Is Bradley Cooper's prosthetic nose comparable to doing blackface?

marylander1940

OP note: I know this articles are from April but the movie is not even finished and I'm sure this subject will come back again. Are some folks being too sensitive? 

I'm not sure if considering this subject is based on a movie should be on here or in the movie section. If you think so please report it to the Mgt. 

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Criticism focuses on the change to the appearance of the actor who directs, co-writes and stars in Maestro, biopic of the conductor and composer

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Some on social media criticized the film, which Cooper co-wrote, produced and directed, after Netflix dropped a trailer for the biopic Tuesday.

f2157a69-96f4-4585-b51c-61fe8f6fd332.jpe

Edited by marylander1940

• marylander1940 changed the title to Is Bradley Cooper's prosthetic nose comparable to doing blackface?

It wouldn't be that much of a problem if the prosthetic were at least used as an accurate approximation. However, the prosthetic seems to clearly exaggerate the maestro's nose. Also, not sure why it was necessary in the first place. Cooper looks similar enough without it. 

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

His family is fine with it, thus it's a non-issue.

You're right. No other Jewish people exist (nor would their feelings matter if there were). And I can't think of any reason at all that the family would be fine with it...

🤑🤑🤑

Edited by Unicorn

Our people have had to deal with much, much worse over the course of 3,000 years. A bit of foam latex is nothing. 

"It happens to be true that Leonard Bernstein had a nice, big nose," explained his three children in a statement. 👃

On the other hand, a real issue would have occurred if the prosthesis has been created as a hooked "beak" nose that mimics age-old, anti-semitic tropes. 

The $$ signs don't help matters. 🙄

Edited by Marc in Calif

Actors act bringing the role to life. Make up and costumes bring a touchstone to the characterization. There is nothing more to this than that.  He is Jewish and he has a big nose.  Perhaps the real issue here is why do people necessarily believe that they gave him a large nose because he was Jewish.  Now if he did not have a big nose, then I would be fine with questioning it.  If he does a nude scene, are they assuring that his penis is appropriately Jewish?

Edited by purplekow

I am.confused.

Has the make up department never added characteristics to an actor to have him look.more like the subject he is portraying?

Should only actors with a big nose be considered?

This attitude that you need to be like the characters you're playing runs against the whole idea of acting..

This issue is that Bradley Cooper's (natural) nose, according to the photos, looks more like LB's did at the age he's being portrayed than BC's nose with the prosthesis. If those photos are accurate, the producers unnecessarily exaggerated the nose size. That's the problem I see.

4 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

This issue is that Bradley Cooper's (natural) nose, according to the photos, looks more like LB's did at the age he's being portrayed than BC's nose with the prosthesis. If those photos are accurate, the producers unnecessarily exaggerated the nose size. That's the problem I see.

The issue is that "Maestro will show Leonard through different stages of his life, per Variety."

34 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

The issue is that "Maestro will show Leonard through different stages of his life, per Variety."

What the fuck? Which nose looks bigger to you? Maybe you should see an ophthalmologist.

image.thumb.png.38ffe2e5500295f78ffa7c9b0f6c38ad.png

Edited by Unicorn

I'm confused by the controversy.  Prosthetics are used all the time in film to alter the shapes and sizes of facial features - not to become stereotypical, but to enhance the accurate portrayal of a character in the eyes and minds of the audience.  If LB had a small nose but the makeup artists gave Cooper a big nose because society expects Jewish people to have larger noses, then that would have been inappropriate and offensive in my view.  The makeup on Cooper was to enhance his appearance, and I think it was done pretty tastefully - it is not caricature like in any way, and to me it is no different than if his hair colour was changed for a role.

• 2 weeks later...