Bernie Madoff seeks early release from prison due to terminal illness

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He has served approximately 10 years of a 150-year sentence. I would not be particularly inclined to give him early release. You?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ponzi-scheme-king-bernie-madoff-says-he-is-dying-seeks-early-release-from-prison/ar-BBZGJ91?ocid=spartanntp

no longer a chance!

I guess he's in Hell now!

Bernie Madoff, Financier Turned Ponzi Scheme Criminal, Dies at 82 (businessinsider.com)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use Wikipedia

If you didn't, you wouldn't have to ask questions such as "Are any of his family members still alive?". It's not 100% reliable on everything, but pretty darned close. There are millions of people fact-checking the entries and sources of information. It also tells you if any entry is less than reliable.

If you didn't, you wouldn't have to ask questions such as "Are any of his family members still alive?". It's not 100% reliable on everything, but pretty darned close. There are millions of people fact-checking the entries and sources of information. It also tells you if any entry is less than reliable.

I use Wikipedia to check spelling of name like Walter Lippmann. I have a good memory otherwise ?

My mother was on dialysis for the last 9 months if her life. It's a miserable existence.

My mother the same. But the end came peacefully slipping gently into a coma until she breathed no more. I was hoping Madoff would encounter some more terribly painful demise like being drawn and quartered or burnt at a stake or ever a slow multiday crucifixion.

Actually he was best known for ripping off his friends and acquaintances in Palm Beach and Manhattan.

as stated in Wikipedia! ;)

Exactly, Wikipedia is not only accurate and up to date but nothing is published without a reliable source as reference.

as stated in Wikipedia! ;)

Exactly, Wikipedia is not only accurate and up to date but nothing is published without a reliable source as reference.

How many university professors approve of their students replying on Wikipedia? Zero is my humble guess

Even though Madoff bragged early on that the authorities will never find the money he stole, apparently about 80% has been recovered. Of course, everyone wishes it were 100%. And even if Madoff's victims get all their money back eventually, they missed out on the capital gains they could have made by investing in legitimate investment funds.

I almost never wish anyone a painful death, but Madoff undoubtedly deserves to be an exception to that rule.

And even if Madoff's victims get all their money back eventually, they missed out on the capital gains they could have made by investing in legitimate investment funds.

Yes I think the average yearly rate of return on the US stock market longterm is around 10% which is not that bad.

snip

Of course, everyone wishes it were 100%. And even if Madoff's victims get all their money back eventually, they missed out on the capital gains they could have made by investing in legitimate investment funds.

-

But, if they had chosen bad investments (instead of Madoff), they could have lost their money somewhere else unrelated to Madoff.

Not all investments are profitable.

-