Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexico is considering closing it’s borders to Americans to contain the virus. Be sure to check on this before you depart.

In Mexico now and that is pretty unlikely, though the irony is acute.

“If it were technically necessary to consider mechanisms of restriction or stronger surveillance we would have to take into account not that Mexico would bring the virus to the United States, rather that the United States could bring it here,” Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell said.

That said, on the cusp of spring break, the economic hit would be devastating.

I zipped over to Cozumel yesterday and there were 5 cruise ships anchored offshore with a handful of people on them and the tourist area was nearly deserted. The locals I talked to tell me that there is much concern about loss of tourism revenue in the upcoming 60 days.

EDIT: Day+1 - immigration back into US was a piece of cake at ATL. Almost no lines (GOES and non-GOES) and lots of DHS and other workers.

Edited by Keith30309

One good suggestion came my way yesterday. If possible, get a three month supply of necessary medications. Apparently a lot of the pharmaceutical industry is China-dependent.

Yes, many many things are part of a worldwide supply chain, with our largest trading partners being 1]Mexico and 2]China

It is important to keep in mind that we are not having a food shortage - stores only stock what we purchase week to week, and restaurants will probably be tossing food.

Common sense, proper hand washing, and avoiding crowds is the best defense!

I’m currently in Spain which reported a further 152 deaths overnight linked to the coronavirus. Spain has a population of just under 47 million and to date almost 8000 cases of infection and 288 deaths. Authorities admit the “data is lagging”.

The response has to been to declare a state of emergency with a national lockdown in full force for at least 15 days. The police are already cruising city streets in Madrid and Barcelona, asking people why they are out of their homes. Heavy fines of almost US$28000 - yes, that is not a typo - are to be imposed from 8am tomorrow on people leaving their homes for any reason other than to go to work or “absolutely necessary” visits to get food or obtain medical care.

The USA badly screwed up, just like Italy did. We should've been much more aggressive over a month ago. Testing capacity is grossly inadequate in the USA. We are missing many thousands of cases. Don't be surprised when our confirmed cases begin to really climb as testing capacity finally increases.

Extreme social distancing is critical now because we have fewer than a million hospital beds in the USA and only around 10% of those are critical care. If we become like Italy, many Americans are going to needlessly die.

It is important to keep in mind that we are not having a food shortage - stores only stock what we purchase week to week, and restaurants will probably be tossing food.

Same in this country. There is plenty of stock, and the supermarkets have been up front telling people not to panic buy. But they keep panic buying. There is plenty of toilet paper and the factories have increased production to make sure of it, but still the crowds strip the shelves.

I'm sure restaurants have been tossing food but they probably order day by day, and can adjust quickly to reduce demand. However, when the restrictions on mass gatherings came in, there were venues that had catering for large crowds, and they could no longer use the food. They didn't dump it, they called charities that supply homeless shelters and other charities, so it didn't go to waste. From what I read, the organisations that channel food that would otherwise go to landfill, to people who need it are quite effective these days.

Same in this country. There is plenty of stock, and the supermarkets have been up front telling people not to panic buy. But they keep panic buying. There is plenty of toilet paper and the factories have increased production to make sure of it, but still the crowds strip the shelves.

I'm sure restaurants have been tossing food but they probably order day by day, and can adjust quickly to reduce demand. However, when the restrictions on mass gatherings came in, there were venues that had catering for large crowds, and they could no longer use the food. They didn't dump it, they called charities that supply homeless shelters and other charities, so it didn't go to waste. From what I read, the organisations that channel food that would otherwise go to landfill, to people who need it are quite effective these days.

People are in panic mode. Humans are not rational when emotions take over. This is a logical consequence of many years of propaganda. We now have to ride it out until it burns out or it tears us down.

The USA badly screwed up, just like Italy did. We should've been much more aggressive over a month ago. Testing capacity is grossly inadequate in the USA. We are missing many thousands of cases. Don't be surprised when our confirmed cases begin to really climb as testing capacity finally increases.

Extreme social distancing is critical now because we have fewer than a million hospital beds in the USA and only around 10% of those are critical care. If we become like Italy, many Americans are going to needlessly die.

Excluding China for having to experience it first, the whole world dropped the ball really.

I have been reading about this virus since New Year's. Anyone I've met can probably recount me saying I have wanted to take a trip overseas this year, because as far as International travel I have only been to the Caribbean and Puerto Vallarta. But had to abandon hope months ago when I read airports in China were starting to temperature screen, as I always have run warm. I just vastly under estimated consumer product panic.

People are in panic mode. Humans are not rational when emotions take over. This is a logical consequence of many years of propaganda. We now have to ride it out until it burns out or it tears us down.

I hear you. I am gratified that there are charities that can use the food from cancelled events, and the organisers of those events are prepared to give them the food. I expect the organisers have insurance so they don't lose, but I suspect even if they don't there's a tax deduction for donating it.

Government is reactive it is not proactive. This applies to totalitarian dictatorships like China as well as Western democracies such as the United States or Europe. The leadership of these countries, regardless of political parties all encounter the same issues of authority, legality, and bureaucratic incompetence/inertia.

Anyone expecting that “government“ will save them from disaster is going to be a casualty.

This virus is going to spread, it’s what viruses do, nothing is going to prevent that from happening. The United States will become the epicenter of this outbreak in less than two weeks. We have the most mobile population on Earth. We are the third most populous country on Earth. Our citizens are not inclined to obey centralized authority. We will have more reported cases than any other country. Only China will lIkely have more cases but the Chinese Communist Party has lied from the beginning of this situation and will continue to lie for a long time about the extent of of infections and deaths.

Human nature doesn’t change. Look at history.

Excluding China for having to experience it first, the whole world dropped the ball really.

I have been reading about this virus since New Year's. Anyone I've met can probably recount me saying I have wanted to take a trip overseas this year, because as far as International travel I have only been to the Caribbean and Puerto Vallarta. But had to abandon hope months ago when I read airports in China were starting to temperature screen, as I always have run warm. I just vastly under estimated consumer product panic.

Much of the Western world dropped the ball. Many Asian nations did all the right things and so did a few Western nations. China seriously under-reported for a long time. Was it intentional or incompetence? Probably a combination of both. Humans are great at hubris.

the Chinese Communist Party has lied from the beginning of this situation and will continue to lie for a long time about the extent of of infections and deaths

I suspect it's a combination of the CCP lying and not knowing what was happening. I'm not entirely sure that the US figures will be accurate either, although given time the correct US figures will most likely come out.

I have a friend who works for a local medical research firm. The firm provides coronavirus information to local, state and federal government agencies but NOT to the general public. He very specifically asked me not to name the firm thus you may choose to disregard the following information. The percentages are from him the numbers are mine based on a United States population estimate of 327.2 million. His firm estimates that 80% (216.8 million) of the American public will contract the coronavirus. Of that 80% (261.8 million) who contract the virus 80% (209.4 million) will be asymptomatic. These people won’t even know they have the virus unless tested. Of the remaining 20% of the public that exhibits symptoms 19% (39.8 million) will exhibit mild to moderate symptoms and will, most likely, recover at home. That leaves 01% (2.6 million) who will exhibit sever symptoms which is some cases will lead to death. This group consists of three subgroups 1.) people under the age of 20 with severe preexisting health problems mostly of the pulmonary variety (cystic fibrosis for example), 2.) people between the ages of 20 and 60 with severe preexisting health issues and those with severely compromised immune systems, 3.) people over 60. This is the group most at risk because of multiple preexisting health issues and weak immune systems.

Edited by Epigonos

I have a friend who works for a local medical research firm. The firm provides coronavirus information to local, state and federal government agencies but NOT to the general public. He very specifically asked me not to name the firm thus you may choose to disregard the following information. The percentages are from him the numbers are mine based on a United States population estimate of 327.2 million. His firm estimates that 80% (216.8 million) of the American public will contract the coronavirus. Of that 80% (261.8 million) who contract the virus 80% (209.4 million) will be asymptomatic. These people won’t even know they have the virus unless tested. Of the remaining 20% of the public that exhibits symptoms 19% (39.8 million) will exhibit mild to moderate symptoms and will, most likely, recover at home. That leaves 01% (2.6 million) who will exhibit sever symptoms which is some cases will lead to death. This group consists of three subgroups 1.) people under the age of 20 with severe preexisting health problems mostly of the pulmonary variety (cystic fibrosis for example), 2.) people between the ages of 20 and 60 with severe preexisting health issue and those with severely compromise immune systems, 3.) people over 60. This is the group most at risk because of multiple preexisting health issues and weak immune systems.

Thank you for that information/update...!

I have a friend who works for a local medical research firm. The firm provides coronavirus information to local, state and federal government agencies but NOT to the general public. He very specifically asked me not to name the firm thus you may choose to disregard the following information. The percentages are from him the numbers are mine based on a United States population estimate of 327.2 million. His firm estimates that 80% (216.8 million) of the American public will contract the coronavirus. Of that 80% (261.8 million) who contract the virus 80% (209.4 million) will be asymptomatic. These people won’t even know they have the virus unless tested. Of the remaining 20% of the public that exhibits symptoms 19% (39.8 million) will exhibit mild to moderate symptoms and will, most likely, recover at home. That leaves 01% (2.6 million) who will exhibit sever symptoms which is some cases will lead to death. This group consists of three subgroups 1.) people under the age of 20 with severe preexisting health problems mostly of the pulmonary variety (cystic fibrosis for example), 2.) people between the ages of 20 and 60 with severe preexisting health issue and those with severely compromise immune systems, 3.) people over 60. This is the group most at risk because of multiple preexisting health issues and weak immune systems.

Those sound about right. Extreme social distancing is critical right now so America's roughly 900k hospital beds, especially the 90k critical care, are not overwhelmed. We need to spread out the few million critical cases over as many months as possible. If they clump up and hit together, many innocent vulnerable Americans will needlessly die.

BREAD! MILK! TOILET PAPER!

I have been to 4 different grocery store chains over the last few days. Not to stockpile anything but to get stuff to cook for dinner.

The things vanishing off the shelves (in no particular order)... lunch meat, certain fresh vegetables (why the hell people are buying up all the onions is anyone's guess lol!), certain cleaning products, fresh meat & seafood, water, bread, certain bagged snacks (i.e. potato chips) and of course tp.

It's like walking into a Communist grocery store as depicted in an 80s movie. :D

I don't mean to make light of the overall situation, but the panic buying is ridiculous.

I have been to 4 different grocery store chains over the last few days. Not to stockpile anything but to get stuff to cook for dinner.

The things vanishing off the shelves (in no particular order)... lunch meat, certain fresh vegetables (why the hell people are buying up all the onions is anyone's guess lol!), certain cleaning products, fresh meat & seafood, water, bread, certain bagged snacks (i.e. potato chips) and of course tp.

It's like walking into a Communist grocery store as depicted in an 80s movie. :D

I don't mean to make light of the overall situation, but the panic buying is ridiculous.

I called my local trader joe's before I went over there. The very nice kid on the phone said, "yes we have food and we are unloading the night truck delivery" and we have most things but if you want something don't wait just buy it". I drove over and the fresh meat was gone but most other stuff was there. It wasn't crazy crowded and most people were being civil. Hope it stays that way...

Toilet Paper and cleaning supplies were completely gone though. If they start rationing stuff people are going to go ape shit I think... Americans aren't use to being told you can't buy whatever you want...

Despite the severity of this current situation it really helps to keep ones sense of humor. In the freezer section of my local market there was an abundance of good quality frozen dinners on the shelves. However, the frozen pizza section was stripped bare. Standing in line to check out I noticed that the woman in front of me had her shopping cart full of frozen pizzas plus several huge bags of potato chips. People never cease to amaze me.

Our governor in Ohio just ordered all restaurants closed at 9 p.m. tonight. At least carryout and delivery is still allowed and opening a lot of restaurants stay open since the grocery stores are so low on food.
Smart move by Ohio. I assume restaurants/bars everywhere will close within 2-3 days. As in Ohio, I suspect the exceptions may be take-out/delivery/Drive-thru windows. I picked up coffee at the McDonald's drive-thru window yesterday. The cashier was wearing rubber/plastic gloves. I'm sure face protection is next.