Better things at higher prices

MidAndy
This topic is 1202 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a number of pieces of tupperwear my mom got for her wedding shower circa 1965, and some old Pyrex mixing bowls from the 30s or 40s that belonged to a great-aunt.

A reminder that the old times were always better.

Nowadays everything EXPIRES or BREAKS ON PURPOSE.

Wild Capitalism, Consumerism, and Planned Obsolescence have us all f*cked.

While we’re talking prices, let’s not forget the effects of inflation. Think back a few years, and you’ll know what I mean. I was horrified, for instance, to learn from a simple Google search that it would take eight of today’s dollars to equal each dollar I earned when I began working.

While we’re talking prices, let’s not forget the effects of inflation. Think back a few years, and you’ll know what I mean. I was horrified, for instance, to learn from a simple Google search that it would take eight of today’s dollars to equal each dollar I earned when I began working.

My first fulltime professional position paid $6800/yr. My parents were quite impressed, because my mother's fulltime salary was $2500/yr. And we were considered middle-class.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luggage, good restaurants, good electronics, good audio equipment, good computers and traveling first class.

Funny that the most recent comment posted when I finally look at this thread mentions audio equipment. It seems like people who care about sound quality are a dying breed, but as someone who has loved listening to music since I was a young child I know what's possible in terms of audio reproduction in the home. One of my retirement goals is to finally live in a space where I can have a dedicated listening room that doesn't contain a lot of other things that negatively impact the listening experience.

Funny that the most recent comment posted when I finally look at this thread mentions audio equipment. It seems like people who care about sound quality are a dying breed, but as someone who has loved listening to music since I was a young child I know what's possible in terms of audio reproduction in the home. One of my retirement goals is to finally live in a space where I can have a dedicated listening room that doesn't contain a lot of other things that negatively impact the listening experience.

If you do, you can get some great acoustic panels and place them in the room. If you don't get the room, get a really high end pair of noise cancelling headphones. They work great when traveling too. Good luck!

Excellent Broadway theater tickets to "Hamilton"

Highly, highly recommended.

I bought tickets for my husbands birthday when it opened in London... he likes to know the soundtrack before going, so we downloaded and listened a few times (actually a few dozen times bordering on looping it non-stop for six months). When the night arrived it was the best theater I've ever seen: the music, the staging, acting singing was riveting... was able to follow the brutally fast dialogue/rap without my brain melting.

• 2 weeks later...