FedEx Delivery

This topic is 787 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm still waiting for delivery on something shipped to myself in Los Angeles from the SF Bay Area last Wednesday. It looks as though the package was in the greater LA area last Friday, and they've been spending all of this time sending it from one facility in the LA area to another. I don't understand the economics of just sending the package from one FeEx facility to another instead of just delivering it. Maybe one of you can explain to me why this saves them money???

Last Updated Apr 18, 2022
Shipping Carrier FEDEX
Shipping Type Fed Ex Ground
Shipped On Apr 13, 2022

P A C O I M A, CA    Apr 18, 2022 At 4:30 AM    On Fed Ex Vehicle For Delivery
P A C O I M A, CA    Apr 18, 2022 At 3:34 AM    At Local Fed Ex Facility
L O S A N G E L E S, CA    Apr 18, 2022 At 2:43 AM    In Transit
L O S A N G E L E S, CA    Apr 17, 2022 At 2:43 PM    In Transit
L O S A N G E L E S, CA    Apr 17, 2022 At 2:42 AM    In Transit
L O S A N G E L E S, CA    Apr 16, 2022 At 2:42 PM    In Transit
B L O O M I N G T O N, CA    Apr 15, 2022 At 9:45 PM    Departed Fed Ex Location
B L O O M I N G T O N, CA    Apr 15, 2022 At 2:10 PM    Arrived At Fed Ex Location
C L A R E M O N T, CA    Apr 15, 2022 At 9:10 AM    In Transit
W I N D S O R, CA    Apr 14, 2022 At 9:07 PM    Left Fed Ex Origin Facility
W I N D S O R, CA    Apr 14, 2022 At 7:29 PM    Shipment Arriving On- Time
W I N D S O R, CA    Apr 14, 2022 At 6:59 PM    Arrived At Fed Ex Location
W I N D S O R, CA    Apr 14, 2022 At 12:00 AM    Picked Up
Apr 13, 2022 At 1:54 PM    Shipment Information Sent To Fed Ex

For logistics companies, it's not about the single package, but instead about the volume in specific areas/regions.  There are a few reasons this might happen:

• They don't want the package to arrive too soon.  If it's ground shipping and they promised it in 3 days...  if they could turn it around in 1 day and people knew that they would more likely use the cheaper options instead of the options that guaranteed it there faster and roll the dice more.  
  • If it's scheduled to arrive by default on Tuesday in LA, but that location is going to have more packages/volume... instead of holding it at a location that has a higher real estate cost, route it through a cheaper location that has cheaper costs.  By adding a hop, they can space packages out in specific hubs/regions to manage capacity.  
  • Sometimes even when paying for ground service, they might send the package partially via air because they have excess capacity they pre-booked and if it's not used, it's lost.  So it's cheaper to do it that way for them.

I have noticed the same thing - on more than one occasion, the tracking history indicated that the parcel was here in San Francisco and was then returned to the original location and sent back to San Francisco by a different route - sort of like when the GPS hiccups and starts sending you in circles.

3 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

and sometimes they're just a disorganized mess...

I'm finally getting my package (in-state) after 6 days today. If they want to be dicks about it, and not let me pick up a package in 2 days because it's a 3 day delivery, that's probably within their rights, although it is a dickish move. But sending packages back and forth serves no useful purpose and needlessly increases greenhouse gasses. And no need for delivery to take nearly a week, especially when they could have chosen to deliver it sooner.

18 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I'm finally getting my package (in-state) after 6 days today. If they want to be dicks about it, and not let me pick up a package in 2 days because it's a 3 day delivery, that's probably within their rights, although it is a dickish move. But sending packages back and forth serves no useful purpose and needlessly increases greenhouse gasses. And no need for delivery to take nearly a week, especially when they could have chosen to deliver it sooner.

We unfortunately don't know the specific circumstances of what happened in this case.  There could have been a mechanical issue on the truck shipping the item and it was brought back.  Or it could have been a routing mistake, or one of a hundred other issues.  (Meaning it may not have been intended as a "punitive" routing.)  But unless they were in violation of the promised delivery date, it ultimately would not be investigated.  

There probably isn’t a truck going from the big warehouses in riverside to your house.  So the package is going from regional distribution center to county center to San Fernando Valley distribution center. 

Imagine 3 of the same packages coming from the Bay Area, one going to you, one to San Diego and one to Malibu.  How would you save on gas for the delivery?   Scale that by 100000x