Growing Cruise Ship Crisis off Florida

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1520 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What a mess. 17 cruise ships currently off Florida and not being allowed to dock. Some have only crew on board others still have passengers. Some have sick people on board. US Coast Guard no longer wants to take responsibility for evacuations nor allow docking and de-boarding. Some(Many?) of the vessels are Bahamian-flagged (even though they belong to US cruise lines) and some ships are being directed to seek help from the Bahamas. Some ships being told they may need to remain sequestered offshore indefinitely.

COVID-19 may destroy the cruise industry.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coast-guard-tells-cruises-to-prepare-to-care-for-sick-people-for-indefinite-period/ar-BB11ZoEY?ocid=spartanntp

What a mess. 17 cruise ships currently off Florida and not being allowed to dock. Some have only crew on board others still have passengers. Some have sick people on board. US Coast Guard no longer wants to take responsibility for evacuations nor allow docking and de-boarding. Some(Many?) of the vessels are Bahamian-flagged (even though they belong to US cruise lines) and some ships are being directed to seek help from the Bahamas. Some ships being told they may need to remain sequestered offshore indefinitely.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coast-guard-tells-cruises-to-prepare-to-care-for-sick-people-for-indefinite-period/ar-BB11ZoEY?ocid=spartanntp

then they should file for bankruptcy in their country of incorporation and let the chips fall where they may. Equity and bond holders should take the hit not the American public

A huge mess. Some crew can’t be repatriated to their countries of origin. Miami is reluctant to use hospital beds for US passengers who are not Florida residents.

And the cruise industry has come to a full stop... and excluded from federal aid, in part because they have avoided US income taxes for so many years by incorporating elsewhere and hiring few US citizens. And their environmental record doesn’t endear them to many.

I've never wanted to board one of those giant floating germ boxes. My claustrophobia would probably make the voyage uncomfortable anyway.

With some Googling I have a better idea how the industry runs, how the ships are registered in other countries to avoid our regulations, and where they get the money to pay for new ships. Some of the money is private investment from global high rollers, now apt to lose their shorts on cruise ship investments as the industry tanks. Very Unfair!!

Perhaps we will need to take ownership of the ship to cover the death and financial damages incurred by unloading the passengers here. Doubt if the US will send the ship back to the country it is registered.

Edited by E.T.Bass

In my opinion, cruise industry bailouts should be near the bottom of the priority list.... at least airlines pay income taxes, employ US citizen, pay tax on fuel, etc.

They may pay taxes but on the day the bailout for airlines was passed, United announced layoffs.

I've never wanted to board one of those giant floating germ boxes. My claustrophobia would probably make the voyage uncomfortable anyway.

With some Googling I have a better idea how the industry runs, how the ships are registered in other countries to avoid our regulations, and where they get the money to pay for new ships. Some of the money is private investment from global high rollers, now apt to lose their shorts on cruise ship investments as the industry tanks. Very Unfair!!

Perhaps we will need to take ownership of the ship to cover the death and financial damages incurred by unloading the passengers here. Doubt if the US will send the ship back to the country it is registered.

I couldn’t agree more. Over the years I’ve turned down requests from friends to cruise on the floating Petri dishes. To me, a cruise on some massive boat would be like a marine Mandalay Bay, with non-stop gluttony, drinking and gambling. A nice Hinckley sailboat charter with a small crew, on the other hand, would be much more to my liking. Let them go under (Financially, that is).

I doubt I'll ever get on a cruise ship again.

I never really liked them. And now that I've seen how easily a

virus can wreak havoc in that atmosphere, I don't every want to

be in that milieu

Before the coronavirus hit, I had been dreaming about a cruise for quite some time, like a month-long cruise all around the Mediterranean. I still hope to do it one day, but it will probably be years before I feel comfortable enough to take the plunge.

Large ships aren't my thing.

But large or small, bottom line, you're still on a floating incubator. The industry will survive, but it'll be an incredibly tough sell from here on out.

Viking, whom I genuinely enjoy cruising with, is offering ridiculous deals at the moment (free airfare, 2-for-1, no deposits, comped upgraded drink package, added money off). Even with the incentives (and all the tea in China), I wouldn't bite.