Tipping Requests Get Crazier

Lucky

Recently I ordered new water filters for my refrigerator. The manufacturer's price is a rip off, so I went to another site with generics made to fit the brand. They work just fine.

But what startled me on checking out was the tip box. I was being asked to leave a tip for the employees of the company! That's a first for me. I noted that those workers are all in China, but I didn't give a tip. What's next in the world of tipping?

23 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

They just recently had an article about this on cnn.com very good read:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/17/business/tips-coffee-ice-cream-touch-screens-ctrp/index.html

Yes I read that a few days ago. I rarely go out for coffee, but when I do, and the server is nice, I pay cash and leave the change or a dollar. If it’s a cute guy, often more. What I’m referring to is going to the local deli and ordering a salad or something that’s already made, or simply buying something in the store, and being confronted with an electronic tip request. That’s absurd.

1 hour ago, BuffaloKyle said:

They just recently had an article about this on cnn.com very good read:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/17/business/tips-coffee-ice-cream-touch-screens-ctrp/index.html

well-written, even-handed article on the history and evolution of tipping.......should be required reading for all Americans!........a curious custom and much misunderstood.......many consumers really don't want to educate themselves on why tipping exists and many don't know about the sub-minimum wage laws for servers/bartenders.......not a "sexy" topic of conversation, but very important  

Amazon Alexa now offers me the opportunity to say thanks to my delivery driver.  I suspect it’s evolving to a request for tips.

the best tip I’ll give them is to stop running off my circular driveway into the grass!  I guess they don’t know that I have 7 perimeter cameras recording everything. 

10 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

many consumers really don't want to educate themselves on why tipping exists and many don't know about the sub-minimum wage laws for servers/bartenders.

Anyone who questions whether or not they should tip is an entitled narcissist with a complete lack of capacity for empathy.

Does anyone seriously think working a minimum wage (or slightly more) job as a barista is compensation enough ?

If you can afford a $5 coffee, you can afford a tip.

I can remember when the tip choices on the credit card machine were 5%, 10%, 15% and other.  Now they start at 18% or 20% at a number of restaurants I've been to.  I will happy tip more than 20% if the service is outstanding, but I find that outstanding service is harder and harder to find these days.  On a somewhat related note, here in Canada it is not uncommon for grocery stores to ask if you wish to make a donation to a charity they support and have that amount added to your bill.  Many people feel guilty for not adding a couple of bucks to their grocery total, but I stopped doing this some time ago when I was told the company uses these donations to get a big tax refund.  So I prefer to get a gift card for the homeless person sitting outside the store instead.

I have had the same therapeutic-only masseur for about a year now. I see her every month. She’s a PT and is amazing. She owns her own business and rents a small room in a professional building. I always tip generously because she’s so damn good. But at the first of the year, she raised her rates. No problem, I’ll still tip accordingly. But her automated appointment software now includes several choices to not only pay in advance (which I always did) but choices on how much I want to tip. Ain’t technology swell?

59 minutes ago, jeezopete said:

7 ??

recording everything??

OK, then I guess I should explain about me & your lawn gnome.....  😉

Yes.  So it was you with the gnome 

On 1/30/2023 at 7:21 PM, azdr0710 said:

.....many consumers really don't want to educate themselves on why tipping exists and many don't know about the sub-minimum wage laws for servers/bartenders.......not a "sexy" topic of conversation, but very important  

There are definitely no sub-minimum wage laws in California. Even tipped employees get no less than $15.50 per hour, higher in many cities ($17.64 in WeHo, $16.04 in Los Angeles County [$18.17 for hotel workers], $17 in San Francisco...). I will tip waiters, but won't tip if it's cafeteria style/serve myself. Most foreigners are shocked by the out-of-control tipping situation in the US. 

21 hours ago, BnaC said:

Amazon Alexa now offers me the opportunity to say thanks to my delivery driver.  I suspect it’s evolving to a request for tips.

the best tip I’ll give them is to stop running off my circular driveway into the grass!  I guess they don’t know that I have 7 perimeter cameras recording everything. 

I don't think even the Pelosi's had 7 perimeter cameras. Are you a mafiosi? Lol

21 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Anyone who questions whether or not they should tip is an entitled narcissist with a complete lack of capacity for empathy.

Does anyone seriously think working a minimum wage (or slightly more) job as a barista is compensation enough ?

If you can afford a $5 coffee, you can afford a tip.

There’s shades of gray.   Tipping a barista 15% for taking 60 seconds to make a cup of coffee at a machine isn’t the same as tipping a server 15% to run back and forth to get the food/drink for a table of four.  The “value add” is very different.  Alternatively, an Instacart shopper might spend an hour picking a grocery list and communicating about substitutions, where the fast food staff has very little time invested in preparation and delivery.   I think it’s more narcissistic to expect a tip than it is to question offering one.  

My tip to baristas?  Get a job that doesn’t have 25% turnover in 3 months.  The fact that turnover is high and baristas still exist with low wage underscores how expendable a barista is. 

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I don't think even the Pelosi's had 7 perimeter cameras. Are you a mafiosi? Lol

Their house is square, mine is not…I still don’t have guns or gates ;)

Edited by BnaC

7 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

...I do not add a donation to a stores favorite/designated charity as I prefer to make those decisions on my own.  

I agree, and I find those requests particularly obnoxious. I choose my own charities, and I get the tax deduction for my own donations...

Every time I check out at a supermarket, the credit card machine asks if I would like to add a contribution to a food bank. I always say no, because I already give directly to two local food banks. The machine at Petco or Pet Smart always asks if I want to donate to an animal shelter, and I say no, because I already contribute to a couple of local shelters. I prefer to make my own choice of who or what I donate to.

I tip fairly generously for services where it is traditional to tip (waiter, barber, etc.), but I don't see why I should be expected to make up for the failure of the employer to pay the person working the cash register.

I would love it if we could end the tipping culture in the US.  I don't believe it leads to better service and it's essentially just the patrons subsidizing the cost of labor in restaurants and other businesses.   Never when travelling overseas, have I had worse service because the staff wasn't tipped.

I'm especially suspiscious of the new point of sale tip prompts at counter-service type establishments just padding the business's bottom line instead of being distributed to the staff.  The arguements that the cost of eating out will go up is especially irritating, the cost has gone up anyway and we have to tip a percentage on top of that.

I was at a restaurant one time where they used a wrirless terminal so the payment can be done at the table. I’m used to this method from othwr restaurants too. And normally after swiping the card, they hand you the terminal and the tip suggestions will show as “18% , 20%, 22%, Other” — my point being that this seems to be the average mean for tipping, and always in ascending order. My finger will always go to the FIRST one on the list. Usually 18%.

Well this one restaurant I recently went to had the audacity to put “30%, 28%, 25%, Other” for their tipping options — and yes, in descending order where the first choice was the highest. My finger almost pushed the 30% out of habit. I was so surprised and quite frankly disgusted. I chose other of course. I have no issues tipping for decent services, butbman I hope 30% won’t become the new tipping culture. I miss the days when 10% was the norm.