Prince Philip Is Dead

DR FREUD
This topic is 1099 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He spent weeks in two London hospitals and had an undisclosed type of heart surgery while there, then was released and went back to Windsor Castle. He went to the hospital in mid-February, the Harry-Meghan-Oprah interview was in early March, and Philip was released in mid-March. I suspect he didn't know much about the interview because he probably wasn't told much about it, in consideration for his health and age. It's been reported that Philip wasn't happy about Megxit and was baffled by and somewhat disappointed with his grandson, Prince Harry. Prince Philip's funeral will be an occasion for Harry and Meghan to be in the same space with William, Catherine, Charles, Camilla, and the Queen, but I doubt Philip's passing will make much difference to either side in this family quarrel; one side feels persecuted and the other feels betrayed.

He spent weeks in two London hospitals and had an undisclosed type of heart surgery while there, then was released and went back to Windsor Castle. He went to the hospital in mid-February, the Harry-Meghan-Oprah interview was in early March, and Philip was released in mid-March. I suspect he didn't know much about the interview because he probably wasn't told much about it, in consideration for his health and age. It's been reported that Philip wasn't happy about Megxit and was baffled by and somewhat disappointed with his grandson, Prince Harry. Prince Philip's funeral will be an occasion for Harry and Meghan to be in the same space with William, Catherine, Charles, Camilla, and the Queen, but I doubt Philip's passing will make much difference to either side in this family quarrel; one side feels persecuted and the other feels betrayed.

Still, it is opportunity to come together

yes, and he was also slim all his life! Always active!

Agreed!

One thing that probably helped is he gave up smoking on the day he married Elizabeth in his mid-20s. I recall from watching the Crown that his mother (Princess Alice who later became a nun) was a chain smoker and died at age 84. Also from watching the Crown, Elizabeth's father died at a young age in his mid-50s most likely due to his smoking habit. May he rest in peace.

I feel much sadness for her Majesty, not only does she have the burden of ruling Britannia, but she has a dysfunctional family to restore and has to do it on her own without her life partner

I suppose she could step down and let Charles step into the role...

The Queen has lost her life's love and her mate of over 70 years. It must hurt horribly, and I have dreaded this day and the hurt it would bring her.

But I would submit she is not and will not be devastated by the loss. From what I have read of her, and what I know of the trials and losses she has had to bear, she is, at least, two things: resilient and pragmatic. No one married to a man of 99 hasn't come to terms with with his inevitable, and probably increasingly imminent, death. She knew it would come, and more so sooner than later, I suspect. A month long stay in hospitals might have been a sign.

And I think the only thing she was more devoted to than Philip was Duty. She will honor that duty to her last breath. Her pragmatic side will give to Charles and William, greater shares in the "being seen" side of the job, as concessions to age and the challenges to her mobility. In fact, that's already happened. But she will go on fulfilling the oath she made on her 21st birthday, "I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service."

Plus - and said only with great reverence and respect - she's a tough old broad, one with a steely determination covered in matching hat and coat. She'll be fine because she can see no alternative.

Agreed!

One thing that probably helped is he gave up smoking on the day he married Elizabeth in his mid-20s. I recall from watching the Crown that his mother (Princess Alice who later became a nun) was a chain smoker and died at age 84. Also from watching the Crown, Elizabeth's father died at a young age in his mid-50s most likely due to his smoking habit. May he rest in peace.

I think the Queen's longevity comes from her mother's side of the family. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, lived to 101.

The Queen's father, grandfather and great grandfather all died much younger.

The Queen's four children are all lucky to have inherited such genes but genes alone do not guarantee a long life.

I doubt that Megan will attend. Isn't she heavily pregnant?