Digital NYTimes

Karl-G

Today's NYT is so filled with interesting stories, I wanted to encourage anyone who does not yet have a digital subscription, to start.  The digital edition offers so much more than the print edition.  The digital edition offers unlimited large color photographs.  Whereas the print edition may have a single b&w photo with a story, there is no limit to the number of color photos you can have in digital.   This morning that means you can see all the draft NBA players in their designer outfits close-up.  On a 36 hour stroll of Paris, you can see loads of color photos of the spots you could visit, the museums you could enter, and the food you could eat.   On a tour of Singapore's most famous eatery street, there are dozens of pictures of exteriors, interiors, dishes close-up.  There are loads of pictures of various stops and shops along the Shikoko Pilgrimage Road in Japan.  There is an article about the growing evangelical Christian tours of Saudi Arabia, and you can see lots of pictures of what is seen on the tour. For the Met Gala there were 170 pictures of the attendees.  In Real Estate, you can see many pictures of various apartments in New York and elsewhere.  I enjoy this section; I get to see what apartments and houses in NYC actually have to offer.  (I do not live in NYC.)  There are links to house hunting in other cities as well -  Minneapolis, Milan, San Francisco, Paris, Santa Fe, etc.  All articles have lots of large recent pictures.  (Past articles in the NYT are all available with a simple click.)

Another great advantage is that every article also has links to previous and other articles in the NYT or elsewhere about the topic.  All you have to do is click, and you can read more articles, no hunting around.  There is a major article today on the changing American attitudes toward abortion, and lots of links to other articles where you can read more about specific aspects or authors.

In the Arts section, there are reviews of concerts and ballets in NYC and articles about music and dance in general.  There are then more links to Youtube (or similar) performances of the music or dance being discussed.  An article about the best flute concertos ever will have links to a dozen excerpts from the flute works.  Reviews of ballet performances will often have short clips of parts of the performance.  And there will be more links to older, complete performances if available.  You get lots of audio links in the digital edition.

And for the LGBTQ community, there are good articles on the current problems with the Pride Parade in Tennessee, the issue of funding for transgender youth, and many pictures of same sex couples and their wedding ceremonies.  Yesterday there was an article about the 25 most influential works of Postwar Queer Literature.  You can still read the article, with links to earlier articles about queer literature. Each of these articles is accompanied by links to other, previous articles in the Times about these topics.  Just a click gets you there.

I balance my NYT digital subscription with a WSJ digital subscription to get another perspective, but NYT is far superior in its graphics and data/stats driven stories. The user comments in NYT are also better organized and presented, diverse, and sometimes complement the main material. The highest recommended comments usually include the expected liberal perspective.

I subscribe to the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and the LA Times and NY Daily News. I think my SF Chronicle subscription just ended. I also read the Guardian and the NY Post.

The editorial positions of the Fox newspapers are not my cup of tea. You can count on them to NEVER support certain people or positions, even if someone has just saved the nation. But the NYPost gets good gossip, and what would we do without all of the nearly naked ladies they feature?

I have the digital version of the NYT and the Toronto Globe &Mail.. I subscribe to the printed version of a local newspaper which comes out 4 times a week.

I also write a column for another local paper which is bimonthly, which I have been doing for 6 months now. My publisher tells me people like my column from emails he gets. I couldn't survive on what he pays me but it keeps me in booze.  

48 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I only get paper subscriptions here.  I read two newspapers per day: one at lunch and one at supper...

ds0nk9.gif

• 4 months later...

The NY TImes is a shell of what it once was. 

I would never pay for the digital version, and the paper version is good only to shred and use to line the bottom of my parakeet's birdcage. The Sunday Times is good for about 10-12 months worth of birdcage lining :).

It is hard to forget how the always justice-seeking New York Times allowed one of its stringers to tweet a bogus claim that ESPN tennis analyst Doug Adler racially slurred Venus Williams as “a gorilla” when he actually was praising her “guerrilla” tactic of “charging the net”.  The Times then fell silent when ESPN, his career and reputation wrecked by a self-evident lie, fired him as a racist based on The Times’ stringer’s preposterous lie.

The unwarranted firing of Adler with false racism claims cost ESPN big time in an out-of-court settlement, but the NY Times hasn't moved off its cowardly cruel, let-him-rot silence.   

NYPOST.COM

The preposterous case of Doug Adler being dismissed by ESPN as a clear-and-present racist based on a reckless, inaccurate tweet from a New York Times freelance tennis...

And so, there they were in Tuesday’s Times, two headlines about a “guerrilla-style” bicycling event.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

For the last two decades, cyclists have been riding the course in the magic time after the roads are closed and before the thousands of racers begin.
Before Sunrise, Before the Runners, a Guerrilla Bike Marathon

But for the past six years they’ve allowed an innocent man to suffer humiliation, degradation, defamation, and unemployment. And to this day the Times and ESPN continue to allow this man to suffer from an obvious and demonstrable lie.
The NY Times is complicit and gutless.

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

2 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

The NY TImes is a shell of what it once was. 

I would never pay for the digital version, and the paper version is good only to shred and use to line the bottom of my parakeet's birdcage. The Sunday Times is good for about 10-12 months worth of birdcage lining :).

It is hard to forget how the always justice-seeking New York Times allowed one of its stringers to tweet a bogus claim that ESPN tennis analyst Doug Adler racially slurred Venus Williams as “a gorilla” when he actually was praising her “guerrilla” tactic of “charging the net”.  The Times then fell silent when ESPN, his career and reputation wrecked by a self-evident lie, fired him as a racist based on The Times’ stringer’s preposterous lie.

The unwarranted firing of Adler with false racism claims cost ESPN big time in an out-of-court settlement, but the NY Times hasn't moved off its cowardly cruel, let-him-rot silence.   

NYPOST.COM

The preposterous case of Doug Adler being dismissed by ESPN as a clear-and-present racist based on a reckless, inaccurate tweet from a New York Times freelance tennis...

And so, there they were in Tuesday’s Times, two headlines about a “guerrilla-style” bicycling event.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

For the last two decades, cyclists have been riding the course in the magic time after the roads are closed and before the thousands of racers begin.
Before Sunrise, Before the Runners, a Guerrilla Bike Marathon

But for the past six years they’ve allowed an innocent man to suffer humiliation, degradation, defamation, and unemployment. And to this day the Times and ESPN continue to allow this man to suffer from an obvious and demonstrable lie.
The NY Times is complicit and gutless.

BTC

The NYT has knowingly and intentionally published so many whopper lies yet somehow maintains a pristine reputation because the so-called newspaper pushes the narratives that certain people want to hear.  If you like reading the NYT for other reasons -- the arts, fashion, NYC social scene -- it covers those areas like no other publication.  But if you're looking for a legitimate news source, best look elsewhere.

I used to be an avid reader from high school on. Then about 10 years ago their "reporting" got tediously predictable and frankly unreliable. I hung on for another 5 years or so (as others have mentioned, for the cooking recipes and the crosswords). Then when I could bear it no more, I moved over to the Wall Street Journal. I don’t really give a crap about the business world, but I do find their reporting much more balanced and honest than the NYTimes. I have no regrets.

I’d say I miss the "old grey lady", but she’s dead. So it’s pointless.