Are You Still Inspecting Eggs In The Carton At The Store?

Gar1eth
This topic is 1380 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eggs are usually good for a couple of weeks past the date on the carton.

I'd say they are good for a long time. There's a trick to check for freshness. Obviously if they smell bad, they are bad. But if they don't smell bad, and you need to check-get a bottle big enough that you could float an egg in-I used to use, if I'm remembering correctly, a large plastic apple juice bottle or V-8 that I had cut off the top 3rd. You fill it with water and drop the egg in it.

The test is from this article

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tell-if-eggs-are-bad

Instructions:

"To perform the float test, gently set your egg into a bowl or bucket of water. If the egg sinks, it is fresh. If it tilts upwards or even floats, it is old. This is because as an egg ages, the small air pocket inside it grows larger as water is released and replaced by air."

Gman

Is the concern about touching the eggs right now because of COVID? I thought the CDC and WHO have said surface transmission is unlikely. They are going the airborne and aerosol transmission route now. Hence the fuss about masks.

Unlikely isn't impossible. That's why they tell you to put take-out food into your own dishes and wash your hands thoroughly before eating.

Gman

I've always been a little bit OCD about cleaning raw foods. Washing eggs and fresh produce after bringing them home from the grocery store or farmer's market is standard procedure. Then everything goes in separate, washable containers in the refrigerator. The original packages get recycled or thrown out.

I always open the carton and check for cracked eggs, but if I find one, I return the carton to the shelf and try another one. I also pick up and inspect pieces of fruit, check each banana in the clump and pull off the bad ones, test tomatoes to see how soft they are, etc. Why should I pay for something that I will have to throw away when I get home? CoVid isn't going to deprive me of my right to inspect the apples for wormholes!