Hotel prices skyrocket… literally~

Tygerscent

This attached article stretches credulity. The image of a man and woman standing in their hotel room in space gazing out the window at the earth doesn't reflect reality. Hint: no gravity, so they would be floating in the room. 

Secondly, they mention orbiting the moon in the same sentence as orbiting the earth. There's a helluva difference between the two. 

Speaking of rising hotel prices, I have been monitoring New York City for awhile. When I began, prices were reasonable, but I didn't commit. Then they went up, so i waited for them to go down.

Sad to say, now many hotels are unavailable or priced extremely high. Sure, there are some cheaper ones, but I don't want to stay in them.

To meet the budget I had established, I finally booked a place in...Long Island City! That's a first for me, but I once lived in Forest Hills so know the drill. Will I regret this booking?

16 hours ago, Luv2play said:

This attached article stretches credulity. The image of a man and woman standing in their hotel room in space gazing out the window at the earth doesn't reflect reality. Hint: no gravity, so they would be floating in the room. 

Secondly, they mention orbiting the moon in the same sentence as orbiting the earth. There's a helluva difference between the two. 

Ya… I think in the article and also the actual site they address gravity~ Maybe I misread that~ 

https://orbitalassembly.com

Just wondering: if the moon is orbiting the earth and if a space station is orbiting the moon, isn’t the space station also orbiting the earth along with the moon~?  
 I’m not an astronomer… So, I’m just asking~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

16 hours ago, Lucky said:

Speaking of rising hotel prices, I have been monitoring New York City for awhile. When I began, prices were reasonable, but I didn't commit. Then they went up, so i waited for them to go down.

Sad to say, now many hotels are unavailable or priced extremely high. Sure, there are some cheaper ones, but I don't want to stay in them.

To meet the budget I had established, I finally booked a place in...Long Island City! That's a first for me, but I once lived in Forest Hills so know the drill. Will I regret this booking?

Did you book at that little avant-Gard looking boutique hotel there in Long Island city~? I Stayed there once~ Hotel was basically okay… there was nothing around the neighborhood in terms of dining and “hanging out”… Felt “marginally safe” at night~ Most annoying was the difficulty getting from there to Manhattan and back~ 
 I’m in Manhattan now and hotel prices are ridiculous… the ones listed below are weekday prices on orbitz… (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are anywhere from $50 to $250 more per night). 
 The prices do not reflect services fees, taxes, resort/destination fees or additional hotel fees~  

14BA4E24-188F-46F3-A73A-CA50F4A231EA.jpeg

2C85C2CC-B027-4AE3-AA2F-B70C1819FA2E.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

3 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

Ya… I think in the article and also the actual site they address gravity~ Maybe I misread that~ 

https://orbitalassembly.com

Just wondering: if the moon is orbiting the earth and if a space station is orbiting the moon, isn’t the space station also orbiting the earth along with the moon~?  
 I’m not an astronomer… So, I’m just asking~ 

I just mentioned that orbiting the moon is a much different proposition than orbiting the earth. For the moon, you need  a much more costly endeavour only undertaken by NASA or the Russians or Chinese. Orbiting the earth only requires a spaceship to go up a couple of hundred kilometers in  space which Richard Branson or other private enterprises can do.   

Edited by Luv2play

6 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I just mentioned that orbiting the moon is a much different proposition than orbiting the earth. For the moon, you need  a much more costly endeavour only undertaken by NASA or the Russians or Chinese. Orbiting the earth only requires a spaceship to go up a couple of hundred kilometers in  space which Richard Branson or other private enterprises can do.   

Imagine your flight being effected there or back from the station due to weather or mechanical failure~ …and then there’s travel, health and life insurance~ The security issues alone bogie the mind: for the equipment, technology, passengers, airspace, TSA, etc…
 The number of people allowed on the trip times the cost per person and maintenance of the trip and equipment necessary… it’s an absurd amount of money.
 I look at the world,  these people, (designing it and considering going on it), and this adventure wondering if there were some other investment for that money into life possible~ 
 Your mention of those people standing in their rooms looking out the window, I see this as the view: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 10/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lucky said:

NYC here. 
LIC is the new hotel city. You can find Hilton/Marriot/Hyatt or cheaper ones  

that area has changed a lot  I use some of those hotels to meet providers and so far all has been good 

It is just across 59 st at and Lex so a 20$ ish Uber or cab will be enough. Or subway N/W/R/F/E /7 are easy access 

On 10/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, Luv2play said:

I was thinking about this. Once you hit escape velocity, is it THAT much more costly to get to the moon? At some point you're mostly just using fuel to change direction and relying on momentum to get you where you're going.

Now I agree getting to orbit for a couple of hours and coming back are far cheaper, but if you're talking about an extended trip I'm not sure there's as much of a discrepancy as you'd think.

Edited by sniper

On 10/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, Lucky said:

Remember when this thread was about hotel prices?

That would be "Hotel prices skyrocket... figuratively".

The original post is about space tourism, hence the term "literally" in the thread title.  It can be confusing, as the word "literally" is overused incorrectly by many.  Hence why I figuratively had an orgasm when I read the word "literally" used correctly in figuratively forever. 🤣

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

9 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Back to the topic of literally skyrocketing, I wonder what the new name for the Mile High Club would be?  The Astronomical Unit Club doesn't quite have the same sultry sound to it. 🚀

It also has what could be seen as one slight difficulty in that it would be vanishingly difficult to qualify for membership. 150 million kilometres is a long way (that's 93m miles to some of you).

4 hours ago, mike carey said:

It also has what could be seen as one slight difficulty in that it would be vanishingly difficult to qualify for membership. 150 million kilometres is a long way (that's 93m miles to some of you).

The same could be said about air transport a mere century ago.

How about this: The Million Mile High Club