Nonsmoker? Is smoking (tobacco) still a thing nowadays?

marylander1940

I remember some 15 years ago saying "The only people who smoke these days are gay people and crazy people." Nowadays, I don't even know any gay people who smoke, though I do know two who vape nicotine. Thanks goodness I never smoked. That may change after I die if Christianity or Islam end up being the true religions! 😄

image.png.3c64aa717895b13bc6bec61c104192e7.png

Smoking is still active in many places.  I see it in the gay bars in Las Vegas, in the smoking areas of cruise ships in the Caribbean, on the sidewalks of the New York, and on the breath of too many of my hookups.

And I see vaping in stores my employees who take puffs between sentences.  They can't even wait 2 hours for a smoking break!

7 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Smoking is still active in many places.  I see it in the gay bars in Las Vegas, in the smoking areas of cruise ships in the Caribbean, on the sidewalks of the New York, and on the breath of too many of my hookups.

And I see vaping in stores my employees who take puffs between sentences.  They can't even wait 2 hours for a smoking break!

Vegas is still woefully behind when it comes to smoking. 

That whole city is just... Unhealthy. 

I will mention to a potential meet up that I’m a non smoker. It’s a deal breaker for me if someone smokes. Just ruins the mood. Especially if your at their place. You just leave smelling of smoke. 

6 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Vegas is still woefully behind when it comes to smoking. 

That whole city is just... Unhealthy. 

The whole concept of Vegas is that it attracts people with bad judgment/people who have trouble controlling their habits and impulses... 😉

Edited by Unicorn

In NYC the only people I ever see smoking cigarettes are Asians and French Tourists. The 20-somethings do their vaping and some people are now smoking their weed in public. But yeah...cigarette smoking in most social circles is considered tacky now. Only Asians think it's kool, because Big Tobacco has moved much of it's advertising dollar to Asia.

All the negatives stated above; all true. Make your breath stink.  Stains your fingers, stains your teeth. Myriad health problems can be traced to smoking. However....

I confess to enjoying a smoke now and again. It does relax me. I like the process of opening a pack, lighting a cig, taking that first puff. I don't know, I'm alone alot and it gives me something to do. (Besides, I have to suck on something!)

So in defense of all those smokers and tokers out there; the unhealthy, the tacky, the stinky, the rotten, the coughing cancer creatures.........

smoke 'em if you got 'em.  

7 hours ago, augustus said:

I still smoke old fashioned cigarettes.  How on Earth can you drink a cup of coffee, or have a beer or do a #2 without a cigarette??  E cig usage is soaring.  The tobacco companies aren't going anywhere.

Easy - I do it every day. Frankly, the idea of polluting the aroma of freshly made coffee with the smell of cigarette smoke appeals to me about as much as a visit to the DMV. 

simpsons-patty-bouvie.gif.eea454708c7a6b29c64065332d492280.gif

When I lived in CA I never saw a smoker. Among gays, it appears that many younger ones smoke or vape. Among those who smoke, many are from lower socio-economic ranges. It doesn’t repel me as much as it does others, but I still think it’s unfortunate since my father died at 70 from cigarette-induced lung cancer. My current provider (quasi BF) occasionally smokes and I’ve asked not to do it around me.

9 hours ago, augustus said:

I still smoke old fashioned cigarettes.  How on Earth can you drink a cup of coffee, or have a beer or do a #2 without a cigarette??  E cig usage is soaring.  The tobacco companies aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't put having alcohol and coffee in the same level as smoking which has been proven to be bad for your health. Good thing smoking is not considered a preexisting condition thanks the current legislation on healthcare or your insurance could drop you if you confess to do it on a weekly basis

3 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I wouldn't put having alcohol and coffee in the same level as smoking which has been proven to be bad for your health. Good thing smoking is not considered a preexisting condition thanks the current legislation on healthcare or your insurance could drop you if you confess to do it on a weekly basis

Alcohol also has been proven unhealthy. I agree with not putting it on the same level but for different reasons. The fight to regulate alcohol consumption is older than tobacco's, and the interaction with alcohol abusers is as ancient as human history. 

Tobacco abuse to the heights of a public health crisis is a relatively new challenge. To cut with this addiction, one of the questionable devices has been the stigmatization of tobacco smokers. Eventually, we will get to a place where tobacco will be consumed with as little stigma as alcohol. To paraphrase @augustus, I do not think there is a health issue if you smoke a cig after drinking your coffee or dumping your babies. The problem is compulsive smoking, as it is alcoholism. 

1 hour ago, José Soplanucas said:

Alcohol also has been proven unhealthy. I agree with not putting it on the same level but for different reasons. The fight to regulate alcohol consumption is older than tobacco's, and the interaction with alcohol abusers is as ancient as human history. 

Tobacco abuse to the heights of a public health crisis is a relatively new challenge. To cut with this addiction, one of the questionable devices has been the stigmatization of tobacco smokers. Eventually, we will get to a place where tobacco will be consumed with as little stigma as alcohol. To paraphrase @augustus, I do not think there is a health issue if you smoke a cig after drinking your coffee or dumping your babies. The problem is compulsive smoking, as it is alcoholism. 

Agreed! Questionable but effective, whoever came up with the phrase second hand smokers deserves a Nobel award for saving millions of lives!

Edited by marylander1940

4 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

It is not the same.  The only way to contain second-hand smoke it to isolate smokers.   A side effect of isolating smokers is that they have been stigmatized.  But that's not such a bad thing,  For decades and decades, non-smkers were required to share movie theaters, stores, offices, workplaces, classrooms, waiting rooms, etc. with smokers, who were allowed to light up anywhere anytime  they wanted to with total abandon.