When Will Buffalo Kyle Check Back In?

Lucky

13 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

That's a ridiculous statement.  I have the Volcano Discovery app on my phone you can see that various volcanic eruptions and earthquakes by time period and the lines of the tectonic plates.  Within days of a major volcanic eruption you see tectonic activity on the opposite side of the plate.  The activity in Sicily and Turkey are concurrent with a lot of Activity in Guatemala on the far opposite side of the Atlantic Plate where it meets the Pacific.

Let me kind of clarify what the woman said. She said there are tons of earthquakes everyday and that earthquakes do cause other earthquakes to happen:

The National Earthquake Information Center now locates about 20,000 earthquakes around the globe each year, or approximately 55 per day. As a result of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about earthquakes more quickly than ever before.

She just said you can't specifically say the Turkey earthquake was the cause of my earthquake.

55 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

just said you can't specifically say the Turkey earthquake was the cause of my earthquake.

Exactly

But if you watch the MAJOR tectonic events you will see increased activity on the opposite side of the tectonic plate within a few days.

There are always earthquakes because the plates are always floating and moving . But there are tiny creeps and major jumps. The major jumps cause major earthquakes and increased volcanic activity.

Not that you ever expect Buffalo to see much activity but it happens when the Atlantic plate shifts a iot.

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

But if you watch the MAJOR tectonic events you will see increased activity on the opposite side of the tectonic plate within a few days.

First of all, geologists and seismologists would never say "you will see." The more appropriate phrases are "you frequently see, "you might see," or "you sometimes see."

But much more important is the fact that the earthquake in Turkey and Syria was a 60-mile rupture between the Anatolian and Arabian tectonic plates -- nothing to do with the North American plate at all. (There is no "Atlantic plate"; maybe you're thinking of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?)

"Southeast Turkey and northwest Syria are prone to dangerous seismic activity because they lie on the junction of three enormous tectonic plates — the African, Anatolian, and Arabian — whose collisions and snaggings cause earthquakes.

Monday's quake likely came from the East Anatolian Fault, where sections of the Arabian and Anatolian plates can become locked together by friction." 

https://www.livescience.com/why-was-the-earthquake-that-hit-turkey-and-syria-so-deadly

What seismological research also tell us is this:

Powerful Earthquakes Can Trigger Other Ones on Opposite Side of Earth, New Research Shows

When an earthquake does trigger other quakes on the opposite side, it is most likely to induce those quakes "within 30 degrees of the original quake’s antipode — the point directly opposite it on the other side of the globe."

I might point out that Guatemala and Buffalo are nowhere near 30 degrees of the Turkey quake's antipode. The antipode of Istanbul is in the South Pacific ocean: French Polynesia, the Cook Islands, and New Zealand.

So the original claim that the Buffalo earthquake was probably a random coincidence is much closer to the truth. 

Edited by Marc in Calif

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Another storm coming this weekend for me. We're gonna get one to two feet of snow on Sunday with winds that will be gusting 55 - 65 mph. Will make for an interesting Bills game Sunday afternoon! I'm gonna be actually at a hotel all weekend right by where I work and where it won't be as bad snow wise. I live actually pretty close to the Bills stadium where the bullseye of the snow band is forecast to be.

I'm listening to the Saturday afternoon sports show on ABC Radio and in between the coverage of the tennis being played and that will be played with the AO starting tomorrow, and the imminent pool rounds of the Asian Cup in Qatar, they had a story about the Bills putting out a call for people to show up at the stadium on Saturday night to shovel snow off the pitch.

8 hours ago, mike carey said:

I'm listening to the Saturday afternoon sports show on ABC Radio and in between the coverage of the tennis being played and that will be played with the AO starting tomorrow, and the imminent pool rounds of the Asian Cup in Qatar, they had a story about the Bills putting out a call for people to show up at the stadium on Saturday night to shovel snow off the pitch.

Yes here's the story about that:

WWW.WGRZ.COM

Looking to get outside Saturday and maybe burn a few calories? Highmark Stadium is a place this weekend where you could do just that.

And speaking of the AO Jessica Pegula hopefully can get to a major final at last! I think she wears herself out partly playing not only singles but both mixed and women's doubles.

Forget about most of what I said up above! The football game moved to Monday afternoon. There is a total driving ban starting 9pm tonight and lasting until at least 6am Sunday morning.

WWW.WGRZ.COM

The Buffalo Bills wild card game against the Steelers has been postponed until 4:00pm Monday.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:17 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Another storm coming this weekend for me. We're gonna get one to two feet of snow on Sunday with winds that will be gusting 55 - 65 mph. Will make for an interesting Bills game Sunday afternoon! I'm gonna be actually at a hotel all weekend right by where I work and where it won't be as bad snow wise. I live actually pretty close to the Bills stadium where the bullseye of the snow band is forecast to be.

We are getting another storm tonight thru Thursday with another 1 to 3 feet of snow. Luckily the wind gusts will only be up to 40mph this time around. Nevertheless back to the hotel I go! 🤣 

Here's the end result of a week of snow. Remember too before this week there was zero snow on the ground and green grass. I live about 10 - 15 minutes away from West Seneca which had the highest snowfall total. My town had like the 5th highest. But the hotel where I'm staying at to avoid the worst of the worst only received like 30 some inches. An update too as he says in the video they have received 65 inches of snow but as of my posting it's up to 74.5 inches.

Apparently they have called for volunteers again to dig out the stadium for the Bills Chiefs game.  When I lived in Buffalo three feet of snow in a week was not that unusual but the city seemed to always be prepared for it while down here in NJ three inches of snow calls for school closures and winter weather warnings.  I guess it is all in what you get used to seeing.  

On 1/18/2024 at 7:39 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

Here's the end result of a week of snow. Remember too before this week there was zero snow on the ground and green grass. I live about 10 - 15 minutes away from West Seneca which had the highest snowfall total. My town had like the 5th highest. But the hotel where I'm staying at to avoid the worst of the worst only received like 30 some inches. An update too as he says in the video they have received 65 inches of snow but as of my posting it's up to 74.5 inches.

Geeszus Christmas! lol

I keep trying to get to Buffalo, but seems like after mid December on point: I’m going to have to take a 4WD to get there. 

That type of snow reminds me of what Colorado up in the 10,000’ towns would get. Just snow, snow, snow. I learned how to drive in snow fairly quick, but I just don’t like it anymore. The lack of traction and like the lady said: having to slow down. Then half people out there think it’s okay to go regular speed limit or above in those conditions. Nah…

Surprisingly though: this time of year I don’t be eager to go to Florida or SoCal yet because: it’s either going to be somewhat chilly or, unless it’s full time relocation, still gotta come back to the winter. Though last year I lucked out and came back from San Diego after Easter: and by then it started warming up everywhere.

7 hours ago, purplekow said:

Apparently they have called for volunteers again to dig out the stadium for the Bills Chiefs game.  When I lived in Buffalo three feet of snow in a week was not that unusual but the city seemed to always be prepared for it while down here in NJ three inches of snow calls for school closures and winter weather warnings.  I guess it is all in what you get used to seeing.  

I went to college in Syracuse.  A foot of snow could fall overnight and there would be less kerfuffle than when 2 inches fell in NYC.

14 hours ago, samhexum said:

I went to college in Syracuse.  A foot of snow could fall overnight and there would be less kerfuffle than when 2 inches fell in NYC.

I remember too seeing on the news one time an inch fell in Atlanta and the whole city had to shut down. No salt trucks and no one knew how to drive in it so there were accidents happening like crazy.

29 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I remember too seeing on the news one time an inch fell in Atlanta and the whole city had to shut down. No salt trucks and no one knew how to drive in it so there were accidents happening like crazy.

It wasn’t the inch of snow. It was the inch of ice. The roads were frozen over and no one’s tires could get any traction. Adding to the craziness, there was no coordination between cities, counties and school boards. So everyone hit the roads at once in a region with already notorious traffic issues. Cars couldn’t move on the slick ice, they ran out of gas and were abandoned all over the place. 

2 hours ago, Hot4latin said:

It wasn’t the inch of snow. It was the inch of ice. The roads were frozen over and no one’s tires could get any traction. Adding to the craziness, there was no coordination between cities, counties and school boards. So everyone hit the roads at once in a region with already notorious traffic issues. Cars couldn’t move on the slick ice, they ran out of gas and were abandoned all over the place. 

People in the south are just not used to snow and icy weather like they are up north. Anytime it snows, schools shut down for days. 

10 hours ago, caramelsub said:

People in the south are just not used to snow and icy weather like they are up north. Anytime it snows, schools shut down for days. 

I have family in Florida and when they come up it can be in the 50's and they are all bundled up in a heavy winter coat, hat, gloves, & scarves. 😅

Edited by BuffaloKyle