Mitchell Gold Bankruptcy

MikeThomas

It looks as though you're referring to a furniture store. It's unclear to me how that could cause anyone to get into trouble. If you placed an order and they didn't deliver, simply contact your credit card company. They'd be the ones holding the ball in case of default, and they'd have to get whatever they can from the bankruptcy court. I can't imagine why anyone would pay with cash...

41 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

Hilarious that CNN compares Home Depot, Target and Best Buy to a store that sells $20K sofas and $5K coffee tables. Their main store and the owners' condos are just down the street from me in DC and I'll miss gawking at the window price tags going in my Chipotle. Admiration that they could get these prices for so long and feel bad for all the lost jobs in NC. 

12 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Hilarious that CNN compares Home Depot, Target and Best Buy to a store that sells $20K sofas and $5K coffee tables. Their main store and the owners' condos are just down the street from me in DC and I'll miss gawking at the window price tags going in my Chipotle. Admiration that they could get these prices for so long and feel bad for all the lost jobs in NC. 

That is pretty funny.

The founders of the chain sold it several years ago.  Sounds like the private equity owner tried restructuring a little too late. Sad situation, for sure.

Every time I hear or read about Mitchell Gold, I immediately think 'The Good Wife' TV series. They furnished that show with the dullest, most boring furniture imaginable - the office furniture, the apartment furniture, etc.

Close to home (in RI) a wealthy (think 'trust fund babies') young couple took a gamble, and opened store in a very upscale neighborhood of exclusively all MG furniture and accessories (they didn't name it 'Mitchell Gold', but they advertised 'featuring Mitchell Gold' in all signage and promotional marketing). They got plenty of press - as 'The Good Wife' was a hit on TV (and they would advertise 'as seen on 'The Good Wife').   It was the most boring store to 'shop' in; beige and gray with a hint of black accessories. I would stop in from time to time on my way to meeting friends for dinner in one of the restaurants surrounding the store. No one was ever in it. They were in the right location - surrounded by moneyed families in upscale apartments, condos and homes. But no one was interested in it. It just wasn't "New England" taste, I guess. 

Needless to say, the store lasted about a year before it closed up shop. 

54 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

Every time I hear or read about Mitchell Gold, I immediately think 'The Good Wife' TV series. They furnished that show with the dullest, most boring furniture imaginable - the office furniture, the apartment furniture, etc.

Close to home (in RI) a wealthy (think 'trust fund babies') young couple took a gamble, and opened store in a very upscale neighborhood of exclusively all MG furniture and accessories (they didn't name it 'Mitchell Gold', but they advertised 'featuring Mitchell Gold' in all signage and promotional marketing). They got plenty of press - as 'The Good Wife' was a hit on TV (and they would advertise 'as seen on 'The Good Wife').   It was the most boring store to 'shop' in; beige and gray with a hint of black accessories. I would stop in from time to time on my way to meeting friends for dinner in one of the restaurants surrounding the store. No one was ever in it. They were in the right location - surrounded by moneyed families in upscale apartments, condos and homes. But no one was interested in it. It just wasn't "New England" taste, I guess. 

Needless to say, the store lasted about a year before it closed up shop. 

Sad to hear. When the founders still owned and ran the company their furniture was anything but bland. However, like many corporate retailers, they succumbed to the trend of everything being cream, grey, beige, creige, greige, bleige, etc. Dull, dull, dull. 

4 hours ago, MikeThomas said:

My credit card company has given me a conditional credit.  They have a number of questions.  I'm not holding out hope.

If MG took your money but didn't deliver what you paid for, the credit card company is on the hook and must refund your money. They could be penalized for bad faith if they don't. No ifs, ands, or buts.

19 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

When I lived in Dallas, all the upper crust gays bought from them.

Meanwhile, I was stuck on DWR and still am.  Mid-century modern never goes out of style.

DWR?

Gman

PS Dallas --or at least this Plano-ite-misses you. 

Edited by Gar1eth

10 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

like many corporate retailers, they succumbed to the trend of everything being cream, grey, beige, creige, greige, bleige, etc. Dull, dull, dull.

Exactly.

When Mitchell Gold first went into business their collection was innovative stylish and tasteful.

Over the years it went very mass-market and they started churning out more "on-trend" looks. Once Corporate took over, they didn't have a clue about design and merely copied every tacky trend that showed up at the bi-annual High Point Market show and assumed everybody would buy the glitz. Another fine example of how the MBA's can destroy a company quickly when they don't understand anything about it but numbers.