White Lotus Returns

Snbrd

2 hours ago, Snbrd said:

Whether naive or not, the much discussed "uncle/nephew" scene acknowledges that we fuck. Prior to Queer as Folk I don't recall TV or movies acknowledging or depicting gay men fucking. 

The scene is unusual for its explicitness, but there have been plenty of scenes elsewhere  where guys have been in bed together and obviously fucking.

1 hour ago, Njguy2 said:

should be interesting to see how they carry over some of the story lines.

The show is basically an anthology.  With Tanya gone, it'll likely be a whole new cast in S3.

As much as I like Coolidge, she needed to go.  She's not a strong enough actress to carry through as the common thread. 

1 minute ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

As much as I like Coolidge, she needed to go.

Agree…although I never really liked her as much as others. I had to “suspend belief” to understand why she couldn’t go down the steps to the swimstep to board the tender, as she had watched her would be assassin board the yacht that way.

I think Tanya was always a tragic character. Her whole presence was large from the pilot on, and her ultimate tragedy had to be big. The right story was told, ultimately, and offers all sorts of loose ends for us to talk about.

Someone on Twitter pointed out the slow aria at the beginning of the episode, “Dido’s Lament” (the heroine’s death) begins with “Thy hand, Belinda…”

Belinda. Love that.

The series needs to find its next new thing and the bar is high, now. Mike White has a gift for casting, building slow tension, and adding just the right amount of weird, so I expect it will be worth watching. 

The gays take her to Madame Butterfly and Tonya specifically mentions to her assistant that Madame Butterfly dies.  She is alway wearing diaphanous dresses or robes.  Who else could be Madame Butterfly?   Surprised her assistant was released at great personal peril by the "nephew".   Also, with so many people shot on a boat outside a resort, how are the police letting people leave the country?   

One of the Characters, the Time Traveler's Wife actor, mentions next year in the Maldives.  So our two core couples could be back now that both men have slept with the others wife.  It seems that the most sexual tension in that foursome was between the two men.  So Maldives could be the setting for those two and again a murder at the end or more likely both of them with the wives getting away with the money.  

Edited by purplekow

I liked the cast a lot more season 1, so S2 was a bit of a slog for me.  But it's all beautiful, great location, fantastic hotel (not some bullshit RItz Carlton or something like that), I mean for a 4-seasons, generally not my favorite brand, with some notable exceptions like the smaller hotel in Istanbul (sorry NYCman, my Top-Brother, but the larger 4Seasons on the shore in Istanbul is, to me, megagrotesque) and Sicily was filmed perfectly, the outfits were great.  And I loved the finale. 

So, bad acting aside, I guess I liked it more than I thought.  But I do wish Mr. White had cast this season a bit better. 

I checked it out and the least expensive rooms are about $700/night, so, maybe, someday, for a few nights, not the whole stay.  I've never been to Sicily after all.

I hope season 3 is NOT in the Maldives.  Blech.

Edited by Rod Hagen

If you listen to the interview with White at the end of the final episode, he mentions that should there be a season 3, he'd like to place it in a spiritual retreat kind of setting. That could prove hilarious and could take place pretty much anywhere in the world.

On 12/15/2022 at 1:30 AM, Rod Hagen said:

I liked the cast a lot more season 1, so S2 was a bit of a slog for me.  But it's all beautiful, great location, fantastic hotel (not some bullshit RItz Carlton or something like that), I mean for a 4-seasons, generally not my favorite brand, with some notable exceptions like the smaller hotel in Istanbul (sorry NYCman, my Top-Brother, but the larger 4Seasons on the shore in Istanbul is, to me, megagrotesque) and Sicily was filmed perfectly, the outfits were great.  And I loved the finale. 

So, bad acting aside, I guess I liked it more than I thought.  But I do wish Mr. White had cast this season a bit better. 

I checked it out and the least expensive rooms are about $700/night, so, maybe, someday, for a few nights, not the whole stay.  I've never been to Sicily after all.

I hope season 3 is NOT in the Maldives.  Blech.

I've never been to Sicily and looks like a nice place for a getaway :) Wouldn't mind having a cute guy like Albie as a companion :) He's certainly up my alley. Still watching it so no spoilers please!...lol. 

• 1 year later...

Twisted and touches on a lot of real human messiness~ The music throughout is wonderfully Italian and feels good~ all the characters are freaks but, I somehow found affection for most of them at some point along the way but, also their crazy F’ed up sides are thought provoking and disturbing~ 
 They are people who have their bit of charm and would be fun for lunch but, you couldn’t want them any closer in your life~  Season two is set in Italy~ Swoon~   
 There’s a pansexual theme to this series~