Halloween 2022

Luv2play

Am I the only one here sitting by the door waiting for kids in costumes to knock at the door? I live in an old family neighbourhood and we have lots of kids around who go off to school in yellow buses most days. So you don't notice them too much except for weekends and this evening when they come to my door.

I went to the stores today to get the treats and found they were mostly sold out. I managed to find enough. I hope more kids come as it is already 7pm and dark and only a dozen or so have knocked on the door. 

I just answered the door as I was writing this and the two characters were almost as tall as I am and I'm 5'11". Lol.

I had about 50 kids in total who came in three large groups and in addition there were about a dozen smaller groups.  All totaled, perhaps 75 to 100 kids.  Two of them rejected the candy I offered as they did not like that kind of candy and did not hesitate to say so.  That is new and just a bit of an indication of where the world is going.  I should admit that one of the refusers did take another set of candy that I offered (I have been giving three small pieces) saying that his father liked that kind of candy, so perhaps there is a bit of hope there.     

7 minutes ago, purplekow said:

I had about 50 kids in total who came in three large groups and in addition there were about a dozen smaller groups.  All totaled, perhaps 75 to 100 kids.  Two of them rejected the candy I offered as they did not like that kind of candy and did not hesitate to say so.  That is new and just a bit of an indication of where the world is going.  I should admit that one of the refusers did take another set of candy that I offered (I have been giving three small pieces) saying that his father liked that kind of candy, so perhaps there is a bit of hope there.     

Interesting on several points. First they start later around here. Had no one before 6pm. And I also hand out three wrapped pieces of different candies to each kid.

They don't have the chance to examine them though as I shove them in their containers before they have a chance to look. Lol

18 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Lived in my neighborhood for almost 30yrs. Used to get tone of kids of all ages.

Now it’s down to a handful of teens dressed as Influencers. 
Porch light off. Not answering the door. 

I had to do that once when I arrived home at 6pm from out of town and had no candies to shell out.

I just had a kid who grabbed the candy out of my hand and exclaimed Burger. He liked the gummies it seems. 😆

Edited by Luv2play

there's a neighborhood a mile or two from me that's extremely well-known locally for its over-the-top Christmas decorations and general year-round family-friendly vibe.....I think kids go there from all over town on Halloween.....nobody has knocked on my door for years on Halloween, but it might be because I leave the house just before sunset and don't return for a couple or three hours so I don't have to answer the door.....is there a name for a Halloween version of Scrooge?!.......

3 hours ago, purplekow said:

My grandparents' generation used to have as much fun playing little pranks on neighbours as they did going trick-or-treating, and my parents' generation went door to door happy to receive any treat, whether that was a homemade cookie, some nuts, or maybe a bit of candy or a penny.  My generation was all about collecting the candy and then watching scary movies after getting home, and today's generation is apparently fine with critiquing the treats being offered.  Maybe tomorrow's generation will expect us to go door to door handing out candy to them.... 🙄

I have a big bowl of candy left.  We don't usually get many kids but in the past year many new families have moved in so I wanted to be ready.  Buy because I have been ill I did not put up any Halloween decorations and the kids just walked past house.  I wanted to just leave the bowl outside for the kids to help themselves but the Ring app was constantly going off with people complaining that a kid would walk up and take the whole bowl and the bowl.  There were videos of cars pulling up and adults running out and stealing the candy and bowls included.  At one house someone took a large pumpkin bowl full of candy and left a bag of dirty rags. 

6 hours ago, LIguy said:

I have a big bowl of candy left.  We don't usually get many kids but in the past year many new families have moved in so I wanted to be ready.  Buy because I have been ill I did not put up any Halloween decorations and the kids just walked past house.  I wanted to just leave the bowl outside for the kids to help themselves but the Ring app was constantly going off with people complaining that a kid would walk up and take the whole bowl and the bowl.  There were videos of cars pulling up and adults running out and stealing the candy and bowls included.  At one house someone took a large pumpkin bowl full of candy and left a bag of dirty rags. 

Nice neighbourhood you live in. Lol