Rooms by the hour?

rustyrex
This topic is 732 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone has rented a hotel room by the hour. I’m visiting family and of course I’m not exactly bringing home my little hobby. I don’t need the room for the night.....just an hour maybe 2. I understand for the most part that I would probably be paying for the night but if I only use the room for 2 hours and hand in the keys afterward, does the hotel make note of it or do they say anything? Would I be put on the naughty list? I’m just curious....and serious about considering trying it out.

Any information helps!

The closest I've got to renting hotels by the hour is a day rate rental. Dayuse is an app that offers rentals for several hours at a time. And more recently hotels themselves have begun offering day rates as a way to boost occupancy during the downturn resulting from the pandemic. Yesterday my husband an I rented a room for day use at the new Grand Hyatt at the SFO so we could escape construction that we've been having at our house, and it was a nice break. We booked it directly through the Hyatt website, so could accrue points and all that stuff. The day stay rate also included discounts on food and beverage, and half off the parking.

But even if you book for the night and only use the room for a couple of hours, the hotel will not care. Hotel management fully understands what people use hotel rooms for, and I'm guessing a percentage of guests do not actually stay the night. If you're shy about checking out before nightfall, in most instances you can just leave the key card in the room and slip out. They will already have your credit card on file, so will just close out the bill in the morning and email you the receipt. I've done this loads of times and never had an issue.

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone has rented a hotel room by the hour. I’m visiting family and of course I’m not exactly bringing home my little hobby. I don’t need the room for the night.....just an hour maybe 2. I understand for the most part that I would probably be paying for the night but if I only use the room for 2 hours and hand in the keys afterward, does the hotel make note of it or do they say anything? Would I be put on the naughty list? I’m just curious....and serious about considering trying it out.

Any information helps!

Some info in this thread where others and myself mention the DayUse app, some other recommendations in the thread as well.

Hey All,

Any information helps!

First of all where will you be visiting family?

Do you have a specific membership in a hotel you want to use to add a night to your account?

You can always bid on priceline/hotwire, get a hotel, check in, leave the room an hour later, DON'T leave the "do not disturb sign" at the door and call the next morning to say you already checked out and couldn't stop by the front desk.

As long as you don't break anything you won't be on the naughty list.

In this day and age hotels will love and welcome your business.

Some info in this thread where others and myself mention the DayUse app, some other recommendations in the thread as well.

That WOULD definitively put you on your CC naughty list but I'm sure you're not running for SCJ... therefore who cares!

I'm just saying this because of @rustyrex is concerned about privacy.

A friend of mine used that app and all of the sudden he started getting emails with naughty suggestions, I guess that app likes to share/sell information about clients who might be interested in similar things. Is he still in the naughty list?

• 1 year later...

I discovered the Day Use app when I moved to Hong Kong last summer, and I have used it regularly with great success. One of its best features -at least here- is the free cancellation policy, even last minute, which gives you great flexibility should plans change. I pay  cash when checking in, and I leave the card key in the room, so no need to check out Given the lack of tourists because of the tough covid entry restrictions, I guess hotels in Hong Kong are quite desperate to rent their rooms. I am a happy camper. 

Edited by liubit

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 6:34 AM, sniper said:

Most hotels these days don't require you to "check out" - you can just leave. I wouldn't worry about it.

This. Just book for one night and leave when you're done. There's no need to return the plastic key cards. Unless it's a tiny hotel, no one will notice when you leave unless you stay past check out time.