When Will Buffalo Kyle Check Back In?

Lucky

It was last Friday afternoon when we last heard from @BuffaloKyle. We all know that Buffalo suffered a huge storm so I am not surprised that we haven't yet heard from him. I hope he is well and that the storm was manageable on his end. Naturally, I hope he checks in soon. By Friday I might get worried!

Hey everyone! I am ok! I work second shift so Thursday at work was not surprised to get the news that we would not be working Friday. Friday morning at around 9am it quickly went from a clear day to a whiteout. We had winds gusting up to just over 70 mph all day Friday and around 50 mph on Saturday. For two days it was nothing but a whiteout. Wherever you were at that time you were stuck until as late as Monday it was that bad. People who did try to go out got stranded or stuck out in the storm which led to many deaths as the temperature with the wind chill added in made it feel as low as -25 degrees at night. Police and other emergency personnel simply could not respond to calls for those two days. I have been safe at home since Friday. I lost my internet Friday evening and did not get it back until Today. Luckily I never lost power. There were people who lost power on Friday and didn't get that back until today as well. All in all this is one Christmas I'll never forget! 🎅 🎄

This is great to know you’re well! Sorry that happened so close to the holidays. I been trying to go to Buffalo for months and was planning to this time, even getting as far as Ohio last week, but had to wrap it up because of the storm incoming. 

I was hoping to go earlier before winter. Seems all these storms, whether heat,  hurricanes or snow storms are just getting so crazy. Venus and Uranus weather is not needed here! Penis and Uranus is preferred 👏🏽 

• 1 month later...

No one was worried about me today!? This morning we had a pretty big earthquake for our area. Woke up to the whole house shaking. I thought it was the wind at first. But we had hurricane force winds during that December blizzard and the house didn't shake like that so I quickly realized it wasn't that. But it didn't last long at all. We've had one hell of a stretch of natural events here. The local news said there's no relation to ours and the one in Turkey. Just a random coincidence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/buffalo-new-york-area-is-hit-with-the-strongest-earthquake-in-40-years/ar-AA17ajcD?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Just now, samhexum said:

Anybody who chooses to live in Buffalo worries me!

😁😇😝😇😁

Yeah yeah yeah! I feel that way every winter. But our springs and summers are really nice. I'd miss all the good food we have if I moved. I have family near Miami so at least I always have an option if I wanted to move or get out of the cold one winter.

3 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

One of my coworkers in Buffalo mentioned it on my call with him. He said things shook a bit but nothing major that he had seen. It reminds me of the one that hit DC several years back. 

Yeah didn't see any reports of any damage at all. Someone told me today a chimney fell off an old building onto a car but that wasn't even for sure.

Quakes in the eastern states tend to stay stronger for further distances, even at relatively small magnitudes.  Remember the DC quake 10-11 years ago was only 5.8 magnitude but damaged the National Cathedral and other buildings about 80 miles away.  The same quake in California might not have been noticed just a few towns over.  The greater number of active faults in the West seems to help dissipate some of the shocks.

I remember waking up to a quake when I lived in Atlanta and it was probably about a 3.5 or so from near the SC border.  It felt like someone was at the foot of my bed pushing on the mattress....which annoyed me to no end when I woke up and nobody was doing any pushing.

1 hour ago, DynamicUno said:

Quakes in the eastern states tend to stay stronger for further distances, even at relatively small magnitudes.  Remember the DC quake 10-11 years ago was only 5.8 magnitude but damaged the National Cathedral and other buildings about 80 miles away.  The same quake in California might not have been noticed just a few towns over.  The greater number of active faults in the West seems to help dissipate some of the shocks.

I remember waking up to a quake when I lived in Atlanta and it was probably about a 3.5 or so from near the SC border.  It felt like someone was at the foot of my bed pushing on the mattress....which annoyed me to no end when I woke up and nobody was doing any pushing.

When I lived in BC there was a moderately strong quake south of Seattle.  It would have been around 2001-2002 and I was living in a 12th floor apartment in Burnaby, which is immediately east of Vancouver.  I think the magnitude was 6.5 or maybe a bit stronger, and I felt the apartment sway about 5 times.  Some friends in Vancouver felt much sharper shaking and it amazed me the same quake could create such different sensations even though the distance from the epicenter was almost the same.  I suppose it was because of different substrate and ground compositions, and maybe because I was high up.  Anyway, glad you are fine @BuffaloKyle

On 2/6/2023 at 3:57 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

The local news said there's no relation to ours and the one in Turkey. Just a random coincidence.

That's a ridiculous statement.  I have the Volcano Discovery app on my phone you can see that various volcanic eruptions and earthquakes by time period and the lines of the tectonic plates.  Within days of a major volcanic eruption you see tectonic activity on the opposite side of the plate.  The activity in Sicily and Turkey are concurrent with a lot of Activity in Guatemala on the far opposite side of the Atlantic Plate where it meets the Pacific.

Edited by pubic_assistance