Small Plates

jeezifonly

Small plates are served everywhere - never mind that most are just tiny portions of what used to be sharable appetizers, for the same $

Sometimes there’s a really good one, and delicious regardless of price or ambiance.

Does anyone ever serve “small plates” at home? Something that’s really rich and flavorful that satisfies in a few bites, along with crostini and a nice cheese board and a martini or some wine? Easy enough to make?
Share your big ideas about the small stuff!

My best example would be a 4-5 Oz Japanese A5 Wagyu filet. Seared it to medium rare, served single slice to 6 guests accompanied by some French sea salt and fresh grated fresh Wasabi root.

Similar small plate with goose foie gras, after searing while it rested I sautéed a bit of thin sliced fresh pineapple and deglazed pan with port, served small plates.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:32 AM, jeezifonly said:

Small plates are served everywhere - Share your big ideas about the small stuff!

Small plates would just mean an extra trip to the kitchen for a refill, so nope.  And whenever possible I'll eat directly from whatever pot/pan/tray I cooked with to avoid having an extra dish to wash.  Living with a crippling back condition is such fun!

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I like to make gravlax and serve it in small portions with a sweet mustard sauce, capers and red onion and thin-sliced pumperickel or black bread.  

I used to make Gravlax for an annual Christmas party - had to have “lox” accessories - cream cheese, chopped egg, onion… 🙄 for the uninitiated, and sweet mustard and cornichons for me! We don’t entertain at that scale any more ☹️and it’s impossible to make it for two! Too bad - it was a flawless recipe. 

What kind of booze do you cure it with?  The last time I made it, I used cognac and it was just great.  Now I want to try bourbon.  Two of our oldest friends love smoked salmon - with them it's a food group. I served the gravlax cured with cognac and it knocked their socks off - they couldn't stop eating it.  I had also invested in a nice slicer so I was able to cut it in paper-thin slices. 

7 hours ago, Rudynate said:

What kind of booze do you cure it with?  The last time I made it, I used cognac and it was just great.  Now I want to try bourbon.  Two of our oldest friends love smoked salmon - with them it's a food group. I served the gravlax cured with cognac and it knocked their socks off - they couldn't stop eating it.  I had also invested in a nice slicer so I was able to cut it in paper-thin slices. 

How do you make that? Sounds awesome...

On 8/16/2023 at 9:44 PM, Rudynate said:

When you are curing the salmon, you can add some booze - not too much.  I have always used gin or vodka but I've seen recipes that call for brandy or bourbon, even scotch. So I decided to try cognac and it was excellent.

I use a Martha Stewart recipe, for 8lb total salmon, which uses vodka (or aquavit) but only 1/4C. It takes 4days, under weight, in the fridge, turning every 12 hrs. The curing happens actually happens with salt and sugar. Aromatics are black pepper, toasted anise and caraway seeds, and fresh dill. Slices beautifully.

https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Martha+stewart's+gravlax

I tried halving the recipe, and it honestly was not as good. 

• 3 months later...

Ate with my Dad in the late 1970s at the classic old Trader Vic's at the Capital Hilton in DC.......I was just underage and the waiter shut me down when I tried to order a "Blue Hawaii"!.......I can still remember my Dad saying "pu pu platter" with a bit of a snicker, though I think he'd heard of it for many years previous.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu_pu_platter

Pupuplatter.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

4 hours ago, mike carey said:

I always got an unhealthily puerile degree of amusement from that when I lived in Hawai'i, especially when a function had 'heavy pu pus'.

from wiki:

At Hawaiian bars, restaurants, catered events such as political rallies, and private parties, establishments and hosts are known in "local" circles by the quality of their pupus. Event invitations often will state that "light pupus" or "heavy pupus" will be served so that attendees will know whether they should plan to have a full meal before the event or not.

4 hours ago, mike carey said:

I always got an unhealthily puerile degree of amusement from that when I lived in Hawai'i, especially when a function had 'heavy pu pus'.

Small kine 👌🏽 Good grindz 🌺🤙🏽 Ono 👌🏽

Edited by Vin_Marco

• 1 month later...