vegan versions of REAL food

samhexum

My sister, brother in law, & nephew just got back from visiting my niece, who is working at Disney in Florida.  My niece made them all try vegan nachos, vegan chili, vegan tater tots.  Which resulted in my brother in law having to vegan vomit in the parking lot.  He texted me this gif:

Family Guy Puke GIF - Family Guy Puke Brian Griffin - Discover & Share GIFs

The few non-real versions of food I've tried have been massively underwhelming, so I was not surprised to hear that.

REAL men need REAL food! 

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

We get a meal kit delivered.  I'm going to switch to a different provider that can bring us a  Mediterranean Diet.  An anti-inflammatory diet is suppose to help with RA.

I'm sure any of these providers would be happy to bring you something Greek to eat:

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 11:59 PM, Rudynate said:

My husband  and I are more vegetarian (not vegan) than not.  We like it.   Don't know if we will get all the way to vegan or not.  My serum creatinine and my A1C are really happy with the changes.   Haven't had a lipid panel in over a year so not sure what's happening there.

I'm surprised your A1c went down with a vegetarian diet. After all, meat/fish/poultry have low glycemic indices and would be expected to lower A1c. Years ago, I had a colleague at work who had a vegetarian diet for health reasons. He developed diabetes, but his sugars went back to normal simply by adding seafood and poultry to his diet. My fattest friend is vegan and a rip-roaring diabetic on insulin and multiple other diabetes meds. I guess if one could eat only fruit and veggies, and avoid all rice, breads, noodles, spaghetti, tortillas, corn, etc., then that would be fine, but most vegans and vegetarians are heavy users of rice, corn, and grains. 

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

My fattest friend is vegan and a rip-roaring diabetic on insulin and multiple other diabetes meds. I guess if one could eat only fruit and veggies, and avoid all rice, breads, noodles, spaghetti, tortillas, corn, etc., then that would be fine, but most vegans and vegetarians are heavy users of rice, corn, and grains. 

Or maybe your friend sits in a dark room at night watching TV secretly eating pints of Haagen Daz.

Haagen Daz Coffee.

I've uh... heard that people have done things like that.

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

Or maybe your friend sits in a dark room at night watching TV secretly eating pints of Haagen Daz.

Haagen Daz Coffee.

I've uh... heard that people have done things like that.

I when I was about 30 I developed a serious thing for Häagen-Dazs Swiss Almond Vanilla-ate a pint every night.  I was a smoker at the time so I didn’t gain any excess weight.  After a few months of it, I got myself under control.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, Pensant said:

Vegan diets are unhealthy for some blood types, especially mine: O+. Our brains need fats and cholesterol. My lipid panels are superlative, and I regularly eat butter, eggs, beef and lamb, along with fresh fish and poultry. I also use a lot of high-quality olive oil and avoid seed oils. 

Yup.

I'm hypoglycemic.

I basically do Keto most of the week to keep my book sugar regulated. I do vegetarian once a week as a "cleanse".

I wouldn't last a month on a vegan diet.

Edited by pubic_assistance

• 1 month later...

Vegan chili and vegan tater-tots should not be really challenging. I mean the Ore-Ida tater tots you can get frozen at the grocery store are already vegan. 

I have several vegan friends, so when I go to a potluck, I like to make my vegetarian chili. I use sweet potato, beans, tomatoes and chipotle peppers. I provide cheese and sour cream on the side if people want to add those, but it's vegan otherwise. Most bean-based chilis would be the same. 

I've had pretty convincing vegan nacho cheese made of cashew cream. My boyfriend is allergic to tree nuts though so that would make him sick. 

I'm not vegan but there are lots of regular foods that happen to be vegan that don't require "vegan versions." Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, pasta with a simple marinera sauce, tacos with veggie fillings and guacamole. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:05 AM, keroscenefire said:

Vegan chili and vegan tater-tots should not be really challenging. I mean the Ore-Ida tater tots you can get frozen at the grocery store are already vegan. 

I have several vegan friends, so when I go to a potluck, I like to make my vegetarian chili. I use sweet potato, beans, tomatoes and chipotle peppers. I provide cheese and sour cream on the side if people want to add those, but it's vegan otherwise. Most bean-based chilis would be the same. 

I've had pretty convincing vegan nacho cheese made of cashew cream. My boyfriend is allergic to tree nuts though so that would make him sick. 

I'm not vegan but there are lots of regular foods that happen to be vegan that don't require "vegan versions." Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, pasta with a simple marinera sauce, tacos with veggie fillings and guacamole. 

I  used to make a vegan chile that had raw cashews.  It didn't matter the crowd, it was always a hit.   haven't made it in a long time. 

• 2 months later...

A bizarre neighborhood dispute has erupted in Perth’s northern suburbs.

And it’s over the smell of food …

On behalf of their vegan family members, a Burns Beach resident has written to their neighbor asking they close their window when cooking their “sickening” meat — PerthNow reports.

The upset writer presented the letter with “PLEASE TAKE SERIOUSLY” written on the front of the envelope containing the request.

The letter submitted to Hey Perth on Facebook begins: “Hello neighbor, could you please shut your side window when cooking?

“My family is vegan — we eat only plant-based foods — and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset.

“We would appreciate your understanding — thanks. Sarah, Wayne, and kids.”

The letter has garnered hundreds of reactions from users on Facebook, primarily dumbfounded by what they’ve read.

“I bet her mouth starts watering when old mate mows his lawn and she gets a whiff of that deliciously fresh cut grass but!” one user wrote.

“I’m offended by the smell of the kale she always cooks,” another wrote.

Others said it was time to get their BBQs out despite the letter.

“Oh, man … I’d be firing up the bbq and inviting the entire street,” one said.

I'm guessing the author's iron deficiency makes him obnoxious.