? Get your Flu Shot ! ?

orville
This topic is 1207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont make the same POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING mistake he's making.

First, I'm a board certified American physician. I do this for a living. So yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Did the writer get a vaccine? Yes, I have NO reason to believe he is being dishonest.

Did the writer get ill? Yes, I have NO reason to believe he is being dishonest.

But he's making what scientists call a Cause and Effect Error.

Many, many thousands of years ago, as we lived in Mother Africa, we heard roosters crowing at EVERY dawn. We therefore thought at that time that the roosters crowing at dawn BROUGHT UP the sun. We now dont think such nonsense as obviously we see now that these bronze age people were making a Cause and Effect Error. Just because one event follows another, doesn't mean the first event caused the second.

Dear readers: his vaccine did NOT in any way, shape, or form cause his illness. (False) Thats nonsense thinking. He got ill, sure, but its a mere coincidence that the illness followed the vaccine. Dont make his tragic mistake & believe such nonsense. THAT mistake could KILL YOU, or OTHERS around you.

I have NO delusions that this man will change his views no matter how strong an argument or proof is shown to him. These are the guys who go to their (literal) grave defending illogical but dearly held beliefs (believe me, I see them professionally all the time!). My point to you is just dont be LIKE him.

My dear brothers, GET your flu shot ASAP. This is NOT the year to get influenza AND Covid-19 at the same time. Such an event could be fatal.

FYI: 2019/2020 flu season killed roughly 22,000 Americans. 370,000 Americans were hospitalized (not visited the ER, hospitalized)!

You claim to be a physician. I hope you are a better physician than you are gifted at furnishing incorrect information.

When I reported my reaction from a flu shot, I did not go into detail because I did not anticipate a forum poster (well-intended?) would respond with information that contradicts the CDC.

A good physician should know, that although rare, some people have adverse reactions to a flu shot.

The below furnished CDC article supports this fact.

In my case, I could not leave my bed for several days following my reaction, I was so ill and weak.

I was in the military at the time I had the vaccine. After I was able to leave my bed following the terrible reaction, I was eventually diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Although unusual, a patient getting a flu vaccination, can and does develop Guillain Barre Syndrome.

See the below CDC article that confirms the vaccine association.

By the way, I did not recommend that any person do as I do, i.e., not take a flu vaccination.

I merely reported my experience and stated that I never took another flu vaccine and have never been ill after recovering from the initial flu vaccine caused Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Here is a portion of the below-cited article that is offered by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

GBS is rare.

Anyone can develop GBS, but people older than 50 are at greatest risk. In addition, about two-thirds of people who get GBS do so several days or weeks after they have been sick with diarrhea or a lung or sinus illness. Infection with the bacteria Campylobacter jejuni, which causes gastroenteritis (including symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), is one of the most common risk factors for GBS. People also can develop GBS after having the flu or other infections such as cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr virus. On very rare occasions, people develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/guillain-barre-syndrome.html

My report should be considered by anyone considering a flu vaccine. The information is considered "informed consent" as you should know.

Dear readers, just because I got ill from a flu shot does not mean others should avoid the shot. As the CDC article states, it is a rare occurrence to get ill. Statistically, those taking a flu vaccine should be fine. Just be aware of the possibility of an adverse reaction.

Edited by coriolis888

You claim to be a physician. I hope you are a better physician than you are gifted at furnishing false information.

When I reported my reaction from a flu shot, I did not go into detail because I did not anticipate that some poster (well-intended?) would respond with a false and inaccurate response.

A good physician would know, that although rare, some people have adverse reactions to a flu shot.

The below furnished CDC article supports this fact.

. . .

Your apology for your inaccurate conjecture and oversight is accepted.

My information should be considered by anyone considering a flu vaccine. The information is considered "informed consent" as you should know.

And, THAT is the T!

MOST people I know who have taken the FLU shot have gotten HORRIBLY sick. I have never taken it and guess what? NEVER GOT IT!

NO, Thank you!

From the VERY article that Coriolis888 referenced from the CDC:

"Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination. It is important to keep in mind that severe illness and death are associated with flu, and getting vaccinated is the best way to prevent flu infection and its complications."

SO, if Coriolis888's story & his reported GBS concerns you, then you should be REALLY concerned about actually GETTING the flu as you are MORE likely to get GBS if you ACTUALLY GET influenza. I repeat, please get your flu shot.

MOST people I know who have taken the FLU shot have gotten HORRIBLY sick.

Most? Sorry, but you're statement is batshit crazy.

Your perception of reality is off.

Or you exaggerate like crazy.

Or both.

From the VERY article that Coriolis888 referenced from the CDC:

"Studies suggest that it is more likely that a person will get GBS after getting the flu than after vaccination. It is important to keep in mind that severe illness and death are associated with flu, and getting vaccinated is the best way to prevent flu infection and its complications."

SO, if Coriolis888's story & his reported GBS concerns you, then you should be REALLY concerned about actually GETTING the flu as you are MORE likely to get GBS if you ACTUALLY GET influenza. I repeat, please get your flu shot.

Most? Sorry, but you're statement is batshit crazy.

Your perception of reality is off.

Or you exaggerate like crazy.

Or both.

Thanks, Doc, for saying I am 'batshit crazy' – that definitely makes me want to trust you. Riggghtttttt!! BOY, BYE! MANY people are against vaccines and MANY people remain healthy WITHOUT THEM!!!!

Y'all! The big DOCTOR gave my posts THUMBS DOWN!! Y'all. This is getting better minute by minute! Please, Doctor, inform us more!!!!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Did you, by any chance, get this particular flu shot in 1975? The vaccine that year was rushed out do to a potential swine flu pandemic and thus not tested as rigorously. GBS was a much more common side effect that year than in regular years.

Got my flu shot at Safeway last weekend. I was there, the pharmacy had the shots, and I didn't want to wait any longer. They use the little room they built when they thought about installing in-store clinics. The pharmacist sanitized the room and prepared the vaccination while I watched. Was really happy with the set-up.

Next week is pneumonia and then shingles. Plus, I get a 10% off groceries coupon with each vaccination!

I'm still waiting for response from my Dr's office :confused:

That"s the other reason for getting the shot at Safeway. My doctor's office didn't have availability for a few weeks.

Fortunately for me, the insurance my company offers provides excellent coverage (Anthem BCBS) and both the pneumonia and shingles vaccines will be no or low copay.

My story: last year (pre-Covid in November) I got 1 of the Hep shot vaccinations (mainly b/c I want to eventually get a tattoo and be safe). During the same time, doc asked if I wanted a flu Shot. I said nope! I felt I had already gotten “a virus” earlier last year in April, and since then, hadn’t felt anything similar to it up until last week, where I briefly hovered at 99.3 degrees. I immediately Tylenoled, Robittusin and Antibioticed myself down and laid low. I felt better within 2 days. I don’t plan to get a flu vaccine this year. Not that I don’t believe in it, but simply because it’s not enough guarantee for me to feel like getting one. You also can’t vaccinate a cold or a sinus infection virus, or seasonal allergies/weather changes that just leave me in a congested funk. real life shit I’ve actually had.

I have had times I come down with a sore throat so intense, I lose my voice. I usually have to lose work for a week. Doctor says: it’s a virus. I say, is it the flu? Chlamydia or Gonorreah in my throat? They say no. It’s just been “going around”. That’s why I don’t mind this whole mask ? thing. It’s kept other stuff down too.

It’s amazing how some people (Not referring to the OP, but just in general) will scold someone to get a Vaccination but will happily chow down on a box of fries that has 1,000 calories, won’t floss or brush their teeth at the end of the night, or hasn’t lifted a weight or ran a mile in years. If all of that is superficial, by all means suggesting someone inject a foreign substance administered by a stranger with the “idea” of keeping safe...seems strange to me.

Get your Flu shot and ask your regulars to get theirs too, otherwise we all (providers and clients) become vectors.

contrary to some posters opinions here, I think it’s only fair to give both sides...without judgment or ridicule:

Oc0oDnUaxEv9M2Io4sJ70T7t6C-ijXhNzwbCrVuUFKU4WxMrPK4u0drpA7-S-ukZ1DBJVWr-exx1_6aDpn9bjgvDy6x6vA

flu-vaccine.jpg

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

My story: last year (pre-Covid in November) I got 1 of the Hep shot vaccinations (mainly b/c I want to eventually get a tattoo and be safe). During the same time, doc asked if I wanted a flu Shot. I said nope! I felt I had already gotten “a virus” earlier last year in April, and since then, hadn’t felt anything similar to it up until last week, where I briefly hovered at 99.3 degrees. I immediately Tylenoled, Robittusin and Antibioticed myself down and laid low. I felt better within 2 days. I don’t plan to get a flu vaccine this year. Not that I don’t believe in it, but simply because it’s not enough guarantee for me to feel like getting one. You also can’t vaccinate a cold or a sinus infection virus, or seasonal allergies/weather changes that just leave me in a congested funk. real life shit I’ve actually had.

I have had times I come down with a sore throat so intense, I lose my voice. I usually have to lose work for a week. Doctor says: it’s a virus. I say, is it the flu? Chlamydia or Gonorreah in my throat? They say no. It’s just been “going around”. That’s why I don’t mind this whole mask ? thing. It’s kept other stuff down too.

It’s amazing how some people (Not referring to the OP, but just in general) will scold someone to get a Vaccination but will happily chow down on a box of fries that has 1,000 calories, won’t floss or brush their teeth at the end of the night, or hasn’t lifted a weight or ran a mile in years. If all of that is superficial, by all means suggesting someone inject a foreign substance administered by a stranger with the “idea” of keeping safe...seems strange to me.

contrary to some posters opinions here, I think it’s only fair to give both sides...without judgment or ridicule:

Oc0oDnUaxEv9M2Io4sJ70T7t6C-ijXhNzwbCrVuUFKU4WxMrPK4u0drpA7-S-ukZ1DBJVWr-exx1_6aDpn9bjgvDy6x6vA

flu-vaccine.jpg

Hi @Jarrod_Uncut thanks for replying to this thread. I liked your comment just for the fact that you provided your reasons as to why you are not taking a vaccine this year. It seems like you are making an informed decision based on the knowledge you have, also of your own body which is ultimately what it should be more important for you. Same case as another poster who got terribly sick in one occasion yet that was terrible enough for him to not take any flu vaccine again in life.

HOWEVER, I think that we all have some responsibility right now, not only with ourselves but also with others. We are living in very particular times right now. While all your arguments can be considered valid, there is HUGE factor in play which is called COVID and its possible interactions with Flu, which is the spirit of the OP. It's ok that you make your own decision but we must also be aware of everything we say as you can inadvertently influence others, and as you probably noticed most people in this thread are all pro-Flu-vaccine, especially now in the time of Covid.

I had my quarterly PrEP exam on Monday and got the flu shot and the first of the two shots for the shingles vaccine. I am usually healthy and rarely catch a bug or the flu and over the years I've been inconsistent about getting a flu shot. For me, I can take it or leave it. Basically, I've never felt the need to make a trip to the doctor's office just for the shot, but if I'm already going to be there, why not get it.

Before getting the shot, I always ask what side effects with the current year's vaccine are being reported. My physician told me that when she took this year's shot, she felt like she had a slight fever for about 24 hours, but that was it. I had a similar experience Tuesday evening and then it was over.

There was a big article in the Globe and Mail newspaper in Toronto today profiling Robert F Kennedy Jr. and how he has gone from being an environmentalist to an anti-vaccer today. He has a lot of followers it seems. I wish he had stuck with his first passionate cause.

on the other end, I don’t get anti vaccers either. If taking something that can give you immunity to an illness, by all means. It’s like those who refuse to get their kids vaccinated.

But I also don’t get people who push others to get vaccines that’s not required nor has a definitive guarantee of protection like a Hep A, B or C. I even had a friend tell me that his HPV vaccine doesn’t protect against all forms of the virus.

but I understand some people just want to be protected from “everything”. They’ll get the rental companies full coverage insurance, instead of using their own. They’ll get every vaccination that comes out, even if it contains dead babies and monkey brains lol.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

on the other end, I don’t get anti vaccers either. If taking something that can give you immunity to an illness, by all means. It’s like those who refuse to get their kids vaccinated.

But I also don’t get people who push others to get vaccines that’s not required nor has a definitive guarantee of protection like a Hep A, B or C. I even had a friend tell me that his HPV vaccine doesn’t protect against all forms of the virus.

You make a valid point. One doesn’t necessarily need to get all the vaccines that are out there. It is good to discuss any vaccines you might think are advisable in your own situation with a doctor and then take the ones which might offer you a degree of protection, recognizing there might be cases where 100 percent immunity is not possible. The HPV example is a case in point, many varieties of that virus and as I understand it no one vaccine guards against all.

but I understand some people just want to be protected from “everything”. They’ll get the rental companies full coverage insurance, instead of using their own. They’ll get every vaccination that comes out, even if it contains dead babies and monkey brains lol.

From what I understand this year's flu vaccine will protect 20 to 60% of the time. Not perfect but may protect you.

From what I understand this year's flu vaccine will protect 20 to 60% of the time. Not perfect but may protect you.

Even though flu vaccines have never offered 100 percent protection, whatever this year’s vaccine offers in terms of protection, I think people are now more sensitized to the need for hand washing frequently. This will lead to decreased transmission of the flu virus. Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of flu in the community (where ever you live). Two decades ago when my late father moved into a retirement home, my sister, a health care professional, told him to wipe his door handle to his apartment every day with a sanitizer to avoid getting the flu from touching it after the workers in his residence used it on a daily basis. He never got sick in the 3 years he was there while many of his co-residents came down with the flu every winter.

There are over 170 types of HPV, many of which are entirely asymptomatic, relatively harmless, or the body can fight off. So rather than trying to fit 170 different types of HPV into a needle and hoping the immune system adapts defenes against all of them, the researchers focused on the HPV types that are most likely to lead to cervical cancer, genital warts, and cancers of the mouth, anus, etc. So the HPV vaccine isn’t perfect, but it literally is a vaccine for many types of cancer.

And people who firmly believe in the scientific reasoning behind vaccines push for more people to take vaccines in order to maximize their societal benefits. The more people immune to whatever disease reduces its spread, and saves lives or reduces suffering.

The more people get the HPV vaccine, the lower chance that people who can’t receive it (immunocompromised, whatever) come in contact with HPV and later on develop cancers.

I'm terrified of shingles!! ? Bravo for that 10% discount coupon!! I suppose is the equivalent of the lollipop after vaccination but for adults.

Of all the things we vaccinate against, shingles is by far the most common in that about 30% of unvaccinated people will eventually get it. If you get your flu shot before October 1st (which is before flu season usually starts in the US), you should get a booster shot in January.

Thanks, Doc, for saying I am 'batshit crazy' – that definitely makes me want to trust you. Riggghtttttt!! BOY, BYE! MANY people are against vaccines and MANY people remain healthy WITHOUT THEM!!!!

And, unfortunately, many people are fools. That's why we have laws.