Bernie Madoff seeks early release from prison due to terminal illness

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1113 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My mother the same. But the end came peacefully slipping gently into a coma until she breathed no more. I was hoping Madoff would encounter some more terribly painful demise like being drawn and quartered or burnt at a stake or ever a slow multiday crucifixion.

My mother had a heart attack at dialysis and despite the DNR they worked on her for

It's hard to feel sorry for him given how he screwed over so many. Nonetheless, this has me wondering about how transplants work for prisoners and whether he was just too low on a list to get one.

How many years you will get out of an organ is definitely a factor in allocation, but from googling it appears to vary by transplant program.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a report on some of Madoff's victims, one couple featured was very successful. They worked hard, saved their money, and were living an enviable retirement - nice Manhattan apartment, beautiful place in Ft. Lauderdale - until they learned of Madoff's scam. They were in the process of selling their NYC place and were looking to downsize in Ft. Lauderdale because their real estate was the only equity they had left. Almost everything else was invested with Madoff.

The man broke down not while he talked about his own losses but when he brought up all the family members & friends who invested with Madoff at his recommendation.

That couple were just two of Madoff's thousands of victims. And the psychopath didn't feel a speck of guilt over the lives he ruined. Whatever he suffered near the end of his life, it's a fraction of the suffering he caused.

I remember very vividly the time when the Madoff scandal was unfolding I was an active investor in the markets at the time and I thought that the victims of Madoff had ignored two basic and time honoured tenets of investing money in the markets.

The first is diversify, don’t put all you investable money into one instrument. Have a basket of investments that can withstand a shock to one class such as bonds, stocks or money market funds or even different markets such as foreign investments.

Secondly, if you have an investment that yields good returns no matter what the market conditions are generally, then look into what is going on. Markets are never static, they fluctuate constantly, no matter what the underlying instrument is. If you are getting 10 percent on your investment, year in and year out, something is probably amiss.

And that is what Madoff’s clients were getting. A steady return through good markets and bad markets. When it seems too good to be true it probably is.