What Would You Put On Your Epitaph?

MysticMenace

• 10 months later...
50 minutes ago, sync said:

I've opted for cremation with my ashes scattered at sea.

Finally, a cruise.

That’s a funny thing to put on your tombstone…..grin

Minor points of order…..

The title of the thread is incorrect. One cannot write something "on your epitaph". 
An epitaph is what one writes on a tombstone or cenotaph. 

Which brings us to…..

On 2/13/2022 at 3:55 AM, Tygerscent said:

Thought of a new potential epitaph for one of my many tombstones…

You can only have one tombstone, but you may have as many cenotaphs as you wish. 

Class dismissed. 

17 minutes ago, nycman said:

Minor points of order…..

The title of the thread is incorrect. One cannot write something "on your epitaph". 

Which brings us to…..

You can only have one tombstone, but you may have as many cenotaphs as you wish. 

Class dismissed. 

I suggest replacing the eggplant/aubergine emoji with a cenotaph.

2 hours ago, nycman said:

Minor points of order…..

Which brings us to…..

Class dismissed. 

Actually that's not correct. Some people are choosing to have their cremated remains divided in two and buried in two separate cemeteries. In one case the woman wanted to be buried with her parents and grandparents but half her remains were to be buried with her husband when he dies. Two cemeteries in separate cities and her name will appear on both tombstones.

In the case of a great uncle who died in France in WWI, his tombstone is at Vimy Ridge but his name also appears on the tombstone of his parents' grave in my town's cemetery. 

In another case a friend is buried with his second wife elsewhere but his name was inscribed on his first wife's tombstone before they got divorced. When he died the family put his date of death on the stone even though he was not buried there. 

I know of other cases where people have two tombstones but are only buried in one grave for various reasons. Cemeteries can be deceiving places.

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Actually that's not correct. Some people are choosing to have their cremated remains divided in two and buried in two separate cemeteries. In one case the woman wanted to be buried with her parents and grandparents but half her remains were to be buried with her husband when he dies. Two cemeteries in separate cities and her name will appear on both tombstones.

In the case of a great uncle who died in France in WWI, his tombstone is at Vimy Ridge but his name also appears on the tombstone of his parents' grave in my town's cemetery. 

In another case a friend is buried with his second wife elsewhere but his name was inscribed on his first wife's tombstone before they got divorced. When he died the family put his date of death on the stone even though he was not buried there. 

I know of other cases where people have two tombstones but are only buried in one grave for various reasons. Cemeteries can be deceiving places.

The divided ashes (or for that matter body parts) is something I had though, of but it seemed nitpicky. But in the interest of academic masterbation (don’t worry I admit I stroked first), you can have two tombstones if you divide the remains. 

For your other two examples, I think you missed the linguistic point I was trying to make. If you remains aren’t there….it’s not your "tomb", therefore it’s not a tombstone, it’s a cenotaph. A cenotaph (literally "empty tomb") is a marker for someone buried somewhere else. 

Yes, of course you can put your name on someone else’s tombstone (with their body buried there but not yours) and technically have your name on two tombstones, but it’s not your tombstone and I would still count that as a cenotaph.

This is getting too far into mental masterbation even for a dork like me. Call it want ever the fuck you want, I’m dead. 

Edited by nycman

5 hours ago, nycman said:

Minor points of order…..

Which brings us to…..

Class dismissed. 

About writing on a tombstone, would that require something on the order of a weather-resistant Sharpie?

I haven't studied in depth the history of cenotaphs in my country Canada, but know many of them were erected after the Great War from 1914 to 1918. The government decreed that the fallen soldiers would not be repatriated and were buried where they fell, mostly in France.

There was pressure to memorialize their names on their native soil and so cenotaphs sprung up across the country. Every small town had one and large cities had much more elaborate memorials. 

Then after the Second World War more cenotaphs were erected and many had the names of both WWI and WWII soldiers. In my small town we have two cenotaphs, dating from each world war. My great uncle's name is on both. They are in different parts of the town. The larger one is where each November 11th the commemoration Remembrance Day ceremonies are held, marking the last day of WWI in 1918, when the armistice was declared.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:55 AM, nycman said:

Minor points of order…..

Which brings us to…..

Class dismissed. 

Recess is over… is there the assumption here is that my remains are all going in one place~?  Mine actually are not~ I will be in several places~ My moms remains are also spread around in several places~ Her ashes are deposited all around the world in special places for special reasons: (Belize, Paris, Zagreb, Poland, several places in Spain & Italy, two places in Greece, Turkey, Slovenia, Scotland, Portland Oregon, Florence Oregon, SF, Washington State and more…)~ She literally has numerous places with markers where her remains “remain”.🙂

Does this constitute writing on one’s epitaph~!?😳

838A0B83-A8AD-4910-A7AD-F435C5C99571.jpeg

8EE709B0-5BFD-4170-B49B-4CD70C487ADD.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

21 hours ago, Luv2play said:

One of my Great Great Grandmothers is buried in two places: one with some of her blood family in Arlington cemetery in milwaukee Wisconsin and the other with her husband’s and their children’s family also in Arlington but, in a different part of the cemetery than the former~ It has to do with cemetery rules, rules of a particular ethnicity and religion~  It’s complicated: other factors involved: death of other spouses, remarriage, seven of their children’s deaths from polio, diphtheria and a nephrology issue that took out her set of twins at a very early age~ 

swath doesn’t seem to be easy even after you die~ 🤷‍♂️

18 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I haven't studied in depth the history of cenotaphs in my country Canada, but know many of them were erected after the Great War from 1914 to 1918. The government decreed that the fallen soldiers would not be repatriated and were buried where they fell, mostly in France.

There was pressure to memorialize their names on their native soil and so cenotaphs sprung up across the country. Every small town had one and large cities had much more elaborate memorials. 

Then after the Second World War more cenotaphs were erected and many had the names of both WWI and WWII soldiers. In my small town we have two cenotaphs, dating from each world war. My great uncle's name is on both. They are in different parts of the town. The larger one is where each November 11th the commemoration Remembrance Day ceremonies are held, marking the last day of WWI in 1918, when the armistice was declared.

My uncle was killed in Germany in 1945 and is buried in a US military cemetery in Belgium, where his only grave marker stands. To the best of my knowledge, I am the only family member who has ever visited it. 😞

My father's family had a plot in New York where it was interesting to read all the tombstones. There was a bench to sit, and family members sometimes even met there on summer Sunday afternoons for picnics with their ancestors. My parents purchased a more "modern" cemetery plot in the suburbs, where tombstones are not allowed, only brass plaques with names set in the ground. What fun is that?

41 minutes ago, Charlie said:

My uncle was killed in Germany in 1945 and is buried in a US military cemetery in Belgium, where his only grave marker stands. To the best of my knowledge, I am the only family member who has ever visited it. 😞

A lovely man from my town was killed on a bombing mission in Germany in 1944 and is buried there. I have seen a picture of him taken in 1937 with his football team. He was a tall dark gorgeous hunk. His family placed a marker on the family plot here in the town cemetery which says he is buried in Germany. War is a bitch. 

46 minutes ago, Charlie said:

My father's family had a plot in New York where it was interesting to read all the tombstones. There was a bench to sit, and family members sometimes even met there on summer Sunday afternoons for picnics with their ancestors. My parents purchased a more "modern" cemetery plot in the suburbs, where tombstones are not allowed, only brass plaques with names set in the ground. What fun is that?

I agree. My parents are buried in one of those modern cemetries that sprung up in the 1950's. Just flat bronze plaques so they could cut the grass easily. 

All my other ancestors are in traditional cemeteries with lovely monuments, which is where I will end up too.