Florida meningococcal outbreak among gay and bi men

BuffaloKyle

Yeah...I heard about this too. Two important things:

1) There is a vaccine for some meningitis causes. Probably not a bad idea to get that if you're travelling and/or going to be around a lot of people. They are actually recommending it for the MSM population in Florida

2) Bacterial meningitis can be treated with antibiotics but it needs to be done very quickly. If you have a headache, fever, stiff neck or notice a purplish rash, get medical attention immediately so you can get antibiotics as soon as possible. 

This disease is a lot worse than monkeypox. Unless dealt with quickly once symptoms arise, it often is fatal. Many years ago a friend of mine got it and he luckily sought treatment right away. But he was deathly ill for two weeks in the hospital.

He was gay and strong as an ox and about 35 at the time. He passed away from brain cancer about 8 years ago at the age of 60.

• 1 month later...

Ok, the monkeypox thread currently has 27 pages of posts and this thread has 3 posts before mine. I understand that monkeypox is painful, looks horrible, and continues to spread. It's not fatal though, like meningococcal disease can be. Am I to assume that all of you who have received or who are trying to get the monkeypox vaccine have already been vaccinated against meningitis? I'm just trying to process the disparity between the discussions of these two diseases on this forum.  If I've missed another thread about this, I apologize. 

And kudos to all of you who have already received either or both vaccines. 

6 hours ago, jeezopete said:

Ok, the monkeypox thread currently has 27 pages of posts and this thread has 3 posts before mine. I understand that monkeypox is painful, looks horrible, and continues to spread. It's not fatal though, like meningococcal disease can be. Am I to assume that all of you who have received or who are trying to get the monkeypox vaccine have already been vaccinated against meningitis? I'm just trying to process the disparity between the discussions of these two diseases on this forum.  If I've missed another thread about this, I apologize. 

And kudos to all of you who have already received either or both vaccines. 

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I did get the vaccine for meningococcal - it has long been on the list of recommended vaccines for gay men in established health systems like Johns Hopkins and Upenn. 

Edited by FrankR

1 hour ago, LookingAround said:

This has been going on for years. I got the vaccine for this several years ago. 

per the CDC website.  Administer a booster dose of MenB vaccine 1 year after series completion and then every 2 to 3 years thereafter. For those at increased risk due to an outbreak who previously received the MenB vaccine series, CDC recommends a booster dose if a year or more has passed since primary series completion.  

I actually wasn't aware that you needed to get repeat boosters.  The county gave me a booster when I got the first dose of the monkey pox vaccine.

I have a curiosity that probably has an answer so obvious that I'm overlooking it.

Here it is:  The U.S. population is larger female than male.  On the basis of that I'm assuming there are more gay females than gay males.

What is/are the high-risk practices that spawn diseases that devastatingly impact the gay male population but seemingly spare the gay female population?

Could it be under-reporting of cases within the gay female population, a natural biological immunity, less promiscuity within the gay female population?

It just galls me that every contagious malady that comes down the pike seems to be assigned to gay men.

38 minutes ago, sync said:

I have a curiosity that probably has an answer so obvious that I'm overlooking it.

Here it is:  The U.S. population is larger female than male.  On the basis of that I'm assuming there are more gay females than gay males.

What is/are the high-risk practices that spawn diseases that devastatingly impact the gay male population but seemingly spare the gay female population?

Could it be under-reporting of cases within the gay female population, a natural biological immunity, less promiscuity within the gay female population?

It just galls me that every contagious malady that comes down the pike seems to be assigned to gay men.

I would say primarily they're less promiscuous.

2 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

And they don't tend to put dicks inside asses, which is the common means of transmissions of most of these maladies. 

Kevin Slater

That is a very good point anatomically, and it also brings some focus upon the resistance to condom usage.

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2022 at 2:52 AM, FrankR said:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I did get the vaccine for meningococcal - it has long been on the list of recommended vaccines for gay men in established health systems like Johns Hopkins and Upenn. 

Based on this thread in this forum, I asked my Doctor about the Meningitis vaccine and he recommended it.  I received my first dose today.  Thank you, everybody.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, sync said:

Here it is:  The U.S. population is larger female than male.  On the basis of that I'm assuming there are more gay females than gay males...

It just galls me that every contagious malady that comes down the pike seems to be assigned to gay men...

Wow. That's a pretty massive jumping of conclusions. 

Jumping To Conclusions GIFs | Tenor

For one, you're assuming (based on probably incorrect information) that the percentage of women who are lesbians is the same or greater than the percentage of men who have sex with men. The other, wilder assumption is that the sexual activities of gay men and lesbians put them at equal risk of contracting infections, which is highly unlikely to be the case, since women cannot insert their urethras into vaginas or rectums. 😉 Finally, you're assuming that MSM and WSW have similar numbers of partners, also unlikely to be the case. 

Scissoring GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Unicorn

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Wow. That's a pretty massive jumping of conclusions. 

Jumping To Conclusions GIFs | Tenor

For one, you're assuming (based on probably incorrect information) that the percentage of women who are lesbians is the same or greater than the percentage of men who have sex with men. The other, wilder assumption is that the sexual activities of gay men and lesbians put them at equal risk of contracting infections, which is highly unlikely to be the case, since women cannot insert their urethras into vaginas or rectums. 😉 Finally, you're assuming that MSM and WSW have similar numbers of partners, also unlikely to be the case. 

Scissoring GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Your argument(s) against my take "based on probably incorrect information," the "highly unlikely activities of gay men and lesbians put them at equal risk," and "assuming that MSM and WSW have similar numbers of partners are punctuated with "probably," highly unlikely," and "also unlikely."

I began my commentary with "Im assuming."  I'm thinking you should have done the same.  😉

2 hours ago, sync said:

Your argument(s) against my take "based on probably incorrect information," the "highly unlikely activities of gay men and lesbians put them at equal risk," and "assuming that MSM and WSW have similar numbers of partners are punctuated with "probably," highly unlikely," and "also unlikely."

I began my commentary with "Im assuming."  I'm thinking you should have done the same.  😉

Well, I assumed (or, more accurately, concluded) that you made some pretty wild assumptions. 😁