Eat Healthy AND Exercise

Luv2play

An exhaustive British study which followed hundreds of thousands of health middle aged people for a decade found that one must both have a healthy diet and exercise regularly to maintain good health and avoid life shortening conditions.

A main takeaway is that intense exercise without a good diet leads to increased mortality compared to the people who only did regular exercise but maintained a good diet. In other words, you can't run off the chocolate cake you just gorged on or the pizza or all the other junk food you binge on.

The good news is that moderate exercise like walking and some more strenuous exercise, that breaks out a sweat, each week are sufficient. Also the odd indulgence at the dinner table is also OK as long as the regular healthy diet is maintained consistently.

All of this seems common sense to me but that is because I have always had this lifestyle learned from my parents. So it came second nature to me.

I read about this study in the NYTimes today.

I'm a Gen X guy and over the past several months I've put forth fort a lot of effort into eating healthier I combined better eating with lifting weights & cycling both indoors & outdoors.  After a few months I started noticing some positive changes, such as, a few pounds shed, better muscle tone & feeling more positive & energetic. I found that consistency is very important while I work toward my goals. 

Yes some days you will feel like crap and it's easy to break your routine, but you can't allow negative thinking & behavior to sidestep you

I took up cycling to lose weight about 10 years ago when I was 58. Also started tracking calories without getting carried away (I still eat chocolate cake a few times a week).

Over the last 2 years I started getting random compliments from strangers about my legs. Huge ego boost.

It doesn’t take huge amounts of effort to stay healthy…just the will to actually do it.

• 2 weeks later...

58 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Bottom line, when you stop moving, you start dying.

Eating right and exercising isn't unrealistic when you realize what the alternative is/does. 

It also helps to understand what  REALLY motivates you.  I am much more motivated by having a tight waist than I am by having a healthy BP.  Fortunately, the path to a tight waist is the same as the path to a healthy BP.

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2022 at 11:35 PM, guy7777 said:

I'm a Gen X guy and over the past several months I've put forth fort a lot of effort into eating healthier I combined better eating with lifting weights & cycling both indoors & outdoors.  After a few months I started noticing some positive changes, such as, a few pounds shed, better muscle tone & feeling more positive & energetic. I found that consistency is very important while I work toward my goals. 

Yes some days you will feel like crap and it's easy to break your routine, but you can't allow negative thinking & behavior to sidestep you

What a great message,   I hope all is going well with your continued workouts!    Thanks for sharing.