Covid Vaccine Boosters are Here to Stay

lonely_john
This topic is 901 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Israel experiencing a sharp surge of new cases despite having the most vaccinated population in the world.

Same here in British Columbia, Canada, where the cases are being seen mostly in Antivaxxers.

The US has authorized (not sure if recommending boosters) but it seems we will go with the trend.

The experts appearing on the news say that more likely there will be the need for regular boosters.

So, until we find a better solution, it looks like boosters are here to stay. Those against will risk death.

They have the highest proportion of eligible people vaccinated.  But due to their young population they do not have the highest percentage of population vaccinated. Jury is still out on whether boosters will be needed forever until we can vaccinate the under-12 population.

1 hour ago, sniper said:

They have the highest proportion of eligible people vaccinated.  But due to their young population they do not have the highest percentage of population vaccinated. Jury is still out on whether boosters will be needed forever until we can vaccinate the under-12 population.

Unfortunately the COVID vaccine will follow the path of the flu vaccine and becoming an annual ritual. With much of the world unvaccinated and active spreading the virus, new strains will constantly emerging and make annual boosters a necessity.

2 hours ago, lonely_john said:

Israel experiencing a sharp surge of new cases despite having the most vaccinated population in the world.

Same here in British Columbia, Canada, where the cases are being seen mostly in Antivaxxers.

The US has authorized (not sure if recommending boosters) but it seems we will go with the trend.

The experts appearing on the news say that more likely there will be the need for regular boosters.

So, until we find a better solution, it looks like boosters are here to stay. Those against will risk death.

Not an expert here, but as far as I know even if you are vaccinated you can still get COVID, the only advantage is that most likely it will be mild, you won´t need to go to the hospital and you won´t die.

1 hour ago, NJF said:

Unfortunately the COVID vaccine will follow the path of the flu vaccine and becoming an annual ritual. With much of the world unvaccinated and active spreading the virus, new strains will constantly emerging and make annual boosters a necessity.

Yes, this is what I think it's going to happen. Unfortunately, governments can't make vaccines mandatory, can they?

1 hour ago, 7829V said:

Not an expert here, but as far as I know even if you are vaccinated you can still get COVID, the only advantage is that most likely it will be mild, you won´t need to go to the hospital and you won´t die.

This really made me think of that conspiracy theory about Covid being the result of an experiment that went out of control, covered by China, and now we are seeing the consequences. Let's hope that antivaxxers don't create a vaccine resistant variant that will fuck us all up.

14 hours ago, glutes said:

We are going to need boosters on a on-going basis for the foreseeable future.

Just my hunch, that's why there are blank spots on my vcxx card. They know there would be additional jabs.

There are four spots. The "authority" who filled out mine after my second Pfizer dose had huge ass handwriting and decided to use two of the four lines for her entry. So, only one little line left on mine.  Does that mean after one more booster, I'd hafta start over with a new, fancy vax card? 😜 

15 hours ago, 7829V said:

Just a few advantages. Nothing to write home about, right? 😉

Edited by HotWhiteThirties

8 months is the current standard unless you are immunosuppressed in which case you should get a third shot immediately. I had my third shot and ran a fever all night and body aches but better to have a fever for a day and body aches than to end up on a ventilator or worse.  The idiots who are not getting vaccinated deserve whatever happens to them, IMHO.

I hate to ask this, but I must.

Is the ongoing treatment for COVID more profitable for Pharma than the preventative inoculations?

Would that profit motive have any benefits directly or indirectly to Public Health policy makers ? or elected Representatives who have been slow to support masking, vaccines, or are vocal about stalling booster shots? 

Treatments for polio took a financial hit when the entire population was vaxxed…

As the virus morphs more, additional treatments will emerge and be essential meds. 
I cannot imagine how any public official can still be talking smack about the vaccines or boosters, unless they are amoral craven pigs.

I've heard that the booster shot is exactly the same as the first two shots.  Are they planning to modify it to deal with the delta variant, or is that not necessary?  The flu vaccine changes every year.  At some point, I have to think that they'll change the Covid vaccine as well.

14 hours ago, BSR said:

I've heard that the booster shot is exactly the same as the first two shots.  Are they planning to modify it to deal with the delta variant, or is that not necessary?  The flu vaccine changes every year.  At some point, I have to think that they'll change the Covid vaccine as well.

From what I've read (and heard), a bit of both. The immediate reason for boosters has been a decline in efficacy of the vaccines in vaccinated people over time, which has been noted in Israel. Longer term, it's not clear how much modification is needed as some of the vaccines rely on characteristics of the virus that haven't changed. Australia has contracts with one of the mRNA vaccine companies for a modified version for next year, so there must be some scope for tweaks to make them more effective.

Edited by mike carey

On 8/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, jeezifonly said:

I hate to ask this, but I must.

Is the ongoing treatment for COVID more profitable for Pharma than the preventative inoculations?

Would that profit motive have any benefits directly or indirectly to Public Health policy makers ? or elected Representatives who have been slow to support masking, vaccines, or are vocal about stalling booster shots? 

Treatments for polio took a financial hit when the entire population was vaxxed…

As the virus morphs more, additional treatments will emerge and be essential meds. 
I cannot imagine how any public official can still be talking smack about the vaccines or boosters, unless they are amoral craven pigs.

The system as a whole is definitely not making more money because of COVID. Its reducing the number of chemo treatments and all manner of elective procedures that net a lot more money than this pne disease. 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, Deadlift1 said:

NYC teachers mandatory vaccination just announced.  NJ and many more to follow.

Sadly, I don't see that happening here in FL.

Some of my co-teachers have refused to get vaccinated, and some of them don't wear masks. Fewer than half of our students wear masks throughout the day. In our first 11 days, our school has sent out robocalls on 7 evenings informing families of new positive cases in our school. Two teachers that I work with closely are vaccinated but recently tested positive.