? Get your Flu Shot ! ?

orville
This topic is 1207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Continued from above:

Making the choice to get a flu shot is your choice – not the government’s or your insurance company, and it should be based on your doctor’s input following a proper history and exam, and considering your risk of infection and potential exposure to infected individuals. No one should be required – forced – to have a flu shot (something that is being done with health care workers in New York).

I said man AND lady ? Let’s be clear. That was meant to be a metaphor, not actual facts. The metaphor being: the old man and lady I referred to represent a bigger picture: those who don’t have access to health insurance for even basic and routine medical issues for pre-existing conditions. I know it didn’t sound like that, but I forget many people on the forum take things at face value. Versus reading between the lines.

I do however live right next door to an actual older couple, I usually wear masks around them out of politeness, but they often look at me weird and I’ve never seen them wear a mask, ever.

It’s really nothing more to argue about though.

I understand that you eventually saw the need to fix what you said because of the reaction you got. And you decided to do that by editing and deleting your posts (and now giving a silly explanation for the supposedly innocuous content you deleted), as well as by blaming others for not reading a metaphor into your post.

What you said and meant was entirely clear in your original posts. There was no need to read between the lines.

Here's your post from @alageorge's quote:

I call bullshit. I’m tired of this tired philosophy that people who don’t get vaccinated or don’t wear masks, or don’t stay home and rot while bills pile up, are “foolish” and are “endangering” the poor, frail, innocent human population. Give me a break.

Its the involuntary choice that happens when we become human. If someone does not want to not be an “innocent victim” by all means, get vaccinated. Or wear a mask. Or do whatever you need to do.

But don’t belittle, criticize, or shame those who wish to live their lives as chosen. A flu vaccine is nothing more than exposing yourself (Intravenously) to a (dead) virus. So if someone is willing or capable to get the actual virus and deal with (perhaps) mild symptoms (considering not everyone will be equally affected)....is that in itself not a vaccine? We’ve already heard most people with Covid 19 are asymptotic. So to HELL does it matter if the old man/lady down the street who is already dying anyway of something else, gets infected?

Again, this is not putting down vaccinations or condoning anti-vaccers...but I am not advocating any side. In my opinion, force-vaccers are just as bad as anti-vaccers.

if the actual government approves a vaccine and proves its a safe and necessary shot (because hell, we could equally say gay men who dont take prep are foolish and stupid, and should DIE a painful death of AIDS)...then I’ll goddamn fucking, consider it. But so far, a flu shot is simply “optional”. Like I said previously, it doesn’t protect against shit in the long run: there’s sinus infections, colds, weird viruses that doctors can’t name that come with the seasons....a flu shot is nothing more than full coverage car insurance, when Liability and uninsured motorist coverage Will do ? If you’re a shitty driver, yes...get full comp and collision. Me on the other hand, I’ve been driving for 15 years and never had to file a collision claim. But I have had to file a few claims from other idiot drivers ??‍♂️

Edited by thedanNYC

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @Jarrod_Uncut,

I appreciate you always giving your POV but I can't avoid noticing you're overpowering this thread with multiple and repetitive arguments and converting it into a debate when this is not the intention of this thread.

We're not here asking people if they are going to take the Flu Shot or not, we are asking people to TAKE THE FLU SHOT because of the dangerous implications of not doing it in the face of COVID.

So, if you could please refrain from expressing more dissenting opinions about getting vaccinated, everyone would really appreciate it. On the one hand you're not getting sympathy from those who think this is not a choice given the particular COVID situation right now, and on the other hand, you might be negatively influencing others who still don't have full discernment about the right thing to do.

Peace,

@orville.

Edited by orville

I understand that you eventually saw the need to fix what you said because of the reaction you got. And you decided to do that by editing and deleting your posts (and now giving a silly explanation for the supposedly innocuous content you deleted), as well as by blaming others for not reading a metaphor into your post.

What you said and meant was entirely clear in your original posts. There was no need to read between the lines.

Here's your post from @alageorge's quote:

You didn’t properly quote it, but I get what you’re saying. And yes I did say it. I deleted it because I was feeling a certain way at that moment, but now I don’t really care. Why have extra negative ratings on my charts for discussions that’s just not relevant at all ??‍♂️ Sure one could argue: we as sex workers/clients who have sex with multiple partners should be getting flu shots to protect others. But the doctor would say: “dude, just wear a condom if you want to protect others”.

Imagine if I said to my doctor: I get my flu shot, does that mean I am doing the right thing and can comfortably have sex with multiple partners without fear of giving them anything, since I am all about protecting others? He/She would laugh and be like, a flu vaccine only goes so far. Protecting others and ourselves goes so much further than a flu vaccine.

I try to give a different view, but the message is lost if everyone is consistent on choosing 1 viewpoint over others.

Hi @Jarrod_Uncut,

I appreciate you always giving your POV but I can't avoid noticing you're overpowering this thread with multiple and repetitive arguments and converting it into a debate when this is not the intention of this thread.

We're not here asking people if they are going to take the Flu Shot or not, we are asking people to TAKE THE FLU SHOT because of the dangerous implications of not doing it in the face of COVID.

Thankyou for appreciating my point of view. But I still say, asking people to take the flu shot is still giving medical advice. Which is a decision best to be made in a doctors office, not an internet forum.

The better thing to say is, “Consult your doctor about how to best protect yourself against the flu and/or Covid 19”. I know that takes more lines than “Get your flu shot”, but it avoids some of the arguments that have occurred so far, on what could have been just be an innocent, feel good, stay healthy thread.

But then when everyone seems to think getting an injection is the only way to protect yourself, that’s when the doors open to multiple opinions. And disagreements.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

You didn’t properly quote it, but I get what you’re saying. And yes I did say it. I deleted it because I was feeling a certain way at that moment, but now I don’t really care. Why have extra negative ratings on my charts for something that’s just not relevant at all ??‍♂️

I already know I wasted my time arguing this. I try to give a different view, but it’s no point if everyone is consistent on choosing 1 viewpoint over others.

I don't appreciate being accused of misquoting or misconstruing what others say. I copy/pasted your entire post, which @alageorge had quoted himself. So I did quote you appropriately.

Anyway, I do think it's time to let this thread get back on track. So I'm letting this side conversation go.

Edited by thedanNYC

@thedanNYC , have a chill pill ? Or should I say, a chill ? shot ??‍♂️ When I said you didn’t quote it properly, I was referring to you didn’t use the quote function. It wasn’t an accusation, just a mention. For example below:

I don't appreciate being accused of misquoting or misconstruing what others say. I copy/pasted your entire post, which @alageorge had quoted himself. So I did quote you appropriately.

Anyway, I do think it's time to let this thread get back on track. So I'm letting this side conversation go.

See how I quoted what you said...versus copy/paste? So much easier that way, my friend.

I heard on the news yesterday that this winter in Australia, due to travel restrictions/distancing/masks, influenza deaths in Australia went from something like 850 in 2019 to 1 in 2020. Still worth getting the flu shot because if you got both at the same time, you'd be pretty likely to die. But this portends for a light flu season in the northern hemisphere this year.

I think this depends on how many people adhere to distancing and mask wearing. If more states go the Florida death march route, it's not going to be good. I can see the flu season in NY being quite mild.

I think this depends on how many people adhere to distancing and mask wearing. If more states go the Florida death march route, it's not going to be good. I can see the flu season in NY being quite mild.

Quite true. Australia's response was at one extreme, whereas Sweden's was the other. But if most conform to distancing and masks, influenza season may be quite mild.

Just spoke with my favorite client today about this topic. I asked if he had been well and whether he is getting the flu shot.

He told me he took the flu shot before, and got really sick. He’s not quite 30 years old I think. He told me he would not be getting one again. He said the doc explained to him, sometimes your immune system can handle the shot, but it’s no guarantee you won’t still get the ?

He certainly wasn’t convinced to keep doing it. So when Covid comes out with a vaccine, I’m going to do my research. And aren’t we still waiting for the syphilis vaccine? If somebody going to inject me with syphilis, and Covid...atleast buy me a drink first and start off with some foreplay ?

I also reached out to another friend who tested poz for Covid the other week. I was afraid he might be in ICU because I hadn’t heard from him in a few days. He just texted me and said he’s working a wedding and feeling better.

So yeah, let’s stop with the scare tactics and focus on the facts. And FYI, this thread is not groundbreaking news. It’s the same information readily available on any news channel anyway. Hell, Walmart is offering flu shots. Maybe McDonald’s is offering flu shots. Free flu shot with purchase of a Big Mac ? Flu shots are everywhere. It does no good using frightening tactics to convince someone to get something that’s really a matter of personal choice.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

Please dont make the same POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING mistake he's making.

First, I'm a board certified American physician. I do this for a living. So yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Did the writer get a vaccine? Yes, I have NO reason to believe he is being dishonest.

Did the writer get ill? Yes, I have NO reason to believe he is being dishonest.

But he's making what scientists call a Cause and Effect Error.

Many, many thousands of years ago, as we lived in Mother Africa, we heard roosters crowing at EVERY dawn. We therefore thought at that time that the roosters crowing at dawn BROUGHT UP the sun. We now dont think such nonsense as obviously we see now that these bronze age people were making a Cause and Effect Error. Just because one event follows another, doesn't mean the first event caused the second.

Dear readers: his vaccine did NOT in any way, shape, or form cause his illness. Thats nonsense thinking. He got ill, sure, but its a mere coincidence that the illness followed the vaccine. Dont make his tragic mistake & believe such nonsense. THAT mistake could KILL YOU, or OTHERS around you.

I have NO delusions that this man will change his views no matter how strong an argument or proof is shown to him. These are the guys who go to their (literal) grave defending illogical but dearly held beliefs (believe me, I see them professionally all the time!). My point to you is just dont be LIKE him.

My dear brothers, GET your flu shot ASAP. This is NOT the year to get influenza AND Covid-19 at the same time. Such an event could be fatal.

FYI: 2019/2020 flu season killed roughly 22,000 Americans. 370,000 Americans were hospitalized (not visited the ER, hospitalized)!

I"m in total agreement with you, as a healthcare professional imagine hearing that crazy anti-vaxxer logic from nurse. I was talking to my coworker and she hasn't had the flu shot in years! Nowadays if we refuse we have to be masked up the entire time we are at work. This year she's adamant that she is not getting a flu shot, but instead an excuse from her doctor that exempts her from taking it. She said that the flu shot gives her a skin rash....then she showed me pictures...it's not uticaria (hives). It's eczema, I know this because I suffer the exact same fate every time the seasons change.

I asked her if she would take the Covid 19 vaccine when it becomes available....and she said she didn't think that she would. I was at a loss for words. Part of me wanted to take her license, revoke it and have her go back to nursing school to learn the basics. I have a feeling if things get as bad as predicted she will probably be too frightened to even come into work.

What happened to the concept of choice in life?

Here is an article that shows the CDC reports less than fifty percent of Americans get a flu shot. They made a choice.

The article shows that less than eighty percent of health care workers get a flu shot. Again, they made a choice.

https://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/47/9/E45

Very true - it is a choice. If you choose not to take the flu vaccine, I will respect your right to choice. Even if that is a bad choice.

I hope you respect my right to ridicule those that do make that choice, based on the science involved?

giphy.gif

The article shows that less than eighty percent of health care workers get a flu shot. Again, they made a choice.

In most cases, it is NOT a choice for health care workers. Both at my place of employment and at the free clinic where I do volunteer work, we must have a flu shot by late October. If your job is to take care of the sick and elderly, being an asshole is not a choice at most places of employment. It's the healthcare workers' duty to get the shot.

I was sitting here thinking "wow - polio, diphtheria, and mumps season is almost here." And then I remembered that these diseases are no longer common in the US. How did we eradicate those diseases again? ?

Of course, thanks to anti-vaxers, measles has reared its ugly head again in the last 15 years.

New information: Seems to show getting a flu shot now might be getting it too early. So who’s the idiot now ?

I also find it ironic that they threw in “conspiracy theories”. Why it gotta be conspiracy theories? Can they just say, “and be sure to talk to your administrating physician about any concerns you may have about the flu virus and whether it’s right for you”. Instead, it’s almost like they say, “if you don’t want to get a flu shot, you’re buying into conspiracy theories”. And that automatically puts anyone who doesn’t get or have one as buying into conspiracies. There is a neutral ground in it all.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

New information: Seems to show getting a flu shot now might be getting it too early. So who’s the idiot now ?

I also find it ironic that they threw in “conspiracy theories”. Why it gotta be conspiracy theories? Can they just say, “and be sure to talk to your administrating physician about any concerns you may have about the flu virus and whether it’s right for you”. Instead, it’s almost like they say, “if you don’t want to get a flu shot, you’re buying into conspiracy theories”. And that automatically puts anyone who doesn’t get or have one as buying into conspiracies. There is a neutral ground in it all.

Let's see. This is a thread about urging people to get the flu shot. The video you posted is urging people to get the flu shot. A doctor featured in the video urges people to get the flu shot, but says to consider delaying it to mid-October to ensure people are protected through early next year because, you know, getting that protection is important in general but especially now during the pandemic. So...

Are you saying that twenty percent (or higher) of health care workers who do not get a flu shot are "assholes" (to quote you)?

That is a high number (confirmed by the CDC). In other words, one out of every five health care workers is an asshole (to quote you)?

There are valid medical reasons some people opt out of a flu shot.

Well, yes. The "valid" medical reasons for not getting a flu shot are (1) being under 6 months of age (presumably not a healthcare worker), and (2) people with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine, which is very rare.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

The egg allergy used to be an excuse, but they have been making the flu vaccinations in other ways for years now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yes. The "valid" medical reasons for not getting a flu shot are (1) being under 6 months of age (presumably not a healthcare worker), and (2) people with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine, which is very rare.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

The egg allergy used to be an excuse, but they have been making the flu vaccinations in other ways for years now.

I have problems digesting eggs thanks, it seems, to having taken erythromycin in my 20's to treat acne*.

My non-physician brain just assumed I would get a bad reaction. About 10 or so years ago my physician and I discussed the flu shot and he suggested getting one at his office and hanging out for an hour or so to see if I had an allergic reaction. I did, I did, and I didn't, respectively. Been getting them ever since.

Or, don't get your flu shot. It's your choice. :) I am 42, never gotten a flu shot, never got the flu.

Not to be an asshole, but have you ever been tested for the flu? Asking because three years ago I had a cold when flu shots were first available and didn't get one. Sure enough, the cold led to bronchitis. Aside from my "core" muscles aching from the bronchitis-induced incessant coughing I had no "flu-like" symptoms. My doc tested me for the flu and, low and behold, I tested positive. Started Tamiflu that day. No telling how many people I infected with flu before seeing the doctor.

* The erythromycin experience makes me skeptical of using doxycycline as PrEP against STIs. While the side-effects did keep me quite slim, I wasn't healthy-looking. I am sure my colon was always clean, but the constant runs to the bathroom made it too sensitive to enjoy anal sex.

Freedom to avoid the flu shot seems appropriate, but only for those who will bear the entire burden of their illness expenses themselves. Once you suck on the public tit for it, then it's my concern too.

You're absolutely right, but it goes beyond even that, since the unimmunized person can spread it to others.

Or, don't get your flu shot. It's your choice. :) I am 42, never gotten a flu shot, never got the flu.

I used to never get the flu shot also. Then one year i got the flu when I was 27 and it went around the office so it was hard to dodge. I had never before felt so sick that it occurred to me I might actually die and it lasted about five days. Got the shot every year since.