Do you wear masks outdoors?

This topic is 1364 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To keep myself in shape, I go hiking in the hills around where I live. These are wide open spaces, but I see some people, probably about 1/3, wearing masks, even on 8 foot wide fire trails. I normally don't comment, of course, but I saw a woman in her early 20s on the trail while I was sitting on a bench. I said "You may be interested to learn that last week the Journal of the American Medical Association came out with a summary of recent studies, and said that outdoor transmission is very rare, and occurs only with prolonged face-to-face interaction." She said "That's OK, I just like wearing it."

I must admit the press has not been publicizing these studies and summary articles. Do people not believe the science? Not know about it? Do you think that woman thought I was making it up? Is the sensationalist press to blame? I guess I was hoping to hear "Good to know!". Probably many peoples' health is deteriorating due to lack of exercise because they haven't been publicizing the fact that outdoor transmission only occurs under unusual circumstances. I have seen people wear masks on the trails miles from civilization, and certainly far from others. I've even seen people wear them while mountain biking--as if the virus were floating all around us.

When I ask my patients who've had it, it's always because they invite someone to their house without mask-wearing (generally a family member; one even went to an indoor wedding event!).

Edited by Unicorn

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wear a mask in public indoor spaces because 1) I believe it makes a big difference and 2) the governor of NV issued a mandate that all businesses require a mask. Instead of "no shirt, no shoes, no service," the sign you see at the door now says "no mask, no entry."

I never wear a mask outdoors because I never get all that close to anyone. Whenever I pass someone while outdoors, I leave them a wide berth. Risk of transmission in those circumstances has to be pretty close to zero. Besides, it was 109° yesterday, it'll reach 111° today, and 113° tomorrow. If I had to wear a mask in this heat, I'd suffocate.

I do not wear a mask outdoors because it is uncomfortable, particularly in the Arizona heat. I also find it difficult to breathe wearing a mask while exercising. I don't have any difficulty breathing while shopping or waiting for an elevator or sime such.

There are cyclists and runners who wear face masks, coronacrisis notwithstanding, to keep dust and insects out of their mouth and nose.

I always wear a mask outdoors. A recent experience may show why I feel it’s a good idea, despite what @Unicorn has posted.

We had stopped on a country walk to admire a vista. A nice young couple, 20s male and female, came along. They stopped next to us; they were masked, but with the masks under the chin. They were friendly and we chatted briefly. Suddenly the young man coughed openly. I glanced at him but said nothing, and then the young woman sneezed openly. I looked at her in surprise and she said Sorry.

Given that (at least in Europe) 50% of infected individuals are asymptomatic, my motto is Better Safe than Sorry.

I always wear a mask when I leave the house. 2 actually as with 2 masks my glasses don’t fog up so much. If I am completely alone I may lower it, same when biking. Recently in my neighborhood they have closed streets so there can be al fresco dining and tables outside the bars, now that drinking is involved I don’t feel safe in these areas as it can be shoulder to shoulder and with a beer in hand there is definitely no mask on. Remember their mask is to stop them from spreading to everyone else.

That being said when this pandemic passes I hope the closed streets continue.

@Unicorn, the information you give is new to me. I haven't read it anywhere. But I have a question...a guest wore a K95 mask and claimed that protected him from us and us from him, thus my husband and I did not need to wear masks. This is indoors. Was he right? We kept our masks on.

Oxygen and nitrogen molecules move at least 1,000 feet per second without the need of a current. That travel is the length of a few city blocks in the time it takes to suck back one inhalation cycle.

I assume viral particles are comparatively sluggish on the air racetrack yet disperse quickly with very very very considerable dilution, but where there are hosts there are varying clouds of virions. Where there are potential disease hosts I wear the covering depending on pinch points like sidewalk people volume, how much they are bellowing to each other or on their phones, etc.

I am not recommending it but I do it anyway. It is not that difficult to do without being bossy or getting bossed about it. I am sick of hygiene theatre where everybody wants to be a director. I just want 100% compliance with the minimum and for people to stop obsessing about others’ deviations towards precautions that exceed the guidelines if they are not hurting self or anybody else.

I always wear a mask outdoors. My outdoors usually involves public activities, shopping, errands and such. I do it because it’s the law and it feel right. Plus it gives me a sense of community. I can see how fights break out when people don’t wear them. It pisses me off to see maskless people walking around.

When I take my walk on the trail that runs through my subdivision, I don't wear a mask, but I do keep on in my pocket to put on in case I stop to chat with someone. And I don't wear a mask on my patio.

However, last week I visited the open air mall for the first time in six months and kept the mask on at all times.

It is believed that outdoor pulmonary tuberculosis transmission is possible though much less likely due to dilution. Again, depends on distancing and exposure to clouds of aerobic bacilli. Homeless people with multiple vulnerabilities in close proximity may transmit outdoors if relatively clustered together.

The only place I don't wear a mask is when I'm driving....I started wearing a mask last year on a long plane trip to and from Europe. My seatmate asked if I was ill. I told her no..but maybe you are...Planes are notorious for spreading germs. I like the idea of wearing a mask in public. If and when CoronaVirus is on the down slide I'll still wear a mask in public...movies...grocery shopping...plane trips....

Fauci had a bit of a bird when physicists weighed in on mitigation pertinent to viral aerobics and they erred on the side of greater caution.

It is unrealistic to control all pop anxiety, to have 100% scientific consensus, and to bring all skeptics up to the middle ground or resolve people conflating noncompliance with self-efficacy. Fauci appears sane in many groups as they are often populated with nutters, but he is not the only rational kid on the block. He is not our physician lead where I live. But he is good at synthesizing at the basic important common denominators.

Edited by SirBIllybob

The only place I don't wear a mask is when I'm driving....I started wearing a mask last year on a long plane trip to and from Europe. My seatmate asked if I was ill. I told her no..but maybe you are...Planes are notorious for spreading germs. I like the idea of wearing a mask in public. If and when CoronaVirus is on the down slide I'll still wear a mask in public...movies...grocery shopping...plane trips....

Essentially true in Japan for years

indoors yet, outdoors most of the time but if I'm the only one walking on the block I place it on my chin. I've been avoiding crowded streets lately for that reason.

If I lived in a place where the streets were teeming with people I would wear a mask outdoors. The fact is, in Phoenix we don't have a lot of people walking around, so it is easy to maintain a distance. I'm heading to the farmer's market this morning and will wear a mask.

If I lived in a place where the streets were teeming with people I would wear a mask outdoors. The fact is, in Phoenix we don't have a lot of people walking around, so it is easy to maintain a distance. I'm heading to the farmer's market this morning and will wear a mask.

Agreed, Phoenix, @Daverwr Palm Springs aren't NYC.

@BSR Would you wear a mask in a Trump rally outdoors? We are thinking about it therefore why not asking...

In Palm Springs, wearing masks on the street in the downtown near a commercial activity is required, but I haven't been downtown since it was mandated, so I don't know how many people do it. In our gated residential community, we have been told to wear a mask whenever we are outside in common areas. I always have a mask ready to put on if I encounter another resident, but I don't see any reason to wear one if there is no one else around. If it is OK to not wear a mask while eating at an outdoor restaurant, I don't see why it should be necessary when walking on a street when there is no one around.

A few people here have mentioned how uncomfortable it is to wear a mask outdoors when it is very hot, and I have certainly found that to be true, which is why I only wear one outdoors if I am interacting with other people, masked or not.

However, Unicorn, if the young woman on the trail didn't know you, why should she assume you were telling her the truth, considering how many people offer questionable information ?