Most common dog names around the world!

marylander1940
This topic is 898 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have known many dogs with the various names listed, but I am flattered by the number that are named after me: "Charlie" is apparently the second most popular male dog name around the world, from Iceland to New Zealand. However, I have owned only two dogs with any of the names: "Duke" (2nd most popular male name in North Macedonia), and "Greta" (3rd most popular female name in Latvia).

"Max" is the most popular dog name around the world, which may be why so many people seem to mishear my dog's name (it's actually "Mats").

On 11/17/2021 at 7:31 AM, Pensant said:

I know a lot of dogs, yet I’ve never encountered one with any of these names! I know it’s weird, since I’ve never owned a dog, but I feel a kinship with the dozens of dogs I’ve come to know over the years. I really love them and I think they can tell.

They are the most common. I can confirm that "Charlie" is a very common dog name in Canada. Probably just like me, you are surrounded by non-conventional folks. I can recall 2 of my family dogs for the singularity of their names. We decided their names based on their behaviour: one was bisexual (or gay I don't know) and always looking to fight other dogs, we decided to call it "Popcorn", and the other one was like a spoiled little kid, would not detach from my mother, we called him just like that "Spoiled".

8 hours ago, lonely_john said:

They are the most common. I can confirm that "Charlie" is a very common dog name in Canada. Probably just like me, you are surrounded by non-conventional folks. I can recall 2 of my family dogs for the singularity of their names. We decided their names based on their behaviour: one was bisexual (or gay I don't know) and always looking to fight other dogs, we decided to call it "Popcorn", and the other one was like a spoiled little kid, would not detach from my mother, we called him just like that "Spoiled".

I’ve been thinking of getting a female mini Aussie and naming her Sydney, even though Aussies originated in Nevada with Basque shepherds. If I get a male dog I may name him Harold. I used to own a Maine Coon named Watson.

I have sometimes acquired  adult dogs and cats that already had names, but I usually renamed them. My Australian Terrier was called Snuggles, which I couldn't imagine calling out in a dog park; I renamed her Miss Jane, because she reminded me of my favorite author, Miss Jane Austen. When we got our black Persian cat, he was called Smoky, but he was so regal that we called him Cyrus (the Great). The only animal we didn't rename was a Greyhound named Guinevere, because she had already won dog shows with that name.

I have had 13 dogs  None of their names on that list.  Those dogs that came to me with names had the name changed if they came from a shelter or bad situation and the ones that in happy homes that needed a new home kept their given name.   

Kismet.  was always Kismet  Found in a box and took her in as a puppy

Holly was always Holly

Sassy was a street dog and just earned her name

Fred was a street dog that kept his name after we finally got him in from the streets. He ran with another dog that was a neighbors dog and that dog was Barney

Bailey was Buddy in the shelter

Tayla was Honey from the rescuers and nameless from the puppy mill that breed her over and over again

Baxter was a street dog that was named after someone named Fred whose last name was Baxter and I thought that Fred and Baxter were good dog names

Rusty was a street dog that was Rusty colored

Ben was in the rescue as Ben  His owner had died and so he kept his name

Bonehead was Buddy in the Pet Store that was going to put him down and he earned his name when he walked into my home picked up a bone, tossed it in the air and hit himself in the head.  I must admit that I was considering calling him Boner but calling out Boner over and over again in the dog park felt a bit strange.  Did call him Bone for short.  He was a yellow lab and a bit of a bonehead but a totally lovable lug of a dog.  

Bear came from a happy home whose owner joined the military and so he stayed Bear 

Bubba was Stitches at the rescue as he needed his ear sewn up but he just looked like a Bubba and so it was

Brandy was Rosie by the rescuer who found her near some rose bushes.  Her brandy color and intoxicating personality led to her name. 

Edited by purplekow

49 minutes ago, purplekow said:

Rusty was a street dog that was Rusty colored

When I was 11-years old, we got a pup from a family friend whose Irish Setter had a litter with a Yellow Lab.  We took her at 6-weeks old and couldn't agree on a name.  About a week later we were watching an old Untouchables episode with Elizabeth Montgomery as a nightclub owner named Rusty Heller.  As soon as they said the name, we all looked at each other, then over at the pup, then back at each other again.  She was my best friend for 12 years.  Smartest dog I've ever met.  Friendly to everyone but so protective of my family and especially me.  She was also a "rust" color and most people thought that's why she had the name.    

Years ago, I had a friend who named his pup D'Oggi.  It was pronounced Dee-oh-jee.  It took some people a while to realize his name spelled the word D-O-G.