Talking 'Bout My Generation

purplekow
This topic is 1565 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone remember the milkman delivering milk and putting it in your milk box? Cloth diapers and the foul smelling diaper pail?

Yes, in glass bottles and you placed your empties in the milk box the night before. We also had a guy with a pushcart who repaired umbrellas, another who sharpened knives, and one who sold soft pretzels. There was also the “egg man,” and the huckster who sold fresh fruits and vegetables from the bed of a pickup truck.

I remember the milkman delivering his milk in glass bottles. There were two kinds of bottle, one just for milk and one that had a glass bulb at the top for cream. My mother had to leave a note in the wooden milk box by the side door of our house if she wanted the one with cream.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the milkman delivering his milk in glass bottles. There were two kinds of bottle, one just for milk and one that had a glass bulb at the top for cream. My mother had to leave a note in the wooden milk box by the side door of our house if she wanted the one with cream.

Our bottles were the same but I remember the cream would rise to the top.....hey, wait, so that’s where that saying came from. ?

The last car my father had bought before the war was a 1935 Chevy. During the war there was no car paint available, and he repainted it himself with gray ship paint that he obtained somehow (he worked in a war factory). No one had new cars during the war, but I still was embarrassed riding in that car.

Yes, in glass bottles and you placed your empties in the milk box the night before. We also had a guy with a pushcart who repaired umbrellas, another who sharpened knives, and one who sold soft pretzels. There was also the “egg man,” and the huckster who sold fresh fruits and vegetables from the bed of a pickup truck.

We had a knife sharpening guy. I remember he had the weirdest-sounding bell on his truck. And the "corn man" - lived a mile or two away, grew corn in an empty lot next to his house and would sell it door-to-door.

I have fond memories of the Krug's Bakery truck that would go house to house with a range of baked goods for sale. There was also the fish monger and the fruit peddler, but it's the melody of the bakery truck's horn that stays with me. :D

Going back to milk delivery. During my entire childhood, we had milk delivery to our house. I can't remember if it was two or three times a week. Our house had a "milk chute", as we called it. An opening in the exterior wall of our kitchen with an outside door, and an inside door. The inside chute door was about a foot and half or so above the kitchen floor. It was only sized to accommodate two bottles of milk back when the house was built.

Later on, when milk came in paper cartons, and there were four of us boys, two cartons weren't enough. On the night before delivery, my mother would leave open the interior door. The milkman would open the outside door, and whatever was ordered that was beyond the two carton limit of the milk chute, such as extra cartons, eggs and cottage cheese, he would reach through, and leave the items on the kitchen floor.

Edited by bashful

I bought Intellivion when it was the hot thing on the market. Never played it enough to be worth the investment and I have no idea where it went.

Considering I got mine from a family friend, I definitely got my money's worth. A few years ago I bought a second one at an estate sale with 8 games mint in box for $50. If I wanted, I could probably sell the console and those games for a few hundred now.