A reminder why we can't risk exposure to Covid 19

Old Blue
This topic is 1429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks like he aged a whole entire decade ?

Still, just one case... most people don't develop symptoms, don't even know they have the virus when they catch it. We can't live our lives in fear just because of this one particular case... which is what fear agents in the media seem to want.

Those who don’t develop symptoms are lucky. But they could be carriers who can pass it on to people who are old or immuno-compromised.

Still, just one case... most people don't develop symptoms, don't even know they have the virus when they catch it. We can't live our lives in fear just because of this one particular case... which is what fear agents in the media seem to want.

I don't think it is correct to state "most people don't develop symptoms.". Doctors Brix and Fauci would strongly disagree

And the other 100000 people. in the US and the others around the world. I see them die every day, this is not an isolated case no matter how you want to spin it. It is a long painful breathless struggle before a ventilator and gradual deterioration, Even people that don't die are in the hospital for weeks. You chose not to live in fear but rather in fantasy.

Yes, it's just one case. We should not focus on just one case.

United States

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

That guys is a hero for being willing to tell his story.

And - duh! - I doubt his goal was to fuck up the economy or scare people. I suspect his goal was to focus on what we can do to avoid being intubated for six weeks and losing 50 lbs.

I'm still wondering how it helps the economy for nurses like him to be hospitalized for six weeks. As opposed to in a hospital working, helping people get well, and going to the beach with his friends. Isn't the goal supposed to be to make it so that we can actually make the economy safe, so we can go to work and play without getting sick or being hospitalized or dying?

Be a pal, Shill. I don't know anybody who has been in a hospital on tubes for six weeks and lost 50 pounds. Maybe if you feel this is much ado about nothing, you could trail blaze for us and try it out and let us know how cool and sexy it is. Then you can also explain to us how you being out of work and in an ICU helped the economy, too.

Because I just really don't get how mass illness and death is good for any economy. I do get that the countries that have had the least economic blow did so by getting way ahead of the curve. That is why nurses like him didn't get sick, and didn't have to spend six weeks in an ICU, fortunately surviving.

And the other 100000 people. in the US and the others around the world. I see them die every day, this is not an isolated case no matter how you want to spin it. It is a long painful breathless struggle before a ventilator and gradual deterioration, Even people that don't die are in the hospital for weeks. You chose not to live in fear but rather in fantasy.

He does say he's a shill so

I respect the care and compassion that you evidence in carrying out your job and that you are in the front lines at ground zero. But, if we posted a picture of a single pedestrian struck by a car in a hospital bed and said “this is why you shouldn’t cross the street, don’t cross the street,” I don’t think people would stop crossing the street. @Corporate Shill is not in a fantasy world, but rather one of heightened awareness of the range of outcomes in the curve. You are in a situation where you see the worst outcomes.

Until you’re the “one” who becomes infected and dies. My lieutenant governor thinks old people are OK with the idea of dying for the the greater good. Our generation would be doing our grandchildren a favor by catching the corona virus and dying. I’ve got news for him. That’s a crock of bullshit.

Corporate Shill..do you engage in unsafe and unprotected sex? If you infected another human being with HIV or another STI would it be just another case to be dismissed? There has to be some social responsibility somewhere along the line and some compassion I might add.

I’ll take a media that presents and provides more information than might be necessary over a media that provides zero coverage of the pandemic.

Until you’re the “one” who becomes infected and dies.

That’s a hollow and purely emotional argument.

Who’s to say that you won’t be saved “from” covid-19 only to be run over and killed crossing the street the next day.

You have NO promise of life beyond the present. You could have a heart attack...you could get hit by a meteor...you could die in an earthquake or a tsunami.... when you can promise that we all can live beyond the next moment with precision and accuracy, then your rebuttal has merit.

If this can happen to a healthy 43 year old nurse:

Muscled does not equal healthy.

43 yo, but we don't know if he had underlying conditions or what were his lifestyle choices until that point.

Also it seems that severity of infection depends on viral load exposure (younger health workers have died too).

He went to a super spreader event loaded with tons of probably asymptomatic but highly infectious younger people.

In the comment I'm about to make I, naturally, speak only for myself and am recommending no course of action. As I have stated numerous times on this forum - I'm old - I'll be 80 in October.

I have had a wonderful life. I loved my job, have a wonderful family and wonderful friends. I have traveled all over the world. Now to my point. For me continuing to live like I currently am sequestered, wearing a mask every time I leave the house, unable to visit friends and family, unable to have friends and family visit me and unable to travel IS, FOR ME, A VERY SLOW AGONIZING DEATH. I am simply too old to live this way for an extended period of time.

If this can happen to a healthy 43 year old nurse:

Thank you for sharing!

True, but why take chances?

Even though Covid/Wuhan/Coronavirus is not as easily preventable as HIV, let's be responsible and keep ourselves healthy so we can be responsible with our society.

That’s a hollow and purely emotional argument.

Who’s to say that you won’t be saved “from” covid-19 only to be run over and killed crossing the street the next day.

You have NO promise of life beyond the present. You could have a heart attack...you could get hit by a meteor...you could die in an earthquake or a tsunami.... when you can promise that we all can live beyond the next moment with precision and accuracy, then your rebuttal has merit.

The irony of your response speaks volumes and is the the quintessential definition of a “hollow and purely emotional argument”.

Let’s leave it at this...we have differing opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And I’ll be the first to admit I can be a big rectal cavity.

The irony of your response speaks volumes and is the the quintessential definition of a “hollow and purely emotional argument”.

Let’s leave it at this...we have differing opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And I’ll be the first to admit I can be a big rectal cavity.

Ok, we can leave it there if you’d like, but there was nothing that is either hollow or emotional in my response. It’s 100% factual with my debits and credits balancing. Rectal cavities are irrelevant except that you felt compelled to describe yours in the response.

Having said that, we do agree to disagree. I hope you have a pleasant afternoon.

In the comment I'm about to make I, naturally, speak only for myself and am recommending no course of action. As I have stated numerous times on this forum - I'm old - I'll be 80 in October.

I have had a wonderful life. I loved my job, have a wonderful family and wonderful friends. I have traveled all over the world. Now to my point. For me continuing to live like I currently am sequestered, wearing a mask every time I leave the house, unable to visit friends and family, unable to have friends and family visit me and unable to travel IS, FOR ME, A VERY SLOW AGONIZING DEATH. I am simply too old to live this way for an extended period of time.

I understand your frustration BUT you still have a lot of living to do. Part of the debilitating effects of the pandemic is fear. There are reasonable, prudent risks that can be taken that allow socialization.

For example, a friend of mine almost your age is meeting friends for picnics in different parks or in backyards. Sometimes they each bring their own meals. They maintain the proper physical distance.

Several friends your age volunteer in a community garden where it is easy to keep separate and do as much or little as they physically can. One friend your age prepares lunch for the volunteers, brings it to the garden and enjoys lunch with them from a distance. Distancing, outdoor clean air and sunshine means a low risk.

Volunteer opportunities abound. One friend makes phone calls to other seniors as part of an organized effort to keep them socialized and to see what needs they have; the needs are relayed to different agencies to help provide what is needed. Another friend writes thank you notes for a non-profit to donors. Another (who I think is 81), tutors junior high school childby Zoom.

Bottom line, you are healthy and smart and intelligent. You have the freedom to choose your course of action. Look at this pandemic as a time of new adventures and personal growth. You still have a lot of offer and can do so with minimal risk.

Growing up, one of my role models was a woman who got her masters degree at age 94. I loved her philosophy of lifetime learning. It told me that no matter what age, limits are often self-imposed. Do not let fear impose unreasonable limits on you. Be smart and safe but live to the fullest possible.

Stay well but live life. Chose life.

I respect the care and compassion that you evidence in carrying out your job and that you are in the front lines at ground zero. But, if we posted a picture of a single pedestrian struck by a car in a hospital bed and said “this is why you shouldn’t cross the street, don’t cross the street,” I don’t think people would stop crossing the street. @Corporate Shill is not in a fantasy world, but rather one of heightened awareness of the range of outcomes in the curve. You are in a situation where you see the worst outcomes.

A better analogy would be this is why you do not cross the street without looking. It is the without looking part you are ignoring.

Steroids, which clearly he was using, impact immune response. ...

And not using them for six weeks explains why his muscles deflated

...How awful, I'm glad he's recovering now.

I am glad, too. Hopefully, his story inspires others to pay attention to social distancing requests and to avoid gatherings like circuit parties and concerts during a global pandemic.

Until you’re the “one” who becomes infected and dies. My lieutenant governor thinks old people are OK with the idea of dying for the the greater good. Our generation would be doing our grandchildren a favor by catching the corona virus and dying. I’ve got news for him. That’s a crock of bullshit.

Are you speaking of idiot Dan Patrick? If so, I elect him to be on the frontline first.

Gman

Bigjoey thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. The problem, for me, is that I want back the life I have spent years developing, building, and loving. Certainly I can change to meet the current circumstances it is just that I DON'T WANT TO.

Sorry. Maybe another thought. I started a thread on personal medical factors and Covid19 because while political and social factors are being talked about, personal medical factors are not.

The article I read made it clear that we are not all equally at risk due to factors like blood type, genetics, obesity, etc:

https://www.livescience.com/amp/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

Using the factors listed plus a few others like your vitamin D level (not in the article for some reason), general physical condition, you could make an actuarial calculation of your risk beyond age. If you score a low risk for infection or serious results if you do get infected, you might feel more at ease about resuming at least part of your old lifestyle.

You would certainly need to be careful like hand washing and avoiding large groups. However, a low risk score could let you have a few select friends over for dinner as a start (if available, an outdoor setting would be best). A low risk score may make you more comfortable in accepting an invitation to a small group dinner or a museum visit (but chose hours that are not normally busy).

I hope you get a low score and then start to feel safer in starting to resume your old life.

A low risk score may make you more comfortable in accepting an invitation to a small group dinner or a museum visit (but chose hours that are not normally busy).

Yes, exactly. Perhaps a pool party for a select group of friends, suitably physically distanced of course, with, oh, I don't know, perhaps devilled eggs served?