New longest airline flight 19 hours Would you go?

purplekow
This topic is 1719 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday was the inaugural flight of an Air Singapore route from Neward to Singapore non-stop. The plane takes the polar route and it takes 19 hours, The first flight actually arrived about 2 hours early due to favorable winds.

Any takers on this? I think Mr. Baldwin might be one candidate as he travels to the Orient frequently.

By the way 68 seats Cost about 4000 dollars each way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fly from Newark to New Delhi quite often several years ago and that was just over 15 hours, if I remember correctly. I did it both coach and first. No way I could do coach again for that long so a 19 hour flight would have to be first for sure (is the 4k cost first?). Unless there is an overwhelming reason to do otherwise, these days I break up long long flights into multiple segments and try to have a day or more layover in between. It's tough getting older and those flights are for the young.

looks like Singapore Air is using their A350-900 ULR (ultra long range) equipment on this leg....NO basic economy seats at all!!......161 seats in a plane designed for 325!!......I was in Premium Economy last fall (I'm not a status kinda guy) on an SQ A350-900 ULR from SIN-LAX and was lucky and grateful to sit in the middle section with nobody else in my entire middle section row....however, the arm rests are fixed, so no "lie-flat seat" available!

https://seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Airlines_Airbus_A350-900ULR.php

Edited by azdr0710

Hey if someone foots the bill and flies me, let’s go ;)

Truthfully my longest flight has been SLC -Paris and it wasn’t bad. I couldn’t imagine basically an entire day.

I flew from Dulles in Washington to Tokyo and then from Tokyo to Sydney.

All in coach because it was a frequent flier ticket round trip ticket.

I flew Emirates First Class from Sydney to Christchurch ... on credit card points. The 2009 Dom Perpignan was so-so, but the Hennessy Paradis was sublime. AND a heavy pour!

I had flown Christchurch to Sydney, but not in first class.

I flew a few times from California to Asia or the South Pacific, and once from Chicago to Osaka non-stop, but after the first trip in economy, I vowed never again to take any flight longer than seven hours unless it was in First or at least Business class. I don't really need lie-flat accommodation (I have done that a couple of times in flights from LAX to Heathrow), but I do need more room than any economy seat offers.

I would fly it, but wouldn't pay too much of a premium for it. I'm with a previous commenter that having a layover is good. As many of you would know, long sectors are normal for me (and unavoidable for the most part) but SYD-DFW is my longest so far. (Only 13.5 LAX-BNE going home from Palm Springs.)

As AZDR noted Singapore Airlines uses a specially configured all-premium seating A350 for this route. It only carries premium economy and business passengers. The alternative to New York with them is SIN-FRA-JFK which operates in a four class configuration. Going to NYC I'll probably stick with QF11.

I don't even return to Sydney because it's 13 hours from CA or HI. I did it once while young in steerage on a crowded flight and would never again except for Biz class. Not sure I'd even do Biz class for 19 hours. Together with the horrible jet lag for a week with a 12 hour difference, ....no way.

I have never flown first class or business to Europe, Asia or Australia.

Flown to Europe and back many times.

Also to Vietnam and often to New Zealand and/or Australia. My last flight to Europe was to Bosnia via Munich. Before that to Stockholm...

My longest flight was Emirates from JFK to Dubai and then continuing to Delhi. I had booked business class on their A380, but was upgraded to First on my trip over (did not get upgraded on return). Anyhow, I think I could fly in that circumstance for days and days. ? On demand menu, movies galore, suite, shower spa, and all the Dom they could pour! Thanks for bringing the memory to mind, @purplekow!

Edited by HotWhiteThirties

Yesterday was the inaugural flight of an Air Singapore route from Neward to Singapore non-stop. The plane takes the polar route and it takes 19 hours, The first flight actually arrived about 2 hours early due to favorable winds.

Any takers on this? I think Mr. Baldwin might be one candidate as he travels to the Orient frequently.

By the way 68 seats Cost about 4000 dollars each way.

SQ re-started this flight in October of 2018. It's been going awhile now from EWR.

Seats in their premium eco section are much less than $4k RT.

I've flown this route once since it restarted and will be on this flight again in mid-June.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/singapore-business-class-worlds-longest-flight/

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

How do guys with massive legs and butts fit into economy?

I don't have massive legs, but I do have very long legs. It ain't easy. One of the many reasons I avoid long plane trips.

I have a friend in Boston that has taken this flight 3 times and a forth coming up next month. He connects to Bangkok. As @Benjamin_Nicholas mentioned this flight has been going since last fall. There is no regular economy , only Business and Premium Economy. Both classes come with a bit of enhanced service. If you book business class far enough out and a bit flexible with your dates, fare can be in the $3500 range.

He likes Singapore as an airline but he likes their fares.

I fly to Bangkok via Cathay Pacific but in the end we arrive about the same time.

Both classes come with a bit of enhanced service. If you book business class far enough out and a bit flexible with your dates, fare can be in the $3500 range.

After this thread was posted I checked return fares for random dates in September, and from Canberra to New York it was about AUD2700 PY and AUD4700 on J. That's comparable to what you cite. These fares used the SQ service CBR-SIN and had an 18 hour layover in Singapore. Travel on SQ's service via Frankfurt was more expensive.

I think some of it has to do with inconsistent flight loads. Many days half full and many days full. But does seem more seats are purchased closer to departure date. So they offer a few cheap fares early on. Also Bangkok has so much competition fares can be lower than most places in SE Asia.

When my spouse used to fly regularly on business from Philadelphia to Singapore years ago, he always had to do it with two stops, one in California and one in either Tokyo or Hong Kong. Between the length of the flying time and the 12 hour time difference, it was always very stressful on the body, and by the time he had adjusted, it was time to return and go through the process again. I refuse to go through that unless I am going to spend at least a week in my destination.

Doubtful I would go on that flight at my age. Years ago, longest flights were Newark-Tokyo, and Chicago-Tokyo. I would be disoriented the next days. I sometimes did Chicago-Miami-Santiago, long day, but wasn't so bad with only one hour time change

Now, eight hours is the most I'll do on one flight, or 10-11 hours in one day. Just long enough for me to get to Maui.

Edited by bashful