Talking 'Bout My Generation

purplekow
This topic is 1541 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

While there are different names and dates, this is one listing of the generations with dates and associated names. Most of us here are Boomers I believe, but there are a few Silent Generation members, also known as the greatest generation. I doubt there are any GI Generation members here but if there are please say it pround. Generation Z are not old enough to drink legally in the US, so there are very few if any of them here.

2000–: New Silent Generation or Generation Z.

1980 to 2000: Millennials or Generation Y.

1965 to 1979: Thirteeners or Generation X.

1946 to 1964: Baby Boomers.

1925 to 1945: the Silent Generation. (Also known as Greatest Generation)

1900 to 1924: the G.I. Generation.

I am a Boomer. I take OK Boomer as a compliment rather than the put down it is sometimes intended. I remember Vanna White before she wore orthopedic high heels. I remember when seeing the NBC Peacock instilled wonder. I know from whence came the title of this thread,

What about the rest of you?

As an aside, do you feel any sort of special identification with the members of your generation?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG here. I remember the birth of paper towels, and breaking the red dot in the oleomargarine clear plastic bag and then massaging the bag until the margarine looked like butter (it was a lot more laborious than one might think). I remember when automatic transmissions and power windows were novelties (and were about as reliable). Where has the time gone?

Very late Boomer here. I remember b&w television, having only 3 TV stations to watch, my father asking for $1.00 worth of gas and getting three gallons, the car windows washed, and fluids checked at a full serve station, and rotary phones.

Hahaha. I remember friends in elementary school having TVs that got UHF (the channels above 13), we didn't get one until I was 9. Our first color TV when I was about 11.

Hahaha. I remember friends in elementary school having TVs that got UHF (the channels above 13), we didn't get one until I was 9. Our first color TV when I was about 11.

Same here. I was going to reference UHF channels but thought most wouldn’t get it. I was thrilled when we finally got UHF so I could watch Ultra Man like my friends did. Our first color TV was from our neighbor who purchased a new one. A big console TV with the accordion doors to cover the screen when not watching.

Silent/Greatest Generation here. I remember going to kindergartnen in 1948-49 n Bedford, Massachusetts and taking a bus each way.

Harry Truman was inaugurated on his own in January 1949. I vaguely remember listening on the radio. Before most people had televisions.

Saw Truman on the back of his train on his "whistlestop" tour in my home town as a freshman in the high school band!

Our black and white TV had that too. Channel 2 was CBS, 4 was NBC (unlike other places where it’s 5), 7 was ABC, and 9 was the Canadian station. UHF was 50, 56 (Public TV), and 62. We had a color TV when we watched them landing on the moon.

late boomer here....

anybody remember, while a kid in the early-mid 70s.......

Pop Rocks, Wacky Packages, POW bracelets, Vampire blood, long lines at gas stations, bean bag chairs, heels on guys' dress shoes, OP corduroy shorts, AM radio, 8-track tapes, everybody watching Roots.......gotta be more - that's it for now

my parents finally broke down and got a color TV one day about 1968 because there was a Jacques Cousteau special on that night......big ol' Zenith console thing with four legs....took about two minutes for the picture to finally appear :D

-4152472662807644755.jpg

pow-bracelet.jpg

1365a065e337b89b741608c3ef09dc48.jpg

bbee2910c24dbe75d66e26037aa4a4a7.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

late boomer here....

Pop Rocks, Wacky Packages, POW bracelets, Vampire blood, long lines at gas stations, bean bag chairs, heels on guys' dress shoes, OP corduroy shorts, AM radio, 8-track tapes, everybody watching Roots.......gotta be more - that's it for now

my parents finally broke down and got a color TV one day about 1968 because there was a Jacques Cousteau special on that night......big ol' Zenith console thing with four legs....took about two minutes for the picture to finally appear :D

-4152472662807644755.jpg

pow-bracelet.jpg

Being short, I wore shoes with heels when they were in style. One pair of lace up shoes, and a pair of boots I had got several compliments, followed by questions of where did I get them.

I remember the girl across the street made “love beads”, a single strand, small bead necklace worn around the neck like a choker (It was the ”summer of love”) for my brother. He wore it only for a few days because she started to date his friend. We were just teenagers.

AM radio was what I remember listening to as a kid on a transistor radio with a dial to change channels. FM soon became popular by the time I was in junior high. Music began changing in the late 60s. I still love the early Motown sound.

Edited by bashful

I'm an early GenX-er, but don't "identify" with any specific generation. However, I have very little in common with the stereotypical Boomer, even those that were born late into the generation.

late boomer here....

-4152472662807644755.jpg

pow-bracelet.jpg

Remember them all!

I'm a Baby Boomer but because I was raised by my Grandparents I act more like the Silent Generation. I remember Black & White TV, Rotary dial phones and rarely locking the doors (or needing to,) The day JFK died, The Moon landing, The Vietnam war, The Aids pandemic, Platform shoes, and now the Trump Era.

I identify with so little of what is currently America, that I sit in the corner, beat my little drum and remember where we used to be and look forward to what we can still become.

memorial-day-comics-land-of-peace-and-freedom-600x394.jpg

While there are different names and dates, this is one listing of the generations with dates and associated names. Most of us here are Boomers I believe, but there are a few Silent Generation members, also known as the greatest generation. I doubt there are any GI Generation members here but if there are please say it pround. Generation Z are not old enough to drink legally in the US, so there are very few if any of them here.

when my grandmother would visit us (she was a native life-long Kansan born in 1900), she'd leave the microwave door open to let it cool off after use:D

also, the fridge was, of course, an icebox to her and she'd always say she was going to light the oven.....

she was in a bridge club for over 50 years and her mother (my great-grandmother) never knew.....great-grandmother forbid drinking, cards, and dancing.......and she'd ask if anybody wanted a Root to drink because she couldn't say beer

I have seen a lot of different interpretations of the cutoffs of these generations. I am right at the border of Gen X and Millennial so depending on who is making the determination I have been classified as Gen X, Millennial, and one time (god help me) a Xennial. Truth be told I do kind of feel I have a foot in both generations without being too fully in either.

For me I remember the change over to a lot of new technologies. We had rotary phones when I was little but they were all gone by the 90's. The decade started with vinyl and cassette tapes(my sister still has an extensive 45 collection) but it was all CDs by the mid 90's. I also remember the rise of the WWF (now WWE) as a big part of my childhood and subsequently part of my sexual awakening.

Silent Generation. My family on both sides tended to be long-lived. As I child, I was surrounded by family members who reminisced about when the telephone and automobile were exciting new inventions, and electricity and indoor toilets were only for the wealthy in Manhattan. My mother performed on one of the first radio stations in New York City, and I remember when only one family on our suburban block had a tv set, and all the neighbors would come by to watch it. I remember Truman beating Dewey; my mother remembered Wilson beating Taft and Teddy Roosevelt; my great-aunt Clara remembered Ulysses Grant's election.