Using ChatGPT?

Tallywad

I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience mucking around with ChatGPT.  How difficult was it to use?  Did you have any privacy concerns about the information it was collecting?  Plus, what motivated you to try it?

3 hours ago, Tallywad said:

I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience mucking around with ChatGPT.  How difficult was it to use?  Did you have any privacy concerns about the information it was collecting?  Plus, what motivated you to try it?

just wait until they're trained to talk dirty in some sexy voice. 

On 5/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, Tallywad said:

I tried it a couple days ago.  My roommate said I should try it out.

It's not difficult to use.  But OpenAI.com requires you to create an account with them.  I typed a question asking ChatGPT how intense exercise elevates the level of LDL (bad cholesterol) in your body.  It gave a decent answer.  But one of its points was wrong.  So I asked a question about that.  It apologized for its oversight and provided some info that was closer to a real answer.  Then I asked if it could cite the sources for its last response.  It said it could not do that.

Overall, I think it would be good for asking it a question when you have no idea where to begin.  Then when it gives you an answer, you take the guts of each of the paragraphs in the answer and look it up like you normally would on the internet.. and you can find credible sources and such that way.  And you can Fact Check ChatGPT -- which seems important to do.  ChatGPT is trained on all the text of the internet -- truth and falsehoods alike.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Amazingly, the lawyer is not three kids in a trenchcoat.

A lawyer used ChatGPT and now has to answer for its ‘bogus’ citations

A filing in a case against Colombian airline Avianca cited six cases that don’t exist, but a lawyer working for the plaintiff told the court ChatGPT said they were real.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:26 PM, muscleboyinsd said:

And you can Fact Check ChatGPT -- which seems important to do.  ChatGPT is trained on all the text of the internet -- truth and falsehoods alike.

With all the BS out there within all types of media, it's time to incorporate AI to fact check everything written and said real-time.  If you heard something on Fox News or MSNBC or read something on Twitter or Huff Post, AI independently would immediately rate the comment on a TRUE/FALSE spectrum right there on the screen.

Wouldn't that be nuts?!?!  But why not?

Edited by Bucky

I wouldn't use it for anything that needs to be factual unless I could check for accuracy.  I have used it to help me write things and it's been great.  I asked it to write me a humorous poem for someone's birthday, giving info about the person, and wishing 5 seconds I had my poem!

I haven't tried it yet, but people are using ChatGPT to create recipes.  There's a sexy guy on youtube ("the perfect loaf") who knows everyting there is to know about sourdough bread.  He had chatGPT create a sourdough recipe.  He said it was pretty good, but not great.

I was stuck with writers block for 1500-2000 word “welcome” for a program for a non-profit I work with. I asked chatgpt to write a welcome letter, mentioned non-profits name…and I was shocked what a great job it did. Pulled some history for the organization, etc. I copy/pasted it into Word then wrote my personal rendition, but it helped me get started!

• 3 weeks later...

It's gotten very good writing well-commented python and solving equations. For the latter, it makes API calls to wolfram alpha. 

gpt-plugin-hero6.png
WRITINGS.STEPHENWOLFRAM.COM

Wolfram plugin gives computationally accurate answers to ChatGPT queries using Wolfram's data knowledgebase and language. Custom visualizations...

Of course, you need to test the python and check the math.

I asked it for a blueberry pie recipe. The response was reasonable except for an extra ingredient: cilantro. I never made the pie, so who knows?

I've coaxed it into writing erotic fetish fiction focused on the feelings of the participants. Any mention of physical sex acts or body parts triggers a content warning and it halts. 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, Lucky said:

" Any mention of physical sex acts or body parts triggers a content warning and it halts.  "

That's no fun!

LOL. There are a lot of prompts that will trigger an evasive answer from the AI. You must reword your question to figure out how to go around these filters.

I have been playing around with GPT and Bard; they have great potential. The funny thing is when you ask them political questions. I will not bring examples to avoid breaking the ban on politics, but I found GPT more politically progressive than Bard. The primary issue I found is that sometimes they make up information when they do not find enough data. I asked them to generate my bio (with my real name) and learned that I won an Oscar.

I have also been playing with this AI that generates images after written prompts. It is less fruitful than text generators, but sometimes you have exciting results. I am working on a post for my blog where I will use two illustrations generated this way.

My school's teachers are very concerned about the students using GPT for cheating. 

7 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

The primary issue I found is that sometimes they make up information when they do not find enough data.

There was a report on ABC radio's The Law Report about a case in New York (?) where a lawyer had asked ChatGPT for information on cases similar to his action against an airline claiming negligence after his client was injured by being hit my a service trolley. It did, and came up with a variety of cases as precedent, involving several airlines in different jurisdictions. The lawyer presented the brief to the court. Turned out the AI had made up the cases. It knew what a judgment looked like and just fabricated the data in that format. The judge wasn't aware of the cases (surprisingly!) and checked. He then took two hours to take the offending lawyer, who may now lose his licence, to task.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 6:01 PM, MikeBiDude said:

I was stuck with writers block for 1500-2000 word “welcome” for a program for a non-profit I work with. I asked chatgpt to write a welcome letter, mentioned non-profits name…and I was shocked what a great job it did. Pulled some history for the organization, etc. I copy/pasted it into Word then wrote my personal rendition, but it helped me get started!

Respectfully - nobody reads that many words.  I’ve found it useful in an attempt to be concise.  Can you say it differently?  Make it shorter?  Less sophisticated?  Don’t use that word please etc.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:47 AM, Thelatin said:

I’ve found it useful in an attempt to be concise.  Can you say it differently?  Make it shorter?  Less sophisticated?

Have you read some of the posts on this board ?  

There are members here who specialize in convoluted/verbose/obnoxious posts just to fill up their day

The worst of them shall remain nameless - however, the main offender seems to have recently departed.  And, I don’t think it was by his choice.  Karma indeed 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:28 PM, arnemgreeves said:

AI is dangerous so should be outlawed, ideally. 

So are the roughly 13,000 nuclear weapons on this planet. Start with that problem, as there are zero positive benefits from them other than deterrence theory (read MAD). 🙄

On 6/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, José Soplanucas said:

LOL. There are a lot of prompts that will trigger an evasive answer from the AI. You must reword your question to figure out how to go around these filters.

I have been playing around with GPT and Bard; they have great potential. The funny thing is when you ask them political questions. I will not bring examples to avoid breaking the ban on politics, but I found GPT more politically progressive than Bard. The primary issue I found is that sometimes they make up information when they do not find enough data. I asked them to generate my bio (with my real name) and learned that I won an Oscar.

I have also been playing with this AI that generates images after written prompts. It is less fruitful than text generators, but sometimes you have exciting results. I am working on a post for my blog where I will use two illustrations generated this way.

My school's teachers are very concerned about the students using GPT for cheating. 

ChatGPT has the ability to synthesize certain types of content in surprising ways.  I was playing around with it and requested a play about a certain media figure in the style of a Greek tragedy.  It started generating a script with the figure as a character explaining his positions while the chorus answered with critiques and rebuttals. The points were very true to deal life 

It generated a pretty long script but "crashed" before I could capture the output.  It wouldn't have been a "good" play, but it kept true to the form I requested.  Of course, the dramatic characters and chorus would not be addressing each other, but it kept true to the form otherwise.

• 3 months later...