Better things at higher prices

MidAndy
This topic is 1201 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I love Absolut vodka and all its flavours.

I can tell the difference between Absolut vs. Smirnoff, and other cheap brands.

However, when I tried Belvedere and Grey Goose I didn't find anything special about them.

I could only find this blind testing video, which didn't feature Belvedere.

I was glad to see when he initially put Grey Goose behind Absolut.

Here in Ontario Absolut and Smirnoff are priced competitively, and sometimes one goes on sale and then the other sometime later. I consider them equal and will buy whichever is cheaper. Usually only by a dollar.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Ontario Absolut and Smirnoff are priced competitively, and sometimes one goes on sale and then the other sometime later. I consider them equal and will buy whichever is cheaper. Usually only by a dollar.

I know prices can be competitive but I consider Absolut superior to Smirnoff, and even the more expensive Grey Goose.

I don't recall anything special about Belvedere either.

Definitely with you on the Miele. Also love German and Swiss products, so Hansgrohe, Frank, Jaeger-LeCoultre and On sneakers.

The Germans and Swiss both produce superior products over a whole range of goodS. But they are priced accordingly. But they last a very long time so you come out better on the bargain. That’s called value.

I want to also throw dental into the mix... (obviously not just a good dentist, but....) a few years back my dentist recommended switching from normal floss (string or tape) to Philips sonicare airfloss... it was a brilliant recommendation, a number of issues disappeared and haven't returned; I wish someone recommended this (or something like it) years earlier....

typically am pretty cheap on most things, but here are some things I splurge on that may be slightly higher price:

• wagyu beef
  • vacation - I have no qualms splurging on international vacations, those experiences are hard to replicate
    • flights - ever since my first solo vacation travel when I got squeezed by two really heavyset men in a fully-packed British Airways flight en route to Barcelona, I have been getting at least a business class flight when I travel internationally.
    • hotel experience - not too snobby on this, but I have since preferred hotels with dedicated service - like the St. Regis.

So far, I have been lucky in three flights to Australia and back to never have been squeezed like that. .

I agree upgrading is wise though for such very long flights (LAX to Sydney).

I want to also throw dental into the mix... (obviously not just a good dentist, but....) a few years back my dentist recommended switching from normal floss (string or tape) to Philips sonicare airfloss... it was a brilliant recommendation, a number of issues disappeared and haven't returned; I wish someone recommended this (or something like it) years earlier....

I’ll have to ask my dentist about that. I’m blessed with straight teeth that never needed braces but I’ve been getting quarterly cleanings my whole adult life.

So far, I have been lucky in three flights to Australia and back to never have been squeezed like that. .

I agree upgrading is wise though for such very long flights (LAX to Sydney).

yep - my last 2 international travels were to the Maldives and Mauritius, so was definitely grateful for the perk of having space and being able to lie horizontally on long flights...

yep - my last 2 international travels were to the Maldives and Mauritius, so was definitely grateful for the perk of having space and being able to lie horizontally on long flights...

My January 2020 flights to and from New Zealand were the first time I have ever paid cash-money for international business class seats. (I have done so on domestic flights, and first once on a Malaysia-Singapore flight.) And yes, J-class flat beds, whether you've paid for them, had an upgrade or had the fare paid by an employer, are great. Not that they are needed between Auckland and Sydney or Melbourne. My determination years ago that life was too short for economy air travel has waned, and being satisfied with premium economy or taking the risk of a points upgrade from economy have worked their way into my travel planning, as has the idea that for a couple of hours, economy is bearable, but not on a low-cost airline. So far. So, as with most things, at times it is worth paying more for quality on what is functionally the same product or service.

One more... parmesan cheese. I grew up on the dry, crumbly, grated Kraft parmesan in the green cylindrical cardboard container, which not surpringly tasted like cardboard and also smelled like vomit. Now, for me it can only be wedges of Parmesano Reggiano. Call me a cheese snob if you must.

Wasn't that a revelation the first time you tasted the real stuff!

One more... parmesan cheese. I grew up on the dry, crumbly, grated Kraft parmesan in the green cylindrical cardboard container, which not surpringly tasted like cardboard and also smelled like vomit. Now, for me it can only be wedges of Parmesano Reggiano. Call me a cheese snob if you must.

I *just* grated a chunk of it for bolognese this evening! I have a decent Italian deli about 10 blocks from my house.

talk about quality......

don't know how much it cost my parents back in 1966, but I still have a Kodak slide projector which I pull out occasionally/rarely to look at old family slides on carousels!......noisy-ass fan to cool that bright light bulb! (go to 3:01 in the video to hear it!).....this thing is a workhorse.......it's still stored in the original box with a 1966 mailing label.......I'll bet others here remember slide shows as a kid with the family and neighbors......

71mmfxsBGOL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

I never heard of airfloss; just checked Amazon and it looks like it is used with a rinse. I think I’m going to order it and try it out ?

talk about quality......

don't know how much it cost my parents back in 1966, but I still have a Kodak slide projector which I pull out occasionally/rarely to look at old family slides on carousels!......noisy-ass fan to cool that bright light bulb! (go to 3:01 in the video to hear it!).....this thing is a workhorse.......it's still stored in the original box with a 1966 mailing label.......I'll bet others here remember slide shows as a kid with the family and neighbors......

I still have one of these, but I haven't taken it out and used it in years, so I don't know what condition all those old slides are in--I have many trays of them.

talk about quality......

talk about quality......

I remember slides very well. We had a different kind of projector, I think.