Bros (2022)

BuffaloKyle

I'd love to see a major motion picture come out of Hollywood that is 100% happy and has absolutely nothing sad or depressing in it...

a romantic comedy with an ensemble cast of gay men.... maybe like something like "Pride Weekend", and it'll be set in Provincetown, and it's about ten gay men from all different ages and backgrounds who meet there and they have lots of fun.  There can be cameos by Liza and Dolly and Cher and Madonna.... and Charo too!

1 hour ago, Merboy said:

I'd love to see a major motion picture come out of Hollywood that is 100% happy and has absolutely nothing sad or depressing in it...

a romantic comedy with an ensemble cast of gay men.... maybe like something like "Pride Weekend", and it'll be set in Provincetown, and it's about ten gay men from all different ages and backgrounds who meet there and they have lots of fun.  There can be cameos by Liza and Dolly and Cher and Madonna.... and Charo too!

Too bad Marlene Deitrich is no longer alive. Seriously, good idea

• 8 months later...

Billy is a treat to watch acting, and to listen to in interviews. I hope it will do well! 
He plays an obnoxious Billy “on the Street” but not like him IRL, which Bros may show. 

I think that gay themed movies out in the last several years have not been examples of excellent writing or acting. Too much tired camp in comedies. Because it is something we’re all familiar with, coming out, conflict with faith/family are the storylines in damn near everything. Young LGBTQ audiences see that as non-historical but current. Lots of older LGBTQ audiences want to see credible gay characters in major roles, even though it may be just understood from the get go that the story isn’t focusing on  relationship issue. Lots of films have married straight characters to lead, but their sex life, itself, is merely assumed. 

The writers who are good enough, I think  are already writing main stream for bezillions of dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 1:14 AM, jeezifonly said:

I think that gay themed movies out in the last several years have not been examples of excellent writing or acting. Too much tired camp in comedies. Because it is something we’re all familiar with, coming out, conflict with faith/family are the storylines in damn near everything. 

Don't know if you read the article yesterday, but Elizabeth Purcell talked about just that:

In what shape is queer cinema now?

It’s remarkable that queer cinema has grown into this gigantic ecosystem of filmmaking. But I want more. I want trans filmmakers to make the films they want to make. I want to see filmmakers push boundaries. Queer cinema should be more than just X film but make it gay — thriller but make it gay or horror film but make it gay. I want to see what’s next.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/movies/elizabeth-purchell-queer-film-historian-interview.html

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shocker.

Another.... "the hairless, white muscle boys" are the popular kids that everyone dreams about being or dating playing on decades old stereotypes in hopes that it can crossover to drive a few liberal straight people to the theater... 'gay movie'. 

Slow claps to bitter NYC queen Billy Eichner for cashing in on a total work of fiction that only happens .000000001% of the time in real life.     

Edited by EastCoastBtm

• 1 month later...

This is not a documentary it is a gay rom-com with meet cute, fall in love, have a fight, be tormented by the break up and then get together again for a My Big  Bulged Gay Wedding.   Yes that is unrealistic but it will sell tickets and be seen endlessly on SyFy or more likely Logo.  

Edited by purplekow

On 9/22/2022 at 9:43 PM, purplekow said:

This is not a documentary it is a gay rom-com with meet cute, fall in love, have a fight, be tormented by the break up and then get together again for a My Big  Bulged Gay Wedding.   Yes that is unrealistic but it will sell tickets and be seen endlessly on SyFy or more likely Logo.  

It should have been titled When Harry Met Gary! 😇

Saw it last night at The Grove.  Was packed, mostly gay or gay-aligned crowd.  It's very good.  It's much less a "Romantic Comedy", those movies are a pretty low bar, and more a Judd Aptow comedy (he's a producer) that happens to be gay.

Although popular on the coasts, it was not so in Middle America and it performed poorly this weekend, which is too bad.

I recommend going out to see it, you'll have a good night.  

Edited by Rod Hagen

It flopped at the box office this past weekend only earning $4.8 million. I'm not really surprised though. It's a tough movie to sell outside of the LGBTQ+ community. Billy Eichner took to twitter about it:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/bros-box-office-star-billy-eichner-decries-homophobia-after-dismal-opening/ar-AA12wxeS?OCID=ansmsnnews11

4 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

It flopped at the box office this past weekend only earning $4.8 million. I'm not really surprised though. It's a tough movie to sell outside of the LGBTQ+ community. Billy Eichner took to twitter about it:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/bros-box-office-star-billy-eichner-decries-homophobia-after-dismal-opening/ar-AA12wxeS?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Back in 2005, Brokeback Mountain took in $83 million in the US and $178 million worldwide.  I'm not buying Billy Eichner's charge of homophobia for the movie's flop at the box office. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Ridiculous.

It’s just not a great movie. 

People need to get over themselves. 

I've seen a few trailers on Youtube that gave me a chuckle or two, but not enough to make me see the movie. Personal tastes vary, but I just didn't find them all that funny. Friends like it and insisted I had to see it because of its subject matter. Sorry, but nope. I'm glad others like it, but that's not mandatory.

7 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Yikes, the studio spent $40 million on marketing!  No wonder Billy Eichner is so upset by the opening weekend bomb.  I agree that the movie has limited appeal beyond gay men.  Straight women are the biggest audience for romantic comedies because they want to identify with the protagonist and enjoy the romance fantasy.  Since few will identify with a gay male lead, they won't bother to see Bros no matter how big the marketing budget.  It's not that the movie-going public is homophobic; it's that the studio execs simply lacked common sense.

14 hours ago, BSR said:

Yikes, the studio spent $40 million on marketing!  No wonder Billy Eichner is so upset by the opening weekend bomb.  I agree that the movie has limited appeal beyond gay men.  Straight women are the biggest audience for romantic comedies because they want to identify with the protagonist and enjoy the romance fantasy.  Since few will identify with a gay male lead, they won't bother to see Bros no matter how big the marketing budget.  It's not that the movie-going public is homophobic; it's that the studio execs simply lacked common sense.

Eichner is correct. Of course the movie-going public is homophobic. America is homophobic, so why should the American movie-going public be any different? 
As for needing to “identify with the lead” in order to succeed, that’s why you’re not in the movie business. You’ll be shocked to learn that I am not a crazy rich Asian.

Edited by Peter Eater