Prince Philip Is Dead

DR FREUD
This topic is 1112 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From watching parts of the funeral today, I thought Peter Phillips who walked between Prince William & Harry in the procession, was quite goodlooking too.

The grandson of Princess Margaret, Arthur Chatto, has a great body and there are shirtless photos of him on the web.

I did wind up catching the funeral streamed on ITV. Even in its greatly reduced circumstances (Philip’s funeral plan originally had 800 at the service), it was well done, and rather poignant.

Sadly, I’ve been to a number of funerals during the pandemic (none from Covid tho), and while there are rules/restrictions in place, they’re not as severe - or as severely enforced - as they appear to be in the UK. Then again, none of the funerals I attended were broadcast worldwide either.

I honestly wonder if many would have really objected had say Charles sat with his mother. With many restrictions eased from last Monday, there was talk that funeral restrictions would also be updated to allow more to attend - especially in light of Philip’s death on the Friday. It wouldn’t surprise me if QEII was approached, and kiboshed the idea - I think she would have wanted to demonstrate that they are in the same boat as the rest of the UK, especially those who have had to organise funerals for family with limited mourners.

As pointed out, QEII has been a bit hunched over, like most over 80, for some years now. It’s not grief, its just age.

Yes, Andrew was a bit of a dish back when he was younger. Very strong Windsor genes in him. I remember hearing 2 rumors about him - that he could plow a field naked (ie; he was very well hung), and that the speculation about Edward was a misdirection by the Palace to keep the scrutiny off Andrew’s exploits with both sexes. Who knows if either or both have any grain of truth ??‍♂️

Good call on no military uniforms, just morning suits for the services. It would have been awkward with Harry and Andrew as they’ve both given up public life, and it saved all from the site of Anne in her man-tailored uniform.

I do think Peter is a very good looking man - possibly the best looking of the grandchildren. Though, having said that, William has grown into his looks sans hair IMO. James is still too young, so we’ll see as he grows up how he fares.

As an aside, I don’t know if it was shown on US coverage, but ITV had the camera following the family as they walked back to the castle after the services. While there was no mic sound on the BRF, when Philip’s German nephews were in the frame, mic was suddenly on, and you heard them chatting away in German as they walked. I suspect that had to be purposeful.

I did wind up catching the funeral streamed on ITV. Even in its greatly reduced circumstances (Philip’s funeral plan originally had 800 at the service), it was well done, and rather poignant.

Sadly, I’ve been to a number of funerals during the pandemic (none from Covid tho), and while there are rules/restrictions in place, they’re not as severe - or as severely enforced - as they appear to be in the UK. Then again, none of the funerals I attended were broadcast worldwide either.

I honestly wonder if many would have really objected had say Charles sat with his mother. With many restrictions eased from last Monday, there was talk that funeral restrictions would also be updated to allow more to attend - especially in light of Philip’s death on the Friday. It wouldn’t surprise me if QEII was approached, and kiboshed the idea - I think she would have wanted to demonstrate that they are in the same boat as the rest of the UK, especially those who have had to organise funerals for family with limited mourners.

As pointed out, QEII has been a bit hunched over, like most over 80, for some years now. It’s not grief, its just age.

Yes, Andrew was a bit of a dish back when he was younger. Very strong Windsor genes in him. I remember hearing 2 rumors about him - that he could plow a field naked (ie; he was very well hung), and that the speculation about Edward was a misdirection by the Palace to keep the scrutiny off Andrew’s exploits with both sexes. Who knows if either or both have any grain of truth ??‍♂️

Good call on no military uniforms, just morning suits for the services. It would have been awkward with Harry and Andrew as they’ve both given up public life, and it saved all from the site of Anne in her man-tailored uniform.

I do think Peter is a very good looking man - possibly the best looking of the grandchildren. Though, having said that, William has grown into his looks sans hair IMO. James is still too young, so we’ll see as he grows up how he fares.

As an aside, I don’t know if it was shown on US coverage, but ITV had the camera following the family as they walked back to the castle after the services. While there was no mic sound on the BRF, when Philip’s German nephews were in the frame, mic was suddenly on, and you heard them chatting away in German as they walked. I suspect that had to be purposeful.

I am puzzled by your reference to the Windsor genes being strongly reflected in Prince Andrew. I’ve always thought the Windsor genes were not particularly desirable and those branches of the Royal family that married commoners fared better in their offspring.

Historically there was a lot of intermarriage in the British Royal family and it produced unfortunate results. Like Edward VIII. I came across a document a few weeks ago and it was written in 1936 shortly after he had become king. A caption underneath his photo tried to convey the thought that he had a determined look fitting for the role he had just assumed. When you looked at his facial features, all you saw was the irresolute weakness of a man-child staring out from the page.

In my view, Charles is not much better. Many of us in Canada are dreading the day he becomes king.

Would have been a cute couple, but Lord Mountbatten and Prince Philip wouldn't have approved

One of the Queen's uncles -father of Prince Michael was reported to swing both ways. I think in those days sexuality was far more fluid. You married and had kids no matter what and then always had fun on the side-with men or women.

For a scaled back funeral I thought it was very impressive and beautifully done. Say what you want about the Brits, they do pomp better than any other country. I wouldn’t mind having one of those uniforms. The hymn Jerusalem always chokes me up for some reason.

For a scaled back funeral I thought it was very impressive and beautifully done. Say what you want about the Brits, they do pomp better than any other country. I wouldn’t mind having one of those uniforms. The hymn Jerusalem always chokes me up for some reason.

Jerusalem the hymn also gets me going. Interesting they played it as the Anglican Church removed it from their hymn book a few years back. And yet when I go to funerals of friends who are Anglican, they invariably choose it to be played.

I doubt it. She has always looked comfortable in a crowd, including her family affairs.

I think she was placed in a "bubble" to ensure "God Save the Queen" would have a better chance of working.

And she didn't want Charles' wife to sit alone. Camilla

Perhaps Elizabeth preferred to sit alone.

I doubt it. She has always looked comfortable in a crowd, including her family affairs.

I think she was placed in a "bubble" to ensure "God Save the Queen" would have a better chance of working.

And she didn't want Charles' wife to sit alone. Camilla

I doubt it's preference, so sitting her alone has to be either image or safety. I have to believe the entire Royal Family has been vaccinated by now (I guess it's possible not, but I'd sure be surprised). So image, then. The monarch bearing her solemn grief in dignity? Setting a Covid example for the rest of the nation? Dunno. It was wierd, though. I hope that out of public view she's able to find some comfort in family. I don't care how stoic she is or how long she had to get used to the idea of his passing, losing a husband of 73 years has to hurt horribly.

The funeral for Prince Phillip was beautifully done. Just the right amount of military fanfare and the ceremony was a liturgical masterpiece--music, black vestments et al. I loved how one news commentator stated, "By Prince Phillip's request, there will be no sermon, no eulogy and no prayers read by family members. It will be strictly by the book." It reminded me a bit of John F. Kennedy's Requiem low mass--the same for prince or pauper!

The funeral for Prince Phillip was beautifully done. Just the right amount of military fanfare and the ceremony was a liturgical masterpiece--music, black vestments et al. I loved how one news commentator stated, "By Prince Phillip's request, there will be no sermon, no eulogy and no prayers read by family members. It will be strictly by the book." It reminded me a bit of John F. Kennedy's Requiem low mass--the same for prince or pauper!

I also think the funeral was pitched with just the right amount of solemnity and pageantry kept to a low key. After all, Prince Philip. besides being the father of the future king, had no real role other than as a helpmeet to the Queen.

He is not part of the royal line of descent, since that passes through Elizabeth from her father to her children. He only became prince 10 years after their marriage. Still, he fulfilled his role admirably, better than Charles has managed to do.

I doubt it's preference, so sitting her alone has to be either image or safety. I have to believe the entire Royal Family has been vaccinated by now (I guess it's possible not, but I'd sure be surprised). So image, then. The monarch bearing her solemn grief in dignity? Setting a Covid example for the rest of the nation? Dunno. It was wierd, though. I hope that out of public view she's able to find some comfort in family. I don't care how stoic she is or how long she had to get used to the idea of his passing, losing a husband of 73 years has to hurt horribly.

Prince Philip was almost one hundred years OLD She had time to prepare for his death, I believe

I also think the funeral was pitched with just the right amount of solemnity and pageantry kept to a low key. After all, Prince Philip. besides being the father of the future king, had no real role other than as a helpmeet to the Queen.

He is not part of the royal line of descent, since that passes through Elizabeth from her father to her children. He only became prince 10 years after their marriage. Still, he fulfilled his role admirably, better than Charles has managed to do.

Elizabeth and Phillip were quite young when she became queen, and folks remember her family's bravery during the second world war.

Charles is in very, very late middle age.

Elizabeth and Phillip were quite young when she became queen, and folks remember her family's bravery during the second world war.

Charles is in very, very late middle age.

Thank you for saying that. Charles and I are less than a year apart in age and I thought I had slipped over to old age, not still very, very late middle age. You have made my day!

Unless you meant that Charles would be in old age in a few months. LOL