What's been your experience, Lyft vs Uber?

On 11/4/2021 at 5:00 PM, Luv2play said:

I'm such a babe in the woods. I have never taken a Lyft or Uber ride. On the rare occasion I can't drive myself, I take a taxi, which I've been doing for over 50 years.

I’ve loaded Lyft on my phone for emergency, may never need it, haven’t yet. I’m glad they’re around to help keep impaired drivers from making really bad choices. (Fall crop-tops not included…)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on who is cheapest at the time.   I like the Delta and Hilton points on Lyft but I have a $15 a month credit ($35 in december) with Am Ex.   At least with the Am Ex credit, a bar by my house is part of uber eats, so I can just order dinner from there using uber eats and use the credit that way.

A friend of mine used to do both.   He said Lyft pays a little better and that his tips are a lot better with Lyft.   He just does food delivery now he said the tips doing ride share really sucked some nights

Uber service has deteriorated recently.  I have used Uber for several years and for more than one hundred trips.

With the layoff of drivers due to fewer customers (caused by the virus) together with higher fee sharing costs by Uber, plus longer wait times for an Uber to arrive, it is not a bad idea to consider a regular taxi. 

For example, ten days ago I used Uber to get to the airport from my house, which usually is less that twenty dollars with Uber. 

However, when I returned to my home city and took the exact same reverse route to my house using Uber, the fee was more than sixty dollars, or more than three times the fare even though the traffic was not busy and the airport was not overly crowded. 

The Uber people are finally getting smart.  It does not take a genius to realize that a person arriving at an airport after a flight is willing to pay a higher fare to get home or where they need to go versus a person who is still at home and has the option of calling Uber, Lyft or a taxi. 

No doubt about it, the Uber drivers have to make money as does Uber, the company. 

In my latest instance, Uber devised a plan to make the most money from trapped customers at airports who have no choice but to pay a higher fee to get home. 

Money makes the world go around.    

While in the last several months, when flying from LAX, we have been leaving our car at the house of one of Chris's' friends, who lives in El Segundo, but that friend's father is deathly ill in the hospital. Long-term parking for 9 days would be running around $150, so we decided to schedule Lyft for a scheduled pickup of 11 to 11:10. As of 10:55, Lyft had not even bothered to find a driver for us, so we scheduled a ride with Uber at $58 plus tip, and thank God he came in 13 minutes. Lyft finally deigned to find us a driver at around 10:58, but he was an 18 minute ride away, so we told them to fuck off. Note to self: don't schedule a ride a a certain time, at least not with Lyft. They don't give a crap about your schedule, even when your ride is to the airport. I prepared for shenanigans for our ride back. 

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Is Chris also known as "Chris" 

Just checking

Correct. My partner's name isn't really Chris. I gave him the pen name of Chris because he's from the home city of Olympic gold medalist skater Christi Yamaguchi. 

I actually used to be a Lyft (and briefly an Uber) driver fomr 2016-early 2020. Lyft was definitely better/easier just because they had a very easy to find and useful "hub" where you were able to set-up everything easy and go if you had problems.

In Denver there are definitely fewer Lyft drivers than Uber drivers and as a driver it could be annoying because we could be pulled from quite far away. I definitely had passengers that were 7-8, even 10 miles away from me. It didn't always make sense for me to pick those passengers up either if I was really wanting to be in a certain part of town or whatever. 

But I do think we got paid more than Uber drivers. We definitely kept a slightly higher percentage of the fare and with longer rides that ended up being a decent side gig. My understanding is that Uber has better "Surge" prices though and that a driver could make a lot taking advantage of that even though Lyft overall had better fares for the drivers. 

• "Chris" and I are in Puerto Vallarta right now. About 2-3 years ago, Uber was easier to deal with than taxis, and the fares were better. I've tried them a couple of times so far, and have ended up going back to taxis. They're cheaper, readily available, and maybe Uber has made them more honest about the fares. On our way from the airport to our hotel, the Uber wanted to charge 340 pesos, and the expected wait 17 minutes. The taxi took us there for 250 pesos (about $12). Similar story when we went to a restaurant. Cab was cheaper and faster. And I'm getting sick and tired of Uber drivers who accept a ride, then either don't move for over 5 minutes, or cancel 5 minutes later, leaving me in a lurch. 

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:
  • "Chris" and I are in Puerto Vallarta right now. About 2-3 years ago, Uber was easier to deal with than taxis, and the fares were better. I've tried them a couple of times so far, and have ended up going back to taxis. They're cheaper, readily available, and maybe Uber has made them more honest about the fares. On our way from the airport to our hotel, the Uber wanted to charge 340 pesos, and the expected wait 17 minutes. The taxi took us there for 250 pesos (about $12). Similar story when we went to a restaurant. Cab was cheaper and faster. And I'm getting sick and tired of Uber drivers who accept a ride, then either don't move for over 5 minutes, or cancel 5 minutes later, leaving me in a lurch. 

Happens a lot lately.  I reported about this above.

Uber will soon be history if it keeps up the "surge" pricing and frequent cancelations and long waits.  

I’ve use Lyft and Uber and a few other ride services including several abroad. Nationally here in the states I prefer left. I’ve already been waiting for an Uber ride numerous times where they simply didn’t show up because they excepted another ride. The part that irritated me about that was they canceled after I’ve been standing out there and waiting for maybe 45 minutes an hour and a half. One time in San Francisco I had an Uber driver drive right up to me and as I was reaching for the doorhandle, he took off… I called and texted him to ask him what was going on. He told me to call for another ride because he excepted a better job for somebody going to the airport. I called the company and got that all resolved but, what would ever make me want to use that service again~?
 I have found Lyft drivers to be more friendly, I found them to be more on time, the rates are better and according to many other drivers that I talk to the company treats the drivers better. A lot of them work for both companies and so they have something to compare to~ 

Somewhere I had learned that Uber also had some sort of political agenda and public affiliation~ And depending on where you fall politically, that might influence so you might want to ride with

I have only used Uber. Mostly good rides. The one major problem I had was trying to get one in London from the airport to the flat where I was staying. The flight landed late and I was almost the last person out of the airport at around 9:30 at night. I tried 3 times to get an Uber to come to a nearly empty airport and no one picked up. Had to go to the next more expensive choice to get someone to pick me up. Wasn't thrilled about that. I will probably add Lyft to my phone incase it happens again.

13 minutes ago, Islesguy said:

I will probably add Lyft to my phone incase it happens again.

Lyft does not operate in London.  It operated mainly in the U.S

Edit:

Lyft operates in the United States and Canada.  The company sets specific requirements on the vehicles used by drivers and has several different categories or levels of service. The Lyft app for smartphones notifies passengers of the driver's arrival and gives them an estimated cost in advance.

Edited by coriolis888
added location where Lyft operates

• 9 months later...

I keep both Lyft and Uber applications on my mobile telephone.  When I need to use them, I enter my pick up and drop off information in both.  I compare rates and pick up times to decide which one to select for that ride.  In some cities, Uber is the only market, or one clearly has consistently better rates and response times.  But some markets are so competitive that Uber will have lower rates and faster response times one moment, then Lyft will be better a few minutes later.  If rates and availability are a tie, I chose Lyft only because they are smaller and I prefer to give my business to the underdog, if only to keep them in business in order to perpetuate price and service competition.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

On 11/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, Unicorn said:

When I go to Puerto Vallarta, I now use the Uber application to get an idea of the typical Uber fare for my trip (for example, 200 Pesos from my timeshare to Zona Romantica), then hail a taxi and offer them that Uber price for my trip before I get in the cab.  The taxi driver usually agrees, and then I am happy that I negotiated in advance a reasonable fare, my money wasn't going to a large international corporation, and was able to maintain my privacy by paying cash.

I use both Lyft and Uber, but favor Uber because of several instances where a Lyft driver was on the road, only minutes away, then suddenly disappears from the face of the earth; very annoying. On one of these occasions, I had already waited 20 minutes and the car was only three minutes away when it vanished. The app did not try to find another driver. I then used Uber and the car was there within 6 minutes.

I do like the Lyft app appearance better, but its performance can get glitchy.

For the last few years, Lyft has had a rep for being more driver-friendly, sensitive to their needs, blah, blah, than Uber. So I tried to use Lyft more often. 

Yesterday, I saw a headline that Lyft is claiming it's not a transport company so that they don't have to accommodate wheelchair-bound riders under the ADA. 

I knew Lyft would finally come around!!  (sarcasm)

I wanted to use rideshare Saturday home since it was late and Uber quoted $23 and Lyft $12 for a ride to my condo from a gay bar just a little over a mile from my house.    It was pride weekend so high demand here.   But it was a 15 minute wait for Lyft to get there and 12 for Uber so I just walked home.

I think the OP issue is about something specific to the Hollywood Hills and other residential areas with sporadic cellphone coverage. The drivers are entirely dependent on the navigation to find their way out of the winding streets, afraid of getting lost or unable to contact you before they pick you up if they lose service, or after dropping you off, and unable to get their next ride after dropping you off... which also would explain why the map shows them not moving (they are moving, but the app isn't updating their position).

There was a different problem for awhile in 2021, which was a huge shortage of drivers, long wait times and fewer cars available, so some drivers were dropping requests because of the distance to pickup if a much closer request came in on the other service, but that has largely been resolved now that there are plenty of drivers out there.