I saw something most disquieting at Costco last week-end

This topic is 1715 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No, not halloween stuff. Not even Thanksgiving. They actually had Christmas trees (artificial) for sale. And it was still summer. It's too early for Halloween items, as far as I can see. But Christmas? Are retail stores trying to outdo themselves in their nuttiness?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not halloween stuff. Not even Thanksgiving. They actually had Christmas trees (artificial) for sale. And it was still summer. It's too early for Halloween items, as far as I can see. But Christmas? Are retail stores trying to outdo themselves in their nuttiness?

We shop at Costco a lot for our biz. About a month ago (Aug) there were xmas ribbons out on display. I just about lost it. Then I got distracted by one of the lovely sample ladies and everything was fine.

Hugs,

Greg

I have family members involved in a business that manufactures and ships holiday stuff to Costco. Sam’s Club too.

Costco wants the stuff in transit to them before Labor Day. The containers of raw materials for assembly come into port from China in April to begin production before summer in time for shipping deadlines.

They should just put the Christmas merchandise out the day after Easter. "He is Risen" and all.

Lol, same thing here in reverse (well, sort of). Hot cross buns are an Easter staple here (I don't know if they are a thing in the US - sweet bread rolls with raisins and currants etc, with a white cross on the top) and the super markets have them on their shelves the day they open after Christmas. They seem to have eased off until 1 Jan now, I suspect their staff complained to management about the public mockery they received. With social media, the combination of outrage and mockery has risen to new levels in recent years.

Back in the day, Nordstrom always decorated for Christmas when they were closed for Thanksgiving - I was told that they staff came in that afternoon and had sort of a party while they decorated.

The tag line went something like "At Nordstrom we prefer our holidays the old fashioned way, one at a time."

I always thought the tradition of starting the Christmas season with the Christmas parades on or about Thanksgiving was a decent idea. One month for the "season" was fine. The new, longer Christmas season overlapping Halloween is just bizarre.

The problem is Christmas just doesn't fit with warm season weather and looks odd, while ending it when the coldest weather hits is almost cruel, being dumped into dismal January. I like the old Russian Communist holidays of winter fest starting with New Years. Having a holiday/festival to dispel the gloom of the worst of winter makes more sense. (A lot more than skeletons in Santa hats in 80 degree weather).

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/12/30/how-soviets-came-to-celebrate-new-years-like-christmas-and-why-russians-still-do/

Such blatant northern hemisphere exclusivism! <snigger> This is so funny, what could possibly be more normal than a 35 degrees Celsius Christmas Day. Now if it snows, that is odd (and it leads the evening news bulletins).

I've been in warm locations at Christmas and sorry but the sleighs and sleighbells, the red fur Santa outfits, the reindeer, the snowmen, etc just don't fit in and the twinkling palm trees don't seem Christmasy. Sorry y'alls seasons are backwards.

I've been in warm locations at Christmas and sorry but the sleighs and sleighbells, the red fur Santa outfits, the reindeer, the snowmen, etc just don't fit in and the twinkling palm trees don't seem Christmasy. Sorry y'alls seasons are backwards.

What's not to like about a dude in a pair of speedos or a muscle shirt and a little Santa hat?

Eh, I’ve gotten used to hanging my Christmas lights in 90° weather, wearing short pants with the Santa Ana winds blowing the palm trees and my strings of lights.

Eh, I’ve gotten used to hanging my Christmas lights in 90° weather, wearing short pants with the Santa Ana winds blowing the palm trees and my strings of lights.

One of my nicest memories of Chistmas morning is walking along del Rio beach in Aptos on a warm sunny Christmas morning. I said to my husband, "White Christmases are really overrated."

They seem to have disappeared in the US. I remember having hot cross buns at Easter as young child.

We went to Mass every Friday of the school year. On the First Friday of each month we got donuts after Mass. I dreaded the First Friday around Easter time, because then we got hot cross buns. Yuck!

We went to Mass every Friday of the school year. On the First Friday of each month we got donuts after Mass. I dreaded the First Friday around Easter time, because then we got hot cross buns. Yuck!

They probably don't compare with donuts - but, as I remember, they were sort of a glazed sweet roll with raisins and a cross on top made from white icing. What's not to like?