When are you willing to hire again?

keroscenefire
This topic is 1418 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

That seems like a misleading article. She talked about lifting restrictions graudally over the time period and they make it sound like she expects every restriction currently in place to still be in place the whole 3 months. Sounded more to me like she's saying SOME restrictions will still be going through July, not all of them.

There's a real communications issue here where many people are summarizing any and all restrictions as shelter-in-place and any relaxation at all as dropping the restrctions, making it sound like anything goes, which is far from the case. We need some agreed-upon terminology and consistent usage.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any practical thoughts or suggested practices related to the thread topic?

For all real and immediate purposes, forget a vaccine. It’s further away than we want to believe.

As lockdown Restrictions ease, yet the concept of social distancing remains… What would you do or require to be comfortable meeting up with a provider or a regular buddy.

What are manageable risk/benefit outcomes for you?

I'm considering hiring a regular when he travels down from Montana for Memorial Day weekend. He has essentially been isolated in his rural area (only going our for groceries and things) for the last few months and we have a good enough relationship where we'd both would be honest about potential risks.

Guest MikeThomas
That seems like a misleading article. She talked about lifting restrictions graudally over the time period and they make it sound like she expects every restriction currently in place to still be in place the whole 3 months. Sounded more to me like she's saying SOME restrictions will still be going through July, not all of them.

There's a real communications issue here where many people are summarizing any and all restrictions as shelter-in-place and any relaxation at all as dropping the restrctions, making it sound like anything goes, which is far from the case. We need some agreed-upon terminology and consistent usage.

Chicago is a major fail. Over 4,000 new cases today In Illinois... a record. The Governor has a 5 phase approach to re-opening. We’ll never get to a full Phase 5 reopen in the Northeast part of the state. We’ll probably never get to Phase 3 in Chicago. People are only willing to sacrifice so much personal freedom. At some point they will say enough.

Yep. It’s what’s driven me to give up FB for a time. Also not talking with people about all that’s going on.

19789999.jpg

There's a real communications issue here where many people are summarizing any and all restrictions as shelter-in-place and any relaxation at all as dropping the restrctions, making it sound like anything goes, which is far from the case

Yes, I’m sensing and hearing a lot of this “things are opening up....anything goes” from people I’m talking to. Very scary!

Chicago is a major fail. Over 4,000 new cases today In Illinois... a record. The Governor has a 5 phase approach to re-opening. We’ll never get to a full Phase 5 reopen in the Northeast part of the state. We’ll probably never get to Phase 3 in Chicago. People are only willing to sacrifice so much personal freedom. At some point they will say enough.

Sad but likely true. The problem with this thinking is that more cases doesn't automatically mean more people are infected, only that we now know the people who are infected. In other words, at least at this time, more testing means more cases. So if people just say screw it and revert to normal behavior, infection rates can shoot up and we are right back to saturated hospitals. I've been following the daily death counts, because even though it's a trailing indicator and is an undercount, I think it's more informative.

There was an epic rant about this on this podcast today:

You’re right! At the top of her 1PM PDT briefing today she apologizes for confusion:

She apologized “for the confusion I created yesterday when I indicated that we needed to continue with the health officer orders through the next few months. I had no intention of messaging that we weren’t changing our order to reflect our recovery journey.”

https://deadline.com/2020/05/l-a-county-coronavirus-dr-barbara-ferrer-1202933922/

So, I'm freaking out a bit here and could use some advice. My resolve has been crumbling for a while now. I've been meeting a potential new fuck buddy for walks in the nice Spring weather. Last night, he asked me to sit in his car and talk for a bit more after our walk. I knew I shouldn't, but you know...hormones...and I'm human and weak. So we talked, and of course one thing led to another. We were soon holding hands, then had our hands down each other's pants, then he was sucking me (very briefly...I freaked out and had him stop). He tried to kiss me several times, but I avoided it. At no time did our lips or tongues touch. But he did pull my head toward him and licked the side of my neck and ear. That was as far as it went. After I got into my car, before I drove home, I used hand sanitizer all over my neck and ear. And took a 15-minute hot shower when I got home and scrubbed every area he touched. I talked to a nurse friend on my way home who briefly calmed me down. He said to take my temp daily the next 2 weeks and watch for sore throat and loss of smell and taste. I feel so stupid. And yet...I wonder if I'm also overreacting. This virus isn't going away. There will never be zero risk of contracting it, even after there is a vaccine. I can't live like a monk until there is one.

The guy I was with has become a friend, and I do trust him. He is the manager of a pizza chain, so he works with food and abides by all the security guidelines...constantly sanitizing and wearing masks. He says he hasn't been with anyone since February.

For me, I will be ready to hire once I know that by virtue of effective drug therapies, a personal confrontation with covid-19 will amount to no more than an "out-patient" event. Once this is the prevailing reality, then we can all be back in business... imho.

I think this may be where we end up for a good while. If the vaccine is 2 years away but a treatment makes overcoming the virus less burdensome beforehand, those outside the high risk groups may take their chances.