2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't think it's a matter of being able to afford a cab fare, but rather if there are no cabs available or if uber/lyft has a 60 min+ wait or if the car rental companies run out of cars. Some people with car rental reservations arrive at the counter to find out the car rental company ran out of cars..

Friend sent me this youtube video to remind me of Seinfeld's experience with renting cars:

What about if there's an earthquake and the roads are all blocked? Power lines are down, no food available...many contingencies here!

Guest MikeThomas

Good point! Maybe @jjkrkwood can come up with some suggestions to avoid a racist name for the event! How about The Black Party? Oh, wait. They already have that one.

The BEST party I ever attended was the last Black Party at the original Saint.

The BEST party I ever attended was the last Black Party at the original Saint.

I had a friend from New York who in the 1980's told me with great conviction that he had seen God at the Saint. Apparently he saw God descending in a shimmering light from the ceiling. He's long dead now, sex, drugs and rock and roll claimed him before his allotted three score and ten by about thirty years.

I had a friend from New York who in the 1980's told me with great conviction that he had seen God at the Saint. Apparently he saw God descending in a shimmering light from the ceiling. He's long dead now, sex, drugs and rock and roll claimed him before his allotted three score and ten by about thirty years.

Wow, I had no idea God would be into drugs and sex.....oh wait, you mean your friend?

Wow, I had no idea God would be into drugs and sex.....oh wait, you mean your friend?

My friend actually looked like a Nordic god, blond, blue eyed, very good looking and had a large disposable income. He lived on the upper east side and his apartment faced the East River ( I think the east 70’s).

I only saw him infrequently in those years either when I was visiting NY or he was visiting me in Europe. We had met earlier in Canada. Not a bf, just a friend. I couldn’t or wouldn’t keep up with his lifestyle.

My friend actually looked like a Nordic god, blond, blue eyed, very good looking and had a large disposable income. He lived on the upper east side and his apartment faced the East River ( I think the east 70’s).

I only saw him infrequently in those years either when I was visiting NY or he was visiting me in Europe. We had met earlier in Canada. Not a bf, just a friend. I couldn’t or wouldn’t keep up with his lifestyle.

His name didn't happen to be Bill, did it? If so, PM me and we'll dish.

So speaking of Palm Springs... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

...any suggestions for restaurants for meals that are not part of the official agenda? I haven’t been to PS in a couple of years. Anything new and notable?

Though not new or notable, I'll probably go to Teriyaki Yogi for lunch one or more of the days for a healthy chicken/veggie bowl. Locally owned and fresh ingredients. Very casual (order at counter, name/number yelled out). In a shopping strip at SE corner of Sunrise and Palm Canyon. Well, I hope nothing has changed there since I was there last a couple years ago.

https://www.teriyakiyogi.com/

Edited by azdr0710

Restaurants in Palm Springs are NOT typical of restaurants in Southern California in general. Ethnic food in California has traditionally been dominated by Asian and Mexican cuisine. Thus, with that in mind one will usually find excellent Asian and Mexican restaurants in most California cities and towns – NOT, however, in Palm Springs. The Palm Springs population is dominated by transplanted residents from the Midwest and East especially this time of year. Mexican food in California has its origins in Northern Mexico especially Sonora. It is very spicy (hot) and tortillas are made of corn NOT flour. Most native Californians find the Mexican food in Palm Springs bland and tasteless. When I was a kid in Los Angeles Chinese food meant Cantonese style. But that rapidly expanded to include a plethora of different styles from all over China. Chinese food in Palm Springs is still Cantonese dominated. That’s just fine if all you are looking for is Sweet & Sour Pork.

Now for some recommendations:

Breakfast: 1.) Rick’s Restaurant and Bakery, 1973 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-416-0090. This place is a Palm Springs breakfast institution and has a very loyal gay clientele, 2.) Elmer’s Restaurant, 1030 East Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-8419. This is an Oregon chain which I actually prefer to Rick’s but I’m out there by myself on this one.

Lunch: Sherman’s Deli & Bakery, 401 East Tahquitz Canyon Way, 760-325-1199. This is another Palm Springs institution. I love their chopped liver on rye. They also serve breakfast and dinner. Tyler’s Burgers, 149 South Indian Canyon Drive, 760-325-2990, another Palm Springs institution. It’s good but I actually prefer In-N-Out.

Dinner: Copleys on Palm Canyon, 621 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-9555. Upscale restaurant serving continental food – expensive. Johannes, 196 South Indian Canyon Road, 760-778-0017. Upscale restaurant serving continental and Austrian food – expensive, Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 West Baristo Drive, 760-327-3446. Pretty location. Serves continental food – expensive, Tropicale, 330 East Amado Road, 760-866-1952. Nice atmosphere with good food at moderate prices.

These are just a few places I personally know. Please keep in mind that with limited indoor dinning currently in effect in California EARLY reservations are a MUST at all of the nicer restaurants in town. It is NOT to early to make reservations NOW in fact it might even be too late

Edited by Epigonos

Though not new or notable, I'll probably go to Teriyaki Yogi for lunch one or more of the days for a healthy chicken/veggie bowl. Locally owned and fresh ingredients. Very casual (order at counter, name/number yelled out). In a shopping strip at SE corner of Sunrise and Palm Canyon. Well, I hope nothing has changed there since I was there last a couple years ago.

Ooh I love teriyaki chicken places! Healthier but still delicoius. I'll definitely check this one out.

I won't be there, so what do I care, but ...

Guangdong food is good, but I quite like Sichuan cuisine. It's spicier. Are there such places in PS? Last year TB, AZDR and I went to a Sichuan restaurant in Rotorua and waddled out of it for a ridiculously low price, but being in a smaller city it had dishes from other regions in China.

Breakfast: 1.) Rick’s Restaurant and Bakery, 1973 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-416-0090. This place is a Palm Springs breakfast institution and has a very local gay clientele, 2.) Elmer’s Restaurant, 1030 East Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-8419. This is an Oregon chain which I actually prefer to Rick’s but I’m out there by myself on this one.

Lunch: Sherman’s Deli & Bakery, 401 East Tahquitz Canyon Way, 760-325-1199. This is another Palm Springs institution. I love their chopped liver on rye. They also serve breakfast and dinner. Tyler’s Burgers, 149 South Indian Canyon Drive, 760-325-2990, another Palm Springs institution. It’s good but I actually prefer In-N-Out.

Dinner: Copleys on Palm Canyon, 621 North Palm Canyon Drive, 760-327-9555. Upscale restaurant serving continental food – expensive. Johannes, 196 South Indian Canyon Road, 760-778-0017. Upscale restaurant serving continental and Austrian food – expensive, Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 West Baristo Drive, 760-327-3446. Pretty location. Serves continental food – expensive, Tropicale, 330 East Amado Road, 760-866-1952. Nice atmosphere with good food at moderate prices.

Don't pay any attention to some of this - he's a food snob! ;) :D ?

I agree with the those in red boldface.

Edited by Oliver