What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

hand crank phones and party lines. (we had a neighbor who still had both so I actually know how to dial on the hand crank!)

Despite being born in 1964, I do not remember having a TV antenna. Our rural mountain area had one of the earliest cable systems. Those without cable could only get one station. With 1964 cable we could get five stations - WFBG Altoona CBS, WJAC Johnstown NBC, WPSX Phillipsburg/State College PBS and the mystery channel, which could be KDKA or WPGH or WQED from Pittsburgh... If there was something you wanted to see you could call the cable company and if nobody had made a request for that time already they would play what you requested. In 1979 the system grew to twelve stations and, if you paid for a box, ESPN, Headline News (Westinghouse), ESPN, TBS and the Movie Channel.

Edited by CJK

When I was in middle school around 1979-1980, my mom would sometimes hand me a $20 bill to walk to the nearest convenience store to buy two CARTONS of cigarettes (not two packs!).  Since the nearest store was almost a mile away, my reward was that I could use the change to buy a treat...a slice of pizza and a fountain drink was less than a buck at the time.  There would still be at least 7 or 8 dollars left after the cigarettes and snack, which I would sadly but dutifully remit to my mom when I got home.

Oh, and the reason she didn't just drive to the store was that my dad never allowed her to have a driver's license!

10 hours ago, Lucky said:

Reports don't advise against it unless you are allergic to the ingredients. (At least I didn't find any.)

The same is true of bar soap!

Yes, there are cautions for bar soaps, as well.  It appears to be a personal choice of lesser of two evils.

I have opted for the safer (according to some) bar soaps, but having a touch of Scrooge, I will continue to occasionally use from my supply of bodywash until it's gone (being careful not to use it on my face).

Why You Should Make the Switch from Body Wash to Soap - Because Health

Surprising Risks of Antibacterial Body Wash: Chemicals and Alternatives (drlamcoaching.com)

17 hours ago, sync said:

I also use bodywash, but sparingly.  I've read quite a few reports that advise against it.

Most contain detergent instead of soap, so they might be harder on the skin.   If the label says "surfactant," that is another word for detergent.

I  spent my early childhood in a small town that was pretty old-fashioned - I remember when Main Street was paved with red brick.  I also remember when the workers from the Public Works department or the utilities would do an excavation, they would leave it open overnight with wood barricades that looked like sawhorses and they would put oil lamps around it for warning lights that gave off a really sooty black smoke.

We had a milkman in Oakland deliver milk well into the 1980s. I think my godmother in Beverly Hills had a milkman deliver her milk into the 1990s!!

On 5/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Lucky said:

Gosh, @njgardendude you are a youngster! I began smoking at the age of 12 and paid 17 cents for a pack of Camels. Coke in a bottle was a nickel, the movie theater matinee a dime. Even a haircut for a boy was a dime.

A cigarette vending machine at a restaurant my family frequented sold cigarettes for $0.20/pack. There was one brand that was only $0.19/pack but the machine could not charge two different prices, so the less expensive brand  had a penny tucked between the pack wrapper and the cellophane covering.

@shadeheffashade, I'm guessing that you're remembering th 3.5" floppies that came in a hard case with a sliding metal door.  Before those, there were 5 1/4 inch floppies that had a soft plastic case.  That almost seems like the recent past.  The first ones I remember were the ones my dad used with a home built 8080 computer in the late 70s and early 80s.  They were 8 inches in diameter and came in a soft plastic case just like the later 5 1/4 inch format.  If I remember correctly, they held a whopping 80K of data.

Nobody remembers them.  But then again, who wants anything 8 inches and floppy....

6 minutes ago, njgardendude said:

@shadeheffashade, I'm guessing that you're remembering th 3.5" floppies that came in a hard case with a sliding metal door.  Before those, there were 5 1/4 inch floppies that had a soft plastic case.  That almost seems like the recent past.  The first ones I remember were the ones my dad used with a home built 8080 computer in the late 70s and early 80s.  They were 8 inches in diameter and came in a soft plastic case just like the later 5 1/4 inch format.  If I remember correctly, they held a whopping 80K of data.

Nobody remembers them.  But then again, who wants anything 8 inches and floppy....

Wendy's registers used these until the mid 90's, LOL

I remember using Teletypes when I was in high school. The passwords for the accounts for the various high schools were not too clever. For Oakland High it was Oakland, for McClymonds High School it was McClymonds, for Oakland Technical High School it was Technical, and so on. 

Model ASR33 Teletype - Trammell Hudson's Projects

On 5/18/2022 at 12:09 AM, Unicorn said:

I remember using Teletypes when I was in high school.

we had one of these in sixth grade. You typed out your input on either a ribbon, which i think is on the left the pic, or on punch cards. You dialed a rotary phone (we did not get push button phone in our town until the next year) and listened for the beeps, then rested the phone receiver in a foam rubber cradle and ran your tapes or cards. The result came back and you disconnected so as to not waste computer time. 

There were five of the units in the district; one in the high school three in the junior highs and the one in our classroom. We took a field trip to the VoTech to see the actual computer. It filled a pretty good size room.

Some kids at the VoTech tried to sell us sixth graders quaaludes, so there is a second memory of something I remember - when quaaludes were the drug of choice!

Edited by CJK