Did you play with Ken dolls or GI Joe's as a kid?

This topic is 796 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My partner "Chris" and I were talking about our experiences as children. He tried to play with his sister's Ken dolls, but his father got very angry, and took them away. He did let him have GI Joe action figures, though. He said he used to make his "action figures" kiss each other, and lie on top of each other. He didn't know why he was doing it, at the time. My mother did let me have Ken dolls, and I was very insistent that she get the ones with the fully bendable/articulated legs, and I used to like seeing the Ken doll with his legs above his head and knees bent. I didn't know why at the time, either. What did you do as a kid? 

image.thumb.png.d9464416d3e7c07531c80365ad460239.png

image.png.f56d18317e0109bdf942bf8ac42f84b9.png

GI Joes:

image.png.f07a85f0bfa5927a83d6c2f82adc5783.png

image.thumb.png.16baf441f6e6f58b67e4e837d58b5032.png

image.png

Edited by Unicorn

I still have him, he currently resides in retirement in my nightstand drawer, dressed in an orange jump suit with black boots. 

My dad did not like me playing with a doll, so when his army uniform wore out, my folks though if he did not have clothes I would stop playing with him.   I had to resort to him being bare foot and clothed with larger items from my sisters Barbie collection.   My Aunts noted the situation and gave me all sorts of clothes and adventurer sets for Joe as gifts (it was fortunate they worked at Toys R Us).  Apparently it was "OK" for my younger brothers to have GI Joe's, the kind with the Kung Fu grip hands.  

My original Joe was the blond early 1960's version, then he got a buddy, the red hair and beard "Sea Adventure" guy [now re-branded from a military guy to an adventurer]

I will confess when Joe was captured by the bad guys, more often than not he was eventually tied up.....

When I was at elementary School in Italy I had a girl school friend who living very nearby sometimes invited me at her home to study and play. She had a whole collection of Barbies which I loved, Ken included, and even if I loved Barbie's clothing I remember that I loved Ken's body, even without genitals...

10 hours ago, Charlie said:

When the Ken doll first appeared, I was already playing with real guys named Ken.

I just googled it.  The first  Ken doll came out in 1961. The first GI Joe came out in 1964.  So for Ken, I would have been 9 and GI Joe, I would have been 12 - a little beyond dolls.   At 9, I would have been in 4th grade - a little old for dolls.

13 hours ago, Italiano said:

... I remember that I loved Ken's body, even without genitals...

1 Pc White Skin Nude Naked Ken doll 12" Tall / with 12 joint Moveable / for  Barbie Boy Bridegroom Birthday Gift Baby Toy 2015|doll 12|ken dolldoll doll  - AliExpress

large-busy-hand-ken-1628

Edited by Unicorn