Please, please, please STAY HOME - that massage is STILL not worth your life

big dale
This topic is 1057 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Another point often overlooked is that with the two vaccines, Pfizer and Moderna, it is not known yet whether they prevent transmission of the virus even if they stop the infection from resulting in the disease COVID?

The new one now being distributed, AstraZeneca, has shown in trials that it is up to 67 percent effective against transmission of the virus from an asymptomatic vaccinated person.

It follows that even vaccinated people still need to wash their hands, wear masks and social distance, n’est ce pas?

Or have I got that all wrong?

Yes, regardless of vaccination status everyone should still take all relevant precautions until it is determined by public health authority in their jurisdiction that it is safe for the general population to discontinue practicing disease control measure.

It is exceeding difficult and expensive to conduct a transmission study in the real world. Researchers would have to collaborate with public health investigators to contract trace all positive cases on both unvaccinated and vaccinated arms in order to make a valid comparison and determine the effectiveness of vaccines against disease transmission. The fact that some people are asymptomatic also doesn't help making these studies any easier to conduct. These studies are necessary and there are probably many that are ongoing, but it may take a while before we have enough data to inform public health decisions.

Just to steer the conversation away from the infighting for just a bit.

Good news regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine. So far they’ve said it’s almost 66% effective in preventing transmission after being vaccinated. Hopefully Pfizer and Moderna are the same or similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to steer the conversation away from the infighting for just a bit.

Good news regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine. So far they’ve said it’s almost 66% effective in preventing transmission after being vaccinated. Hopefully Pfizer and Moderna are the same or similar.

It does appear that the Pfizer vaccine is 89.4 percent effective at preventing COVID infections. This is according to an Israeli study.

Just adding a side note: I see quite some masseurs are holding off out-calls because of COVID, which seems like an odd choice for me. If a client is willing to travel to them for a massage, then wouldn’t that indicate that person would be willing to visit others for whatever reason? Wouldn’t clients who prefer to stay home pose a lesser risk? Just saying...

It does appear that the Pfizer vaccine is 89.4 percent effective at preventing COVID infections. This is according to an Israeli study.

Kero, I wasn’t referring to the efficacy of the vaccine itself but the effectiveness of preventing spread after you’ve been vaccinated.

To date the experts say they don’t have data on Moderna and Pfizer regarding whether you can still transmit the virus after being vaccinated. That question seems to be up in the air.

Kero, I wasn’t referring to the efficacy of the vaccine itself but the effectiveness of preventing spread after you’ve been vaccinated.

To date the experts say they don’t have data on Moderna and Pfizer regarding whether you can still transmit the virus after being vaccinated. That question seems to be up in the air.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but that is actually what the Israeli study shows. The vaccine prevents COVID infection and therefore prevents the spread of the infection to others.

First paragraph of article, "The Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine appeared to stop the vast majority of recipients in Israel becoming infected, providing the first real-world indication that the immunization will curb transmission of the coronavirus."

Forth paragraph, "If confirmed, the early results on lab-tested infections are encouraging because they indicate the vaccine may also prevent asymptomatic carriers from spreading the virus that causes Covid-19. That’s not been clear because the clinical trials that tested the safety and efficacy of vaccines focused on the ability to stop symptomatic infections."

It's one study of course and the article cautions against generalizing too much from it. But at least some preliminary studies do show that at least the Pfizer vaccine not only prevents people from getting sick, but also getting infected and transmitting the virus to others. Since the Modera vaccine is very similar to the Pfizer vaccine, you probably could assume the same holds true for that one, though of course it hasn't been studied specifically.

I want to express thanks to the admins of the site who have not locked down or deleted this thread. I know that not everyone agrees with my viewpoint, I have received a bunch of hate notes, someone tried to dox me (LOL), and a few guys had enough guts to message their opposing viewpoints on the thread. Regardless of whether we agree or not, I am grateful this forum exists and we can have discussions that are meaningful and productive. It serves as a resource, and the admins have shown that they understand that purpose. So- thanks for this safe space to have these kind of chats, as well as a place to find out which hot masseur gives the best HE. LOL, again.

Was it a chair massage in an outdoor space? That seems pretty safe, TBH.

it was a chair massage outdoors, yes.

thanks. I'm hoping it was safe, too. I don't think I would have done it had it not been outdoors.

the HE got us some stares but I think the gawkers were just jealous....(KIDDING!) ?

and I walked away feeling like a different man

I want to express thanks to the admins of the site who have not locked down or deleted this thread. I know that not everyone agrees with my viewpoint, I have received a bunch of hate notes, someone tried to dox me (LOL), and a few guys had enough guts to message their opposing viewpoints on the thread. Regardless of whether we agree or not, I am grateful this forum exists and we can have discussions that are meaningful and productive. It serves as a resource, and the admins have shown that they understand that purpose. So- thanks for this safe space to have these kind of chats, as well as a place to find out which hot masseur gives the best HE. LOL, again.

even IF people don't agree with your stance so, what?

They should just keep scrolling; except for my park chair massage I've been super careful.

And thanks again for your post. I appreciate it.

Edited by starman05

even IF people don't agree with your stance so, what?

They should just keep scrolling; except for my park chair massage I've been super careful.

And thanks again for your post. I appreciate it.

Trust me, I don't pay any mind to the COVIDiots out there. I just wanted to contextualize that this was a thread that caused controversy and I appreciate the admins allowing a brave discussion.

Just wanted to add that the efficacy of the vaccines has been shown to be geographically dependent, probably because variants in circulation are different in different parts of the world. As for SoCal, I think some of us have heard of B.1.427/B.1.429 which seem to be taking over the whole SoCal, with just a few cases last fall but >50% of all cases now in LA. No evidence yet whether they cause more severe disease or more transmissible or whether they might have been the cause of the surge we suffered earlier, but a preprint that's coming out next week will show that sera from fully vaccinated individuals (mostly mRNA vaccines I think) are about 50% less effective in neutralizing these B.1.429. The bottom line is that we don't know what's really going around in the community because we could only sequence a tiny proportion of all positive samples. And when so little is known it is always a good idea to stay put, even if you've been vaccinated. I've been fortunate enough to have received 2 doses so I could do my job, but I still won't take a chance.

• 2 months later...

Now that the CDC has recently updated guidelines, based on science and data, for those to not necessarily wear masks indoors and outdoors for persons fully vaccinated two weeks after 2nd shot, anyone contemplating to venture out and getting a massage without masks?

Edited by QTP2T

I'm really happy for all the Americans who can now go maskless without as much concern. We're still not there yet up here in the barrens of Canada. But I got my first Moderna jab this morning, so I'm partway there... though shot #2 may not happen for another 3 months or so. But there seems to be light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.