Chicken Marsala

JEC

4 hours ago, JEC said:

This chicken Marsala recipe is epic, the prosciutto makes it unique:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-marsala-recipe-1951778 

And, I would love to see Tyler Florence naked (or, at least 10 years ago I would)   🥰

I read the recipe instructions and while the concoction sounds delicious, it calls for adding salt three times during the various steps of mixing the ingredients. Way too much for me. I find this the case with these kinds of dishes ordered at restaurants, where the salt is larded on. Too bad because I can't tolerate it for health reasons.

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I read the recipe instructions and while the concoction sounds delicious, it calls for adding salt three times during the various steps of mixing the ingredients. Way too much for me. I find this the case with these kinds of dishes ordered at restaurants, where the salt is larded on. Too bad because I can't tolerate it for health reasons.

There's plenty of different flavour components in the recipe without adding any salt. I can't see the need to add any of it that the recipe mentions (and you didn't mention the fourth dose of it, which I would use, in the prosciutto). (There's probably a spice that could be used for the smoky flavour if even the salt in the prosciutto is too much for you.)

It reminds me of a veal recipe I used to cook back in the Jurassic.

19 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Recipes are a guide.   If you can't tolerate (or don't like) salt or any other ingredient, leave it out, and substitute something else!   One good thing about this recipe - the chicken is not breaded and fried, making it lighter than many Chicken Marsala recipes.

You're right this recipe is crazy for salt.

I think the Prosciutto alone would make it too salty and then this recipe calls for adding a third dose at the end ?

This is one of my favorite go-to dishes...so pretty familiar with how it's made.

The prosciutto would add enough salt to the vegetables that you definitely don't need to add more.

• 2 weeks later...

How much salt to use depends on two things: Ones personal health, and Ones personal taste. I for example salt nearly everything, usually even before I taste it because I like food salty. My doctor claims salt is NOT a cause of high blood pressure but it can definitely aggravate already existing high blood pressure. At 81 I am not on blood pressure medication as I have NEVER had high blood pressure in my life. I entertain a great deal and under salt all the food I prepare for my guests. I put salt on the table and they can easily add additional salt if they wish. It is very easy to add salt to food at the table but impossible to remove it from food at the table.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, Luv2play said:

If I am already being good about sodium intake I can use 1/3- 1/2 (even less with prosciutto added) the amount of salt in any recipe without sacrificing the overall dish. Others dining on it with you can add salt at the table I’d needed.