Puerto Vallarta vs. Costa Rica

Snbrd

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to the Pacific side of Costa Rica, but have been to PV about two dozen times. PV is a bit of a gay paradise, with probably over 20 gay bars, along with strip clubs, gay cruises and beaches, and a huge number of excellent restaurants, including my favorite in the world. There are also a lot of activities, such as cruising along the coast, horseback riding, zip-lining, and shows, including comedy, music, and drag. In fact, two of the times I went there, I invited Colombian "seeking arrangements" men, and we had to limit our evening entertainment since they didn't speak English. 

Costa Rica is a beautiful country with friendly people, and there are lots of beautiful sights. If you're looking for a gay experience, though, I doubt anything matches up to PV. 

I've been to Puerto Vallarta twice for New Years Eve. Always had an amazing time. I didn't spend any time, in gay bars but I didn't need to. There are always a lot of young attractive gay men out-and-about. The general vibe seems to be very open minded toward the gay community with lots of PDA that nobody bats an eyelash over. Costa Rica, in contrast is an extremely homophobic culture. Of course, the resorts, like many poor countries are completely cut off from the rest of the place.  So you may find a gay resort that shelters you but overall there is no comparison to the obvious acceptance level in P.V. and the access to great restaurants, clubs, art galleries and socializing in general.

Edited by pubic_assistance

11 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

... Costa Rica, in contrast is an extremely homophobic culture...

I think to use the term "extremely" is a bit harsh to describe Costa Rica. It is, after all, the only Central American country to legalize same-sex marriage. It's probably not as open as Mexico, and nothing beats Puerto Vallarta for gay positivity in Latin America (IMHO). But I wouldn't put it in the same category as Iran, Uganda, Russia, or even Honduras. 

9 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

But I wouldn't put it in the same category as Iran, Uganda, Russia, or even Honduras. 

Ok. Fair enough .

You won't be murdered in the streets...but the general population is very Catholic and definitely not progressive toward gays.

The gay marriage ruling was controversial and political so I can't discuss it here. But let's just say...don't jump to conclusions about the viewpoints of the general population toward homosexuality. There is a vast difference between PV.s casual attitude toward Gay and Lesbian tourists and Costs Rica.

My maid's daughter is in Costa Rica right now at a conference and the poor woman can't sleep out of fear for her safety. ( Her daughter is gay ).

On 12/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, Deadlift1 said:

It also depends on what type of gay experience you are looking for.  Going on a catamaran to a deserted beach looking to swallow the crews load is the last thing I want to do.  But I'm not a big partier.  

I mean, that's like one tiny part of what your gay experience can be in PV.  

And frankly, those boat trips are a dying breed.  The younger guys don't go for that shit anymore.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rockey said:

Just got back from a 5 day vacay in PV. Loved it! GAY, GAY, GAY. The gay beach was fantastic with large waves and  beautiful men.  I've never been to Costa Rica, but PV is definitely a must visit.

Thanks for writing this. It will be my first visit in February :) Looking forward to it. 

5 hours ago, Rockey said:

I've never been to Costa Rica, but PV is definitely a must visit.

I've been to both .

PV is a great value for your dollar whether you're gay or straight.  New Years Eve is like Mardi Gras with sexy boys out celebrating in the streets.

Costa Rica is one of these poor third world countries where hotel chains buy up all the beaches and build resorts. The problem being that they are all separate and there's no central place where people mingle. To the best of my knowledge there is no exclusively gay resort in Costa Rica

10 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Costa Rica is one of these poor third world countries where hotel chains buy up all the beaches and build resorts. The problem being that they are all separate and there's no central place where people mingle. To the best of my knowledge there is no exclusively gay resort in Costa Rica

Interesting perspective. I have straight friends that go to Costa Rica for yoga retreats, but none of my gay friends go there. Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, Rockey said:

Interesting perspective. I have straight friends that go to Costa Rica for yoga retreats, but none of my gay friends go there.

I'm married with kids, but bisexual, so I am conscious of the gay scene, even when I'm not directly participating. Costa Rica's tourism is primarily resorts on the beach. Great for a couple's get away but there is no access to any kind of social scene outside the resort itself.  The only gay hotels are tiny little guest house situations where at most you'll be there with a handful of other guys.  The Capitol city is in the middle of the country far away from the beaches and the gay scene there is nothing to speak of, not to mention San Jose' is sort of a shit-hole of a city. They even have road signs near the downtown area warning you that you are entering a slum. 

Puerto Vallarta is great. I actually started going there many years ago when I was single and traveling with gay friends. Definitely lots of options for the gay traveler in the "Zona Romantica". Food scene is great, weather is great. Prices are reasonable. Highly recommended.  Leave Costa Rica for when you're old and you just want to sit quietly and hold hands on the beach. 😉

Do people have PV hotel recommendations? We have a group of 8-12 going in May for a bachelor party… we don’t want to get one big place so that people can have fun/guests in their rooms as they please but be able to meetup for fun and shenanigans on the regular. We’ve been thinking a smaller hotel or bed and breakfast rather than a large house/AirBNB…. But I’m open to suggestions as I’ve never been! Thx in advance for any help ❤️

I stayed at the Almar resort.  It's right next door to Blue and Green chairs. It's a really nice place with cabanas/infinity pool, etc. Mantamar (beach club) is right on the beach in front. The only negative for me was the Almar bar and massage staff were too attentive, constantly asking if you wanted a massage/drink, etc. The Almar rooms are very nice and the room attendants kept them clean and well stocked.

20 hours ago, Dr.Daddy said:

Do people have PV hotel recommendations? We have a group of 8-12 going in May for a bachelor party… we don’t want to get one big place so that people can have fun/guests in their rooms as they please but be able to meetup for fun and shenanigans on the regular. We’ve been thinking a smaller hotel or bed and breakfast rather than a large house/AirBNB…. But I’m open to suggestions as I’ve never been! Thx in advance for any help ❤️

Hotel Mercurio

29 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I don't know what your budget is...but I really enjoyed my stay at this place https://www.casacupula.com/

This is a good idea. 

Cupula could easily work for a small group, as well as provide individual room privacy so everyone can come and go as they please.  It's also a short walk to the bar scene.