10 Recipes to Make After Apple Picking

samhexum

16 hours ago, samhexum said:

At Thanksgiving, I always bring my favorite pie - apple, cranberry and raisin.   For some reason, it's slow to disappear - the pecan, lemon meringue and pumpkin pies get the most attention, and then somebody "discovers" my pie and its gone in no time. If it doesn't disappear, I just think "Oh well, more for me," and take it back home.

One of my seasonal faves is baked apples with prunes, which is a very old-fashioned, French grandmotherly kind of dessert. Cut the top inch off apples and core. Fill the inside of each with brown sugar, a bit of cinnamon, and a couple pitted prunes. Drizzle generously with brandy (calvados is great, if you have any lying around), top each with a cube of butter, and bake in a moderate oven until apples are soft, basting with the liquid that collects in the dish.

2 hours ago, Mhs said:

One of my seasonal faves is baked apples with prunes, which is a very old-fashioned, French grandmotherly kind of dessert. Cut the top inch off apples and core. Fill the inside of each with brown sugar, a bit of cinnamon, and a couple pitted prunes. Drizzle generously with brandy (calvados is great, if you have any lying around), top each with a cube of butter, and bake in a moderate oven until apples are soft, basting with the liquid that collects in the dish.

Sounds wonderful.

7 hours ago, Mhs said:

Dates work too. My mother would always cut through the skin of the apple (think of it as around the equator). Apparently it allows the flesh to expand or contract more easily as the fruit heats and cools. (Ed: Dates instead of the prunes, that is.)

12 hours ago, mike carey said:

Dates work too. My mother would always cut through the skin of the apple (think of it as around the equator). Apparently it allows the flesh to expand or contract more easily as the fruit heats and cools. (Ed: Dates instead of the prunes, that is.)

We had a neighbor when I was kid, an older couple whose kids were grown.  They had baked apples for breakfast every morning,  She baked them at night after  dinner so they would be cold by morning and they had them with cream.  She always did the thing of cutting the skin all the way around the apple. i know this because I used to stay over night with them a lot - they were my surrogate parents.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Epigonos said:

I very much enjoy making applesauce. After I mill the hot apples I add Red Hots (Cinnamon Flavored Candy) to the sauce. They give it a great spicy cinnamon flavor and a really nice pink/red color.

Make some pork chops to go along with that, and you can invite Peter Brady over for dinner.

Pork Chops Apple Sauce GIF - Pork Chops Apple Sauce Hungry - Discover &  Share GIFs

On 10/3/2022 at 9:48 AM, Rudynate said:

At Thanksgiving, I always bring my favorite pie - apple, cranberry and raisin.   For some reason, it's slow to disappear

Most people just aren't very adventurous. 

I am the opposite; the sort of guy who always order the most unique thing off the menu. Which sadly never lasts (see first sentence) .

• 2 weeks later...