Bros (2022)

BuffaloKyle

Saw it yesterday at suburb of Chicago. Total 7 audiences for 6pm Sunday night showing. 

I think it’s a miscast.  At the end of the day I don’t want root for them to be together.  I kept thinking why couldn’t they get this movie made in early 2000s with Sean Hayes or 10years ago With Jim Parson? Those two were in network TV hits that time. They could probably open the movie with 15 to 20 mil weekend.

Stereotypical, NYC-centric, Instagays using overused gay tropes to be funny. 

Will I watch it, probably.  Will I laugh, probably.  Will I be yet again be disappointed that our ability to tell a meaningful story about the lives of our community be once again limited to NYC, Los Angeles, and San Francisco where all the guys are muscular, hairless, perfect, having group sex and fabulous brunches the next day.... absolutely.

I'm more curious about Firebird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_(2021_film)#:~:text=Set in the Soviet Air,private and a fighter pilot.&text=Firebird had its world premiere,Festival on 17 March 2021.

Most comedies about gay romance/relationships are poorly acted, unfunny and just badly crafted as films.
If this is a little better crafted and a little funnier, two out of three is kind of a win. 
NY rom-coms about straight couples?? there is nothing new that can be done anymore, short of a 90yr old couple meeting cute  in hospice.
I bet Bros has better dick jokes. 

Definitely well crafted. Just wish someone had told Eichner to tone his character down a notch or two - he's super annoying - Woody Allen minus the wit and charm, which makes their story not that believable. But still, it's very watchable and fun. 10 to 15 minutes shorter and Eichner less annoying would have made it a perfect gem.

30 minutes ago, scrtlovr said:

Definitely well crafted. Just wish someone had told Eichner to tone his character down a notch or two - he's super annoying - Woody Allen minus the wit and charm, which makes their story not that believable. But still, it's very watchable and fun. 10 to 15 minutes shorter and Eichner less annoying would have made it a perfect gem.

Too bad Nick Jonas wasn't offered Eichner's rule.

• 1 month later...

Watched on Peacock -totally worth it.

Liked it as much as any romcom I’ve seen in a while, very very funny. Love all the super-awkward sex! 
(…the three-and-half way - I knew I had seen “Steve” elsewhere. Sue’s not-gay but gay boyfriend from “The Middle!!!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw it at of all places a United Airlines flight yesterday. As far as I could tell it was shown uncut, which alone is amazing.  It diverted me through a couple hours of the flight. Unrealistic, yes, but also amusing and a couple times laugh out loud funny. I loved the chatter amongst the people in the conference room, especially the guy who kept adding "and bi" the ignored group. A bit was stereotypical tooth hurting, the butch lesbians called in to fight, for example. And then ending all a bit to saccharine, but then it is a romcom, after all, and a bit of eye candy never hurts.

I think what hasn't been mentioned and is likely important - is the trailer.

People here seem to like the film / or don't like the film but that's AFTER they pay their ticket price.

I think the more important component to poor sales was the trailer which in my opinion was pretty cringe-worthy. My wife loves a good rom-com and we sit and watch together all the time. Adding a few gay jokes and attractive men isn't turning either of us away. But that trailer was so painful to suffer  we never even considered watching more. 

Edited by pubic_assistance

On 10/21/2022 at 2:29 PM, scrtlovr said:

I agree. Ironically, the movie’s main problem is Billy Eichner himself. He lacks the acting chops to be the romantic lead and his character’s overall tone is too bitter to make him likable at all. This becomes painfully evident in the two long, endless monologues he wrote to talk about himself. Even though I am a big fan of Billy and I love his work on TV, I could not get myself to care about him or their relationship. Also, the rest of the characters were  irrelevant, mere props for his jokes or issues with love and intimacy. Several actors were pretty good and showed potential but they were not given a chance. It would’ve made a big difference if at least two of the secondary characters would’ve been given a meaningful story line and more on screen  time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it on Peacock last night. Didn't laugh once, didn't see ANY chemistry between the lead characters, therefore I didn't really care if they got together at the end or not. I found Billy Eichner's character too serious & obnoxious, not sure why anyone would want a relationship with him. Ugh, now I'll have to find something else to watch to cleanse my palate. Maybe the next movie will get it righter. 🙂

On 10/19/2022 at 7:06 PM, EastCoastBtm said:

Stereotypical, NYC-centric, Instagays using overused gay tropes to be funny. 

Will I watch it, probably.  Will I laugh, probably.  Will I be yet again be disappointed that our ability to tell a meaningful story about the lives of our community be once again limited to NYC, Los Angeles, and San Francisco where all the guys are muscular, hairless, perfect, having group sex and fabulous brunches the next day.... absolutely.

I'm more curious about Firebird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_(2021_film)#:~:text=Set in the Soviet Air,private and a fighter pilot.&text=Firebird had its world premiere,Festival on 17 March 2021.

Firebird was a good movie.  There are so many good gay films around that are mostly foreign independent.  U just have to do a little research.  Start with gayforit.eu and search gay cinema.  Before the negative queens start bitching:. U have to sift through a lot of cinematic frogs to find the prince.  It's usually worth it.

Edited by Deadlift1
Added

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 7:19 AM, Peter Eater said:

You’ll notice he just ignores what he cannot answer, which is a very bro thing to do. 🙃

“It’s a Wonderful Life” was also a box-office flop, so a rough start isn’t the end of the world. With good word of mouth and streaming audiences, “Bros” could still make a profit - and box office is not the only gauge of merit in a Marvel-mad movie world. 

I saw it this week when I was surprised to find it on Amazon prime.

i agree that most people will see this movie outside of the theater - the studio will then make up its capital outlay and turn a profit.  i'm surprised at the marketing budget, and strategy to put so much money into initial marketing.

Edited by Samfoslom

• 1 month later...

Watched it on Amazon Prime this weekend.  Bottom line:  Not bad but not great.

1.  Luke Macfarlane is gorgeous and not a bad actor, although I don't agree with the comment by critic Alonso Duralde that this film showed his versatility.  He certainly showed a breadth that his Hallmark movies did not but not to the point of demonstrating real versatility.

2.  I agree with the comments above and from the critics that Billy Eichner was the main problem.  His character spent too much time lecturing the screen with everything Billy wanted to say to all but the most gay-friendly straight people and especially to the homophobes.  A rom com is just not the best platform for so much lecturing.  It just didn't fit with a story in which neither of the main characters had faced any real difficulties in their family life or careers or any other aspect of their lives because they were gay.

3.  Some of the script lines about gay sex were just in-your-face gratuitous, crude and cringe-worthy (like Billy Eichner's character's discussion of the details of his anal sex with Macfarlane's character) and could easily have been predicted to have seriously hurt word-of-mouth among straight people, although the lines by the bald guy about his sex with the older guy were fall on the floor funny.

Ok...so after a few endorsements here I decided to check out "Bros". 

Just dreadful.

We couldn't make it past the first half hour.

So camp I was embarrassed for the actors who were essentially performing the equivalent of black face. 

It's shocking to me that in 2023 you can't write for a gay character without relying on the same old cliche tropes.