Are You Still Inspecting Eggs In The Carton At The Store?

Gar1eth
This topic is 1376 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just went to my local Walmart and bought a dozen eggs. I lifted each one up in my chosen carton and inspected it for cracks. One had a crack I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't picked it up. I took it out and replaced it with an egg from another carton.

I started thinking about whether I should do that now.

Gman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to my local Walmart and bought a dozen eggs. I lifted each one up in my chosen carton and inspected it for cracks. One had a crack I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't picked it up. I took it out and replaced it with an egg from another carton.

Gman

Someone's becoming a foodie...

Someone's becoming a foodie...

I think I've always done this. I learned it from my mother. Of course she'll also pick a grape off a bunch to see if the bunch is good. I just can't make myself eat an unwashed grape. Oh stop. Of course I've had unwashed grapes before in my life. But in general I don't want to-even before we were in a pandemic. But as a result I almost never buy grapes as they are often lousy whereas my Mom has great grapes.

I'm not as meticulous. When I find a crack(s), I return the entire carton to the pile at an angle and get another carton.

That's definitely one method. But I'd just rather pick one carton and stick with it unless there are too many cracked eggs.

Gman

my Mom also meticulously checked the eggs in cartons for cracks and I remember seeing her do this ever since I was very little......nowadays, though I'll eat an omelette in a restaurant as is, I don't like yolk or that stringy white thing coming out of it (my mom and her mom always cut that thing away and, after I heard what it is, I'm very thankful for them).....Costco has taken care of that and made it easy for me.......

imageService?profileId=12028466&id=991825&recipeId=739

Edited by azdr0710

A couple of weeks ago I bought a dozen eggs and forgot to check them. When I went to use them a couple of days later it turned out 6 or 7 were cracked. At the moment my immune system is very compromised so I threw all the cracked eggs in the garbage. Next time I'll check them first before I buy.

I used to bring my own bags, which is not permitted right now without having to step outside to bag your order. I don’t mind bagging - I always help with bagging (did help, anyway...) but the table for doing so outside the store is in full sun. I have been experiencing more pkg crushing, tearing and damaged produce and eggs since allowing store workers to do it all. Ah well. Grateful for ability to cook well, and for easy access to ingredients - right now too many in our world have neither.

Smart and Final some time ago (pre Covid) the checker opened my egg carton and saw one cracked egg. “Do you want this replaced or I’ll take 40% off now...” millisecond of math in my head and I took the discount and the cracked egg.

Made me wonder if I should crack one on purpose next time! ? I joke, I’d never do something that lowdown.

my Mom also meticulously checked the eggs in cartons for cracks and I remember seeing here do this ever since I was very little......nowadays, though I'll eat an omelette in a restaurant as is, I don't like yolk or that stringy white thing coming out of it (my mom and her mom always cut that thing away and, after I heard what it is, I'm very thankful for them).....Costco has taken care of that and made it easy for me.......

imageService?profileId=12028466&id=991825&recipeId=739

I don't like that stringy white thing either, but please don't tell me what it is. ?

Smart and Final some time ago (pre Covid) the checker opened my egg carton and saw one cracked egg. “Do you want this replaced or I’ll take 40% off now...” millisecond of math in my head and I took the discount and the cracked egg.

Made me wonder if I should crack one on purpose next time! ? I joke, I’d never do something that lowdown.

What never????

Gman

I used to bring my own bags, which is not permitted right now without having to step outside to bag your order.

Here in SoCal we can again bring in our own bags...most stores request you leave bags in cart and not place on conveyor belt. Bag your own in normal post-register location, employee will usually chip in and help, but not always nowadays.

When I worked in the dairy department, we would notice that customers would leave a dozen of eggs with one cracked on the shelf. We were trained to consolidate replace cracked eggs to eventually create on carton containing a dozen cracked eggs. The cashiers also checked the eggs and if one was cracked, the sacker would run back to the dairy and bring back a good dozen.

After that practice, I always check the carton when I take it from the shelf.

I check the carton and look at the tops/sides but don't pick up all the eggs. At my supermarket when there's one or more cracked eggs it's usually obvious. I think only once have I gotten them home and one was cracked on the bottom only without leakage that was visible from my usual inspection.

What will you do in the future when you no longer waste time going to the store?

What will you do in the future when you no longer waste time going to the store?

I worked in a Massachusetts supermarket for two years during high school in the early 1960s. When I was a cashier, it was easy. Much more difficult stocking the store, with all those broken or cracked eggs.

(Actually, the job requirement was belonging to a union: that job got me through college plus also working Summers.)

Gman

I always do