Edited by Unicorn